“Magical weekend away...”
Review of Westwind Inn

Westwind Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Buckhorn
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Westwind Inn exceeded all of our expectations for a beautiful and romantic weekend. We spent July 26-28/2013 in a Chalet Suite and we were spoiled by the beautiful room and lakeside setting. We opted for the included breakfast/dinner upgrade and we were not disappointed. Both meals were delicious and filling. We spent most of the weekend in the hammock with our books with breaks spent on the water using the paddle and row boats. Staff were pleasant and helpful and we felt incredibly relaxed and pampered by our stay. We will return yearly to celebrate special occasions and to relax by the lake. Thank-you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Try upgrading to the chalet rooms for a romantic treat!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for the kind words. They are greatly appreciated by my family and staff who work so hard to make your stay enjoyable. We look forward to having you here again.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is the fourth year that I have spent a week with my Mom at the Westwind. We LOVE this getaway spot! It's very close (less than 1.5 hrs from Newmarket) and is a fabulous place to stay. The rooms are lovely and air conditioned - these are regular hotel rooms with air conditioning etc. not a cabin style holiday. The Inn sits right on a gorgeous lake and the Westwind offers canoing kayaking, paddle boats and bikes and boat tours as well as great fishing,.
The dining room is truly 'fine dining' and a lovely breakfast is also available, buffet style. There is a great little pool for dipping which gets great sun morning until evening.
The thing I love most about this Inn is that it is meant for ADULTS. It is QUIET! Most of the guests are readers - quiet couples or adults with their parents.
The service is outstanding!
We plan to go back again next year, for our fifth year in a row. I highly reccommend this Inn for those looking to be outside, in a calm and peaceful environment and wish to enjoy a fine dining experience nightly.
Karen Kalpin

Room Tip: For an even quieter experience ask for a room on the TOP floor - the Inn is very quiet but of course...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the lovely warm review. You and your mother are a delight to have here. So friendly and cheerful. I love that you love my little dog.... so sweet of you! We look forward to your next visit. Thank you again from my family and staff who work so hard to make your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Westwind Inn has clean rooms with firm beds and comfy pillows. The A/C units are nice and quiet; they don't turn on with a disturbing clunky noise like so many of the old A/C units. I did wish the showerheads were adjustable, but the shower worked fine. The staff was incredibly friendly, especially Melanie at the front desk. The surroundings are peaceful and quiet. If you come to the Westwind Inn, it's because you know you'll take advantage of the facilities; canoes, kayaks, hydro-bikes, trails, swimming pool, etc. That is what you are paying for. If you do not wish to partake in those activities, then the rates are a waste of your money. If you need cell phone reception and internet connection in your room, these are spotty. If you enjoy spending your evenings relaxing in front of the T.V., then this location is not for you as the channels are limited. You need to understand the type of Inn that you are booking; the Westwind is great for those who want to be outdoors.

The meals were absolutely delicious. Kudos to the chef! We enjoyed salmon, grilled chicken, perfect vegetables and yummy desserts. Breakfast was a buffet for two of our mornings and we were very pleased with the selection. Coffee was superb.

Now, I will explain the reason why I did not give 5 stars to Westwind. But, this is a reason why I could not give 5 stars to *any* resort in cottage country in Ontario. I was on a getaway with my elderly mother whose mind is still quick, but whose body isn't. She must use a walker to get around. Although there are accessible rooms at Westwind, there is a ramp to the ground floor rooms and the dining room is also on this level (and this is why we chose it; you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find a getaway for my mom who still loves, and deserves, to travel), the grounds are not accessible. Now, we did know this when we decided to book - it is stated clearly on their website - so this isn't so much a complaint, as it is a wish. Resort owners in Ontario would do *so* much to increase their clientele if they would invest in some paved pathways on their property. It wouldn't have to disturb the natural surroundings and it would add so much more to the resort. The staff at Westwind were all so kind, though. We were asked several times if we needed any help, and how we were enjoying our stay. I was even able to drive my mom down the gravel laneway close to the lake, and from there we were able to get her onto the wooden boardwalk - we enjoyed a lovely peaceful afternoon sitting and reading by the water.

