“Great Cottage for a base with kids to tour Nova Scotia + PEI + SWIM”
Review of Cambra Sands

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Malagash
Cambra Sands
Reviewed August 11, 2013

No issues with this wonderful cottage and pleasant hosts. Loved the view from Arabel cottage window and the free DVDs were a nice touch for the kids. Minor problem was mosquitoes, especially in the morning. No fault of the owners but have to note this nonetheless. Could be all the rain that preceded our 10 night visit. We did trips to Five Islands Provincial Park, Melmerby beach, Joggins Fossil cliffs and Cape D'or, Parsboro and Pictou and still had a good 3 hours swimming when the tide was out (upon our return in late afternoon) and much less mosquitoes. Also did full day trip to PEI with swimming at PEI National park. If you need fresh sea food, we recommend the shop in Port Howe, about 30 minutes from the cottage. For PEI great dinner, try the Fisherman's Wharf in Charlottetown - great stuff. PEI is just 1.5 hours from the cottage via Confed Bridge. Nova Scotia seems to have much better scenery than PEI so we do not know why everyone is talking about PEI all the time and we did the full Central Coastal Road trip there. Nova Scotia scenery is awesome and we recommend the day trips listed above if you wish to stay by the beach. For genuine souvenirs, try mineral shop in Prsboro +m Sara Pottery in Tatamagouche. For more rugged journey, try Cape Breton and stay in Badeck a few nights too (Inverness Cottage Resort is good). Hope this helps and thanks Cambra Sands. We would definitely return!

Room Tip: Arabel Cottage has the best view!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Accommodations were perfect. Plenty of room, excellent facilities. We enjoyed the entire week of fishing, canoeing, family dinners and just sitting and watching the sunset. We are ready to book the same next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephanie R
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Modern cottages, extremely clean, friendly, fires on the beach that are already stocked with wood and a great place for kids and dogs! This was our second stay for a girls weekend getaway! We absolutely love it!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Quigley12
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our extended family of 14 stayed in 2 cottages for the weekend."Feronia " and ''Aurora'.both 3 bedrooms .Most of our time was spent together in one or the other cottage.Sharing delicious meals,drinks,games and singsongs.We were all so pleased with the accommodations,and would certainly chose this place again.Even with cold weather ,it was nice to walk the beach and come back to a warm and cozy cottage.Definitely would be a super place in the warm summer months too. P.S........The Easter Bunny even came at Cambra Sands!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Cambra Sands was the perfect winter seaside getaway. The only things I took with me were my laptop, books and food; everything else was provided. I was spoiled with the in-floor heating, heated bed, fireplace, new TV, and wifi. Already looking forward to the next time.

Room Tip: I choose the cottage away from the hot-tub and children's play area as I was on a solo journey b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I love Cambra in the Summer time, I love it in the Fall, I love it in the Spring and now I know I love it the most in the Winter! Fewer people, amazing outdoor hot tub, great view of the ice and seals and even saw a coyote out on the ice. Quiet, majestic and sooooo relaxing. Neat, clean and the cottage has everything you might need. so....please keep this N.S's secret!

In January I flew to Cuba for a week of computer writing in the sun/ beach and yet just a weekend away to Cambra in the winter provided me with equally amount of relaxed computer time and the outdoor hot tub was the treat! I so loved my quality time there.

Room Tip: Even with just 2 women, having your own room, just gives you that little extra bit of privacy and ch...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed that this property for a little winter getaway with friends. We stayed in the Leander cottage and four adults and three dogs lived in that cottage for a weekend, quite comfortably. The cottage was very well stocked with kitchen necessities, dish detergent, waste bin bags, paper products and fluffy towels. The dishwasher was a huge bonus!

Cambra Sands is a great place, located just moments from Jost Winary but hours away from worries, noise, and concern. During our stay we met two other couples who were staying at Cambra Sands for their 16th time! This is a great property to get away to. Next time we go back I think we will stay for at least a week, as a weekend was just not enough time to enjoy the peace and serenity that comes with a vacation at Cambra Sands.

All of the wonderful things that people have to say about this property are true, and I can’t wait to go back. It’s that simple!

Things to keep in mind if you are staying in the Leander cottage:

Storage is minimal, so don’t over pack. This includes closet storage in the bedrooms. There are laundry facilities less than a minute walk away from the Leander cottage, so there is no need to pack your whole wardrobe.

The kitchen is very well equipped for the most basic of meal preparation, so you don’t need to bring a lot with you. There is a grill right outside the front door, so cooking is a breeze at this little cottage.

The refrigerator is just about standard size, however; there is no storage space on the refrigerator door for condiments, pop cans, etc. The plastic pieces that snap on to the refrigerator door to make door storage possible have been removed.

The stove is apartment-sized, so it’s small but very functional. A 9x13 pan will fit in the oven but a standard cookie sheet will not. If you are planning to do any cooking, keep that in mind.

If you are staying at the cottage(s) during the cooler months, please note that the thermostats are locked and cannot be accessed by guests. You will have to call someone on the staff to lower/raise the temperature to a comfortable level. We thought this was slightly odd as we have never stayed at a property where you were not permitted to adjust the thermostat. Our cottage was at 25C when we arrived, so we had to open some windows to bring down the temp. The bedrooms are also very warm, so flannel pajamas are not needed.

Speaking of bedrooms, while the beds, linens and pillows are adequate, for those who like soft, round, fluffy pillows, it would be wise to bring your own. We always bring our own pillows and we were glad we did.

I don’t like writing less than positive comments in my reviews, but I have to be fair to the travelers who read them. With that, I was a little disappointed with the level of cleanliness as well as the lack of overall maintenance. With all of the great things that I heard about this property I wasn’t expecting the cottage to be in the condition that it was in—which brings this property below a luxury rating for me.

I understand this property is very busy and it’s always booked up, which is great! However, some extra attention to basic cleaning and upkeep are needed.

The Leander is a beautiful cottage and I would stay there again, however; the walls, ceilings, moldings and internal doors are in need of cleaning, touch ups, and repainting in some cases. The kitchen cabinets are beginning to show their wear, and had food stain residues in need of cleaning. We were able to wash off the food smudges, but cleaning up after other guests isn’t the best way to start a vacation.

The closet door in the second bedroom—the room with two beds—doesn’t work well, and I was concerned that every time I opened it, it was going to come off the track. The window in the second bedroom also needs to be serviced. It is difficult to open and closing it makes such a horrible, loud noise I woke up the whole house when I closed it. The bedspreads—while clean—were stained as were some of the towels.

None of the above are deal breakers as it pertains to a return trip, but based on the reviews I expected a bit more from the overall condition of the cottage.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jjlalumi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malagash
Fox Harb'r Resort
#1 of 6 in Tatamagouche
Forest Haven Inn B & B
Forest Haven Inn B & B
#4 of 6 in Tatamagouche

Been to Cambra Sands? Share your experiences!