“Excellent! What a Great Place to Enjoy a Quiet Time”
Review of Westwind Inn

Westwind Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Buckhorn
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed for 3 days this past August (2012); accommodation, food, the environment all are excellent. I did my homework, read all the reviews, I must say that I trusted my own guts feeling and gave credit to the Owner for being so connected and on top of all her Guests from critics to excellency. This what guided my decision to my stay. Kudo to the Owner and her Team. Services was excellent, the all resort is well kept, landscaped, outdoor pool and the quietness, the food worth a 10 stars. I will go back you beat!

All the best for 2013! Happy New Year, Ginette

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Thank you for the lovely generous review. It is greatly appreciated by my family and staff.

We look forward to seeing you again! The gardens are in full bloom. The pool sparkling. Hammocks for two are inviting.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I arranged a meeting for 12 colleagues some with spouses and children.
We found the resort perfect for our needs. The price was reasonable and on par with what we would pay elsewhere, the accommodations were cozy if not a little rustic. The meeting room was beautiful and very conducive for what we had planned. The fireplace is a nice touch in that roon as well. The amenities were plentiful and we made full use of them from waterfront activities to the hot tub and the many trails and a night bonfire. The dining room, food and staff were excellent. Thanks to Michael - the Chef for all his help, and Baily for her great service, and Owners - Dave and Kristi and Inga and James for all their help. The group as a whole had a wonderful stay as did I and my family. We will definitely be back soon.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi rooms are nice..but there is a hot tub too...we used both.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank your for the kind and generous review. Your group was wonderful, nice and friendly as were you.

We hope to see you here again. I think you would enjoy all we have to offer in summer. Swimming pool, beach, canoes, kayaks..... hammocks for two....

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I found this place last year and thought it looked nice, so booked it for an anniversary weekend this year. The grounds are beautiful and the outdoor amenities are great and the front desk staff were very pleasant. However, for the price, the rooms are mediocre - a trip back to the seventies. I don't mind staying in a cabin, but not for the prices being charged. The television was an old one, the mattress passable. There was no coffee or tea available in the rooms - you had to go down the hall. This place probably works well for group conventions, etc. where everyone knows one another and they don't mind congregating in the common room, however, for a quiet weekend retreat (if it had been raining we would have been miserable), I would like a little more comfort.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JanR12_12
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Hi Jan,

I had a look at the room you describe as mediocre. After 22 years of owning the inn I still find the view breathtaking... that is the first thing most guests see. Lake and trees thru a wall of windows and a cosy balcony to relax on. It is a cosy comfortable room.

We have upgraded jet tub rooms as well with slate floor, cedar walls, pedestal sink... heart shaped bath tub. The chalet suites are lovely and larger, built in 1997..

The prices charged include use of the entire resort and resort ammenities, sports equipment, not just a room.

The main lodge was built in late 1986 by Viceroy Homes. We bought in 1991 and promply went about replacing all the guest room furniture... as it was hotel like all identical without character. Each room now has an antique dresser from the early 1900's all different all well built and lovely (in our opinion). Your room had a lovely solid walnut queen size "Mission" style bed with a beautiful quilt.

We continued to renovate... nothing is from the 70's. Yes the television is an old one... I call it an antique in our website... a new one would not get any more channels or better reception as the old ones are like new.

A bottomless cup of coffee or tea is served at breakfast and dinner. No need to make your own. A beverage station is steps from the room you rented with a comfy common lounge next to it. 6 jet tub rooms in the main lodge and 4 suites in the chalet have fridge, kettle and coffee/tea supplies in room.

You booked "room only" for ONE night only. No meals. No delicious romantic dinner at the inn... with a view ... no scrumptious breakfast while you watch the loons go by.

People do not come here to stay in their room. In July people are enjoying free use of canoes, kayaks, rowboats, pedal boats, water bikes, sail boat, putting green, driving net, horseshoes, badminton, swimming pool, hot tub, hiking trails, bikes. Art Galleries, quaint villages.... snoozing in a hammock for 2 under the pines. Much more than just a room is provided in the rate. We also offer a scenic pontoon boat cruise.

There is lots to do in case of rain also. No need to be miserable. Few if any guests come planning to sit in their rooms... we have comfy common areas.... typical guests are couples such as yourself here for a romantic getaway and they like to socialize... in the lobby, common living room, lakefront decks, beach, swimming pool, hot tub... picnic tables around the firepit and lawn areas......and we have a long list of places to visit... perhaps have lunch....

