“Overpriced in terms of overall experience.”

and 1 more site!
De Langenhof Guest House
Ranked #2 of 5 Riebeek-West B&B and Inns
Sandton, South Africa
“Overpriced in terms of overall experience.”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

OVERALL: the room and establishment was incredibly clean, beautifully furnished and well equipped with basic amenities. The fact is it’s just not worth the room rate.

ROOM: We stayed here for one evening in a twin room. On arrival we received a coldish welcome form the owner. The twin room was incredibly small with little space for moving around. The DSTV was not working and when approached the owner could not rectify the problem. There was a clock in the hallway outside our door which chimed one every hour which subsequently woke us up continuously during the night and made our stay quite unpleasant.

BREAKFAST: The breakfast was disappointing considering the room rate and what I have received elsewhere at the same price. I asked for fried aubergines and when my plate arrived I was given two pieces each the size of a 5 rand coin. It was actually quite a laugh. Also we were each given one piece of toast and then asked afterwards if it was enough.
When we left we were asked quite rudely by the host if we had taken anything form the courtesy bar as if we were dishonest.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Iloveshoesalot
GPWfmPE, Owner at De Langenhof Guest House, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Dear Iloveshoesalot

This was the first time that the DSTV did not work (ie, it wasn't as if the problem had been around for a while). Mike checks all TVs and decoders in every room before guests arrive. He did apologise and offered to try and fix it; the apology was accepted in good grace and the offer to fix it declined, as your partner suggested you would then watch some of our DVDs. Mike has since driven into Cape Town and had the DSTV decoder repaired.

We apologise that the chiming of the grandfather clock woke you and will, from now on, switch it to silent at night.

Apart from our fresh fruit, sometimes stewed fruit, fruit juices, yoghurts, milk, 4 cereals and 2 mueslis, our cooked breakfast is, we think, quite a reasonable variety, namely, eggs, bacon, sausage, creamed mushrooms, fried tomato and fried brinjal. We do only provide 2 pieces of brinjal per plate, but guests are always welcome to request more of anything. We do check to ensure everything is in order. As I prefer to get my toast hot, I often ask if I should bring a slice each and then check later, or bring 4 slices at the same time. I apologise if I did not put that question to you, although I do always ask if guests would like more toast, whether a or not they've had 1 or 2 slices already.

We apologise you thought us rude when asking if you'd had anything from the courtesy bar. We ask, as guests often forget to tell us; we do not think that they intentionally leave without paying.

I am sorry that you felt we were overpriced, especially as we have not increased our prices since September 2010.

Kind regards
Gail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We spent a night here during the town's Medfest.

The B&B is set in beautiful grounds and centrally located. The central areas are tastefully decorated.

Unfortunately, the negatives outweigh the aesthetic positives. Welcome by one of the owners, Mike was not particularly friendly albeit he did give us the necessary information. The room we had leading from the verandah was basic and small, particularly the bed which I assume was a short double size. The bathroom was fairly basic but had a nice sized shower. The walls were a bit thin and we could hear comings and goings at all hours. Breakfast, although well served, was simple and not a great selection at the cereal/fruit bar. They didn't have a credit card facility.

All in all, felt the room rate was a bit too pricey for this establishment which should be rated 3 stars at best.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trekker1980
GPWfmPE, Owner at De Langenhof Guest House, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear Trekker1980

I am sorry you felt that we were not worth our 4 star grading; all rooms get checked annually by a TGCSA representative to ensure we are still 4 star. Unfortunately you were in our smallest room, as you were the last to make a reservation for that night. In future, we will mention this being a smaller room when guests reserve the last room.

We provide 2 different mueslis, 4 cereals, and a fresh fruit salad made from at least 12 different fruits, so I am sorry you were not happy with the cereal/fruit bar. In addition to the above, we sometimes provide mixed stewed fruit, which was the case on this particular Sunday morning. Suggestions as to how we can improve this will be most welcome, as we pride ourselves on our breakfasts.

re The lack of credit card faciltiy: this is my fault entirely, as after you'd gone I realised I should have mentioned that you can pay by credit card via the laptop, after you'd asked if we had a credit card machine (we don't). For this I apologise.

Kind regards
Gail
Cape Town
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I recently spend a wonderful weekend at Gail and Mike's lovely B and B. The welcome was warm, the breakfasts were delicious and Gail and Mike's attention was never overwhelming. I spent a delightful afternoon reading on the verandah being serenaded by birds. We left feeling restored.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary Lou Q
Reviewed February 7, 2012

The comfortable room, the attentativeness of Gail and Mike, the beautiful setting and the provision of all necessary amenities was capped by a marvellous breakfast. Attention to detail in its presentation was the proverbial cherry on top!

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fastidi0us
Reviewed December 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this lovely guest house for two nights in December 2011. One can make a lot of comments about the physical attributes of the lovely place and its beautiful surroundings, but in my experience these can be very subjective. What one can however comment on more objectively is the excellent service provided by the owners. Nothing is too much trouble and they are attentive without being intrusive. Most important, they are genuinely nice people. I would highly recommend this guest house to anyone.

Room Tip: We had a garden room, which provided good privacy.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank francoismuts
Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2011

de Langenhof Guesthouse is a popoular B&B for Cape Town residents attending weddings in the district.Mike & Gail- being 'foodies' themselves- out on the best breakfast ever- all natural and best qaulity. The verandah we sat on was quite exquisite is surrounded by a peaceful garden with views to the mountains. Gail and Mike are great hosts and offered top advice on what to do in the area.

Room Tip: The bigger luxury rooms are downstairs costing an extra R100 per night. We stayed in the smaller of...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tim C
Reviewed October 16, 2011

What a pleasure! Gail welcomed us with a warm smile into their beautiful and cozy guesthouse. The rooms were just perfect with attention down to the last detail. Morning tea could not have been any better while sitting on the couches on their veranda overlooking the mountains and Riebeek Valley with the sun slowly rising...What a pleasure.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Janita T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riebeek-West
Riebeek Valley Hotel
#1 of 2 in Riebeek-West
Dennehof House
Dennehof House
#3 of 5 in Riebeek-West

Been to De Langenhof Guest House? Share your experiences!