All in all, a lovely time at the Inn. For things to do, nearby in Buckhorn we spent some time watching the boats at the Buckhorn lock. Lakefield is about 25 min. away; the main street is quaint, but not too many interesting shops. We visited the Gallery/Art Store beside the Inn (Gallery on the Lake), but I highly suggest you check my review before visiting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor. The floors are really creaky and if you're on the ground fl...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had a retreat for a group of ~30 here and it couldn't have been more pleasant or gone more smoothly. The food was among the best I've ever had at any conference or hotel, fully gourmet 3 course meals for lunch and dinner, and they even made me a personal eggs benedict for breakfast (along with the amazing buffet). Between meals we had 4 session of presentations, a group game, outdoor and hot-tub time, all seemlessly coordinated by the amazing staff, who also made organizing the retreat a very stress-free endeavor. We had a very productive scientific meeting, an effective team building exercise and a relaxing good time all at once. I'd bring any group, small conference or departmental retreat here again (especially during the week when it's not as busy as weekends).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Hi Marty,
Thank you for the lovely review. Hugs from all of us to all of you! We hope to see you here again soon as you were a wonderful group of people and we enjoyed having you here. You were a delight!
Kristi

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We visited this Inn on a Thanskgiving weekend - just an overnight stay. The package deal came with dinner and a buffet breakfast. Both meals were very, very good - not outstanding, but excellent none-the-less. The Inn had a "magical" feel to it - it was truly hidden away and had all the attributes of a rustic, cozy Kawarthas cabin/lodge - lots of "wood", canadiana paraphernalia, trees, beautiful lakefront. The staff were friendly and the grounds were fabulous. The restaurant overlooks the lake with its stunning "mirror" reflections........ Rooms were cozy with fireplaces and lake views and balconies - our room did not have a coffee maker which we found disappointing at the rate of 430$/night - rooms with coffee makers and fridges are extra !. The area offered a wonderful Art Gallery which one must discover if staying at this Inn. We also enjoyed visiting Petroglyphs National Park - all in all lots to do see and do in this area - and a great place to "tuck" into at the end of a "full" day exploring - a little pricey perhaps but still "worth it".

Room Tip: Pay the extra dollars for a lakefront room - it will also give you a coffee maker and a fridge !
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kdk0
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for the lovely and generous review. Hugs to you!

Please stay longer with us next time and you will find that the nightly rates are considerably lower than for a one night stay on a prime long weekend. A one night only on such a weekend is a premium price as we cannot rent the room for the whole weekend to anyone else.

I am glad you enjoyed the meals. Both dinner and breakfast come with a bottomless cup of coffee. If one wishes coffee at other times we have a cosy comfy lounge upstairs with complimentary ground coffee & fresh cream. Coffee maker is available to the guests to brew fresh whenever they wish and relax on comfy sofas & chairs, tables, nice lake view, tv, books, board games.... but you may take your coffee to your room if you wish in the mugs provided.

Please come and visit us again.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Hands down the best sleep I ever had away from home. This in spite of beds that could be updated to a more comfy bed!(the ONLY thing I would change here!) It is def not for all, I came here during march break to take my girls cross country skiing and snow shoeing. these activities were included in our stay. summer would be spectacular here as well because small boats are inclined and the lake here is beautiful! if you want in room entertainment systems, this isnt it. the entertainment is out doors. the spa is nice as is the indoor pool. my highlight was the otters by the dock! they are SOOO cute! the rooms are quiet, cosy, and what you would get if you had a friend with a nice cottage to stay at. you do not compare this place with a downtown hotel, or a Caribbean resort hotel. it is quite different, and for good reason. they are going for the homey cottage feel. the antiques and throw rugs, fireplaces everywhere lend to that.

the restaurant is pricy, but perfect food and staff, if you factor that the staff and food have to be brought in to cook and serve you, it puts the cost into perspective. breakfast was $15 included your standard bacon eggs and toast, with juice and cereal, among other choices such as pancakes. supper was $45 for a great steak 4 course meal. beer/alcohol starts at $5 per bottle and goes up from there. but you can bring your own of this cost is a factor.

we had 2 rooms, and the beds in room #4 were better than the ones on room #12 according to my daughters. for the price we paid, the place was fantastic and everything I had hoped for.

Room Tip: top floor has a bigger view,and the creaky floor wont be an issue like it is below. lake view is wor...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank michaelonmyown
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely and kind review. We are family owned and operated and all of us do our best to make your stay a happy one. We hope you come and visit again.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed for 3 days this past August (2012); accommodation, food, the environment all are excellent. I did my homework, read all the reviews, I must say that I trusted my own guts feeling and gave credit to the Owner for being so connected and on top of all her Guests from critics to excellency. This what guided my decision to my stay. Kudo to the Owner and her Team. Services was excellent, the all resort is well kept, landscaped, outdoor pool and the quietness, the food worth a 10 stars. I will go back you beat!

All the best for 2013! Happy New Year, Ginette

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Thank you for the lovely generous review. It is greatly appreciated by my family and staff.

We look forward to seeing you again! The gardens are in full bloom. The pool sparkling. Hammocks for two are inviting.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckhorn
Village Inn of Lakefield
#1 of 2 in Keene
Beachwood Resort
Beachwood Resort
#1 of 10 in Lakefield

Been to Westwind Inn? Share your experiences!