My husband and I spent 3 nights here for a small conference. We stayed in the main building on the second floor in a room with a balcony overlooking the beach area. Our king bed was comfy (actually 2 twins put together to make up a king), although I would have preferred down pillows and a duvet to the puffy patchwork quilt and matching pillow shams.
The resort is family owned and operated. The grounds are nice with many flower gardens throughout. There are plenty of quiet places to go off to read a book and a number of benches scattered along the boardwalk that overlooks the shoreline and the lake.
Our room was quite "rustic" in appearance, but comfortable, similar to visiting an old family cottage. The room and resort had a bit of a 70's feel to it with lots of wood, a thin carpet, an old tv (who cares, you're not there to watch tv), a small gas fireplace (which we never used) and a bathroom that although clean, lacked water pressure and while showering, the water would suddenly go from cold to scalding and back again.
Although there is apparently wireless internet available throughout the resort, however, we were unable to access it from our room so instead we brought our laptop out to the computer table in the hallway and accessed it from there.
Our room had a window air conditioner which we did not end up needing as we slept with the sliding patio door open & just the screen door. Someone near us though had their a/c on and it was so loud, we had to close the patio door.
The staff were friendly and the place over all was charming. There are a number of water "toys" available for guests' use, including big water "bikes" and canoes. As part of our convention, the owner brought us out on the lake for a boat ride which was enjoyed by all.
The shoreline of the beach was quite weedy but there are docks everywhere and it was so nice jumping from the dock into the lake for a swim.
There is a large outdoor patio for dining and a very large indoor dining room. I have to say I was very impressed with the food, especially the dinners each night. Excellent! I also appreciated the self serve coffee/tea station at the top of the landing on our floor just outside a large meeting room; it was so nice to be able to make a cup of tea no matter what time of day or night it was.
There was an outdoor pool at the back of the property and a hot tub on the deck of the main building, neither of which we used.
This is a nice size property that is perfectly suitable to groups such as ours for a small convention and for say families gathering for a wedding or family reunion. During the day, there are plenty of chairs and loungers for use at the small beach and at night, a great big bonfire to gather around.
Although there is no spa on site, staff can bring in service providers to the resort, although this service was unavailable during our stay.
This is by no means a fancy spot but it is certainly clean, comfortable and a great place to stay right on the lake with good food and friendly service, plus it's casual rustic cottage style means no dress up is required.
If I had the opportunity, I would definitely return. If you have found this review helpful, please let me know by clicking below.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Westwind is a cozy cedar lodge nestled under tall pines on pink granite rock at the waters edge in a spectacular wilderness setting. About 90 minutes from Toronto & easily accessible. Casual, unpretentious, comfortable. Family owned & operated year round providing nature, tranquility & relaxation. The main lodge offers 31 cozy log cabin style bedsitting rooms with sofa, fireplace, balcony, antiques & original art - 6 with heart shaped jet tubs for two. Common living room. Our chalet has 4 larger suites with many extra touches such as pine floors and cedar ceilings 4 poster bed, overstuffed sofa, larger balcony with a view, large jet tub, fireplace, fridge. They are popular for honeymoons & special occasions or the executive here on a retreat or conference. We provide a welcoming atmosphere with complimentary activities for every season, friendly staff, outstanding surroundings & superb lakeside dining. Majority of our clientele are repeat or referral, we hope you will become one also! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline and HRS so you can book your Westwind Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westwind Inn On The Lake Hotel Buckhorn
- Westwind Hotel Buckhorn
- Westwind Resort Buckhorn
- Westwind Inn Buckhorn, Ontario, Canada