But you arrived late in the afternoon and checked out next morning... did not enjoy a superb meal overlooking the lake. Did not relax.... You used us as a motel, nothing more... and the one night rate is higher than the multiple night rate.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This Inn was fantastic! I attended a photography course for the weekend. The place was cosy & had a cottage like feel to it. They had a few trails to explore. The room was clean with a fire place, TV with limited channels and free WiFi. The bed was ok for sleeping but not a luxury mattress.

The Staff was courteous, friendly and extremely accommodating. The food was fantastic, Chef Michael knows how to blend spices and herbs together. We had a buffet breakfast and three course meals for lunch and dinner. It was a welcome surprise, you won't go away hungry.

The scene was tranquil, peaceful and picturesque. I would definitely recommend this Inn. I'm already planning my next trip....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Paiger3

Thank you for the lovely review. I hope you come and stay with us again. Lots to do in all seasons.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed there in August 2012 and paid $430 per night with dinner and breakfast
- I really wanted to see first hand why the reviews went from 5 star to 1 star
PROs the property is beautiful, the staff are very nice
CONS - generally run down and not worth the money
Restaurant- food good, decor tired, not flexible with seating times
Room (their best suite) not up to standard for the price, nice vaulted ceilings, 30year old tv, $19 coffee maker with jar of Coffemate, bathroom fittings cheapest available
The outdoor hot tub is dirty with ring around it, jets sealed with gobs of caulking and plastic bags
The deck the hot tub is on is rotting and I wondered if weight of tub would crash through. The "spa" has a plant in a 5 gallon cut off peach preserve food tub
Yes it is true - $430 per night and they want you to bring your own towels????
The bathroom towels are cheap and the toilet paper is the cheapest I have ever had the pleasure of using. Pool is small and located back by parking lot
The beach is weedy, They seem a bit understaffed, The entire place was tired and worn out!
We have stayed all over canada and the world and dont mind paying but this place was definitely disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank MarkfromMaple
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

You state you paid $430 PER NIGHT and that "per night" is misleading because you only paid for ONE NIGHT on August 9.... prime vacation time. You paid a premium price for staying only ONE night in our best suite when most people stay for much longer at a lower per night rate.

One night as one night does not provide enough time to enjoy and relax. You checked in only to check out merely 19 hours later. All your neighbors in the chalet during your stay, stayed 3 nights and were very happy. Others later and before stayed 5 - 7 nights for their holiday... All very happy.

I would not say our resort is run down. Main lodge was built in 1986 and chalet 1997. We are newer than most resorts and many are much older... built a century ago. Repairs are done regularly as required. We are family owned and operated for 22 years with 3 generations living on site. We take great pride in our property.

We have so many 5 star reviews and we are grateful to these kind guests. 49 Excellent reviews, 31 Very Good reviews, = 80 great reviews.

The one stars including yours are relatively few. Only 13.
You say we have beautiful property, staff is very nice and food good, yet you rate us as a 1 star.

Re: 1 stars reviews. Many are from the same group of angry women. A couple are from a people who were discovered smuggling in non paying guests. 1 is from an angry woman with a dog she felt should roam freely without a leash on the beach, pool, hot tub area.

Restaurant: Room rates include meals in the package price, we are open for dinner and breakfast only. Dinner reservations are taken at regular dinner hours. Yours was 7:15 p.m. a popular time and you had a nice window seat. Most diners get the flexible time of their choice. The first thing people say when they first see our dining room is "wow what a spectacular breathtaking view." You only say that the décor was tired. It is not... it is antique, timeless, country casual, comfortable. But not your style.

The chalet suite where you stayed is lovely in most peoples opinion. Your room had a beautiful, expensive Durham Furniture suite, a walnut 4 poster queen bed... with high end quilt, huge overstuffed designer sofa... huge comfy wing chair... large bathroom with oversize jet tub & a window.. double french doors...nice stone tiles.... solid pine floors....interesting collectables, balcony with lake view.... fridge.

The chalet was built late 1997 by Linwood homes with quality fixtures and furniture and tv's are in the same new working condition as they were then. Not 30 years old. There is no coffee maker in the room... just a kettle and tea, instant coffee & coffee mate for those who must have a beverage at odd hours. There is a beverage station in a common area with a coffee maker and fresh cream in the fridge available at all times. Check in is after 4:00 p.m. and check out by 11:00 a.m. Most enjoy a bottomless cup of coffee at breakfast and can have another from the lodge coffeemaker pot before leaving if they wish.

Our hot tub is inspected randomly very often by the health inspector and always passes. There is never a "dirty" ring. Water is kept crystal clear and is monitored every hour by a spa technician. There is a notice instructing people to shower with soap before entering the tub. If you do not shower and have lotions, creams and sun tan oils all over your body then these will rise to the surface, collect & foam... We check the tub every hour and if that is the case it would be remedied immediately or the tub closed for maintenance. We take pride in keeping the tub clean. Water is replaced as required. We do not have plastic bags in it.

Staff does an inspection of the property daily to see if anything needs attention. Boards are replaced as needed. The deck boards are not rotted. The hot tub could not crash to the ground. We pay very high insurance premiums and every area of the resort is inspected so we do will not have law suits or personal injury claims. We take pride in maintaining our property.

Our sheets and towels are a "better grade" bought from a reputable hotel supply. Plenty are provided including 2 extra large bath sheets for use with the oversized jet tub in your suite. They are for in-room use. We do our own laundry with well water. We ask that guests bring their own BEACH TOWEL to use at our sand beach and 20' x 40' swimming pool. The pool is in a beautiful location in a meadow at the edge of our forest and is surrounded by gardens a few steps from the main inn. You drove here a short distance so bringing two beach towels should not have presented a problem

We use single ply toilet paper because there are NO SEWERS here in the country. The waste goes into a septic TANK. 2 ply toilet paper is softer, stronger but it does not break down as well as single ply.... it absorbs water, swells up, floats and can clog our pipes causing a sewage back up. It is not the cheapest but the wisest for the septic system.

Most lakes here have some sea weeds...its part of nature.... we rake daily... keep the sand beach nice... water is clear and clean....our typical guest enjoys swimming and using the complimentary water craft.

I totally disagree that entire place is tired and worn out. It is intended to have the look and feel reminiscent of a Rocky Mountain Lodge that has been in existence for some time... not a cookie cutter chain with typical hotel furniture and décor. Everything here is lovingly hand selected by myself and my husband. Nothing is cheap. We have an a beautiful ebony Baldwin Baby Grand piano in our lobby. The Canadiana pine antiques are valuable, as are the hand knotted wool Persian rugs and original art. Most who have knowledge of antiques admire them.

We cannot please everyone, but do read the 5 star reviews below... guests who enjoyed same room, same restaurant....same swimming pool, same hot tub, same towels, same toilet paper, same fixtures ..... the only difference is the people

It seems you were expecting an inner city huge hotel style of getaway. We offer cosy comfortable clean accommodation in a spectacular wilderness setting, family owned and operated by caring people.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I came here on a Dealfind coupon. It was for my honeymoon (well, we eloped and wanted to go somewhere quickly). I thought it was so cozy. Ok the beds are not the Hyatt, but that's why you do activities all day to just pass out at night. The jacuzzi was great (loud as a mother though... but thankfully there was NO ONE in the lodge when we were there, so it was on - all night :D, with us in it ofcourse). The TV was SUPER RETRO, and I loved it. Does anyone remember how the picture looks on the tube tv's - swear to you I loved it, and I am a technofile, and I just loved a weekend with that type of TV. Enough channels, and the sound was fine. Everything was nice. The staff, the restaurant. At night my wife and I howled at wolves, and they howled back- HOW COOL IS THAT! Dinner was good (not super cheap, but good), breakfast was alright, small... The room was great, the fire place was hype, the place is just quaint, I loved it! Great deal and great place to go!

Room Tip: Choose a jacuzzi room- no questions asked ;)
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sulty R
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Thank you for the nice, kind and very funny review! Come and enjoy the summer activities we are offering Canoes, kayaks, rowboats, water bikes. Sand beach, swimming pool, hot tub.
The gardens are lovely.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you love peace, tranquility, natural beauty, a relaxed, home-like, adult environment then Westwind Inn is definitely a place we would HIGHLY recommend. The staff are very gracious, accommodating and friendly. The rooms are quaint, very comfortable and tastefully decorated. The gas fireplaces add a romantic touch in the cooler months. (OK, so yes, the TV's are antiquated and they do work, and in any case, who goes away to a retreat-like setting to watch TV?) The rooms are clean and have private, spacious balconies with beautiful views of either the lake or the inlet and multiple, assorted mature trees. At any time of year it is very peaceful, relaxed and surrounded by natural delights. And, if like me, you have multiple requirements regarding special dietary needs, rest assured that with chef Michael you are in excelllent hands. He really goes out of his way to prepare delicious dishes that honour one's preferences and needs!!! All round we LOVE going to Westwind where everything is top rate and extremely enjoyable! (We've gone many times since the mid nineties and most recently this Sept., 2012) Lynn and Ross

Room Tip: We've been in multiple rooms over the years and they vary little except the view (lake or inlet...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the warm generous review. It is greatly appreciated by our family and staff who work so hard trying to make the inn a success.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckhorn
Village Inn of Lakefield
Beachwood Resort
#1 of 10 in Lakefield
2 mi away
Shambhala Bed and Breakfast

Been to Westwind Inn? Share your experiences!