The Wheatsheaf, Combe Hay
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
  • Pool
  • Room Service
All reviewsthe pubmini barlemon solesunday lunchroaring log fireroast beeflarge gardenrural locationbeautiful countrysidefamily get togetherwarm welcomepark and ridecooked to perfectionfollowing morningbreakfast was deliciousbathspaniel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on a romantic weekend away and it was absolutely perfect. Very attentive hosts, beautiful room and delicious food and all at an incredibly reasonable price. We would go back in a heartbeat! If you are looking or a picturesque retreat with great attention to detail, book a weekend at the Wheatsheaf!

Room Tip: We stayed in the barn room, located over the road from the pub so it was very private and peaceful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amz81
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was looking for somewhere comfortable and cosy to meet my sister for lunch, half way between Bristol and Bath. The wheatsheaf was a perfect choice. Very relaxed, attentive service and varied menu at a reasonable price all set in beautiful unspoilt countryside but still only 20 minutes from Bristol. We even had the lovely working cocker spaniel snuggle up with us on the sofa, hope she delivers her puppies safely!
We enjoyed a very pleasant couple of hours and will hopefully return!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vickijw
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here as overnight stop on way to Cornwall, delightful pub in a lovely location, warm welcome, shown our room, went for a good walk in the lovely countryside surrounding the pub. Came back to the pub for early tea, they catered well for our 1 year old, very friendly staff, good food, good wine and good selection of beers. Breakfast in the morning was delish. Would recommend it the only thing I would say is that the floor of our room could have benefited from a good Hoover, but apart from that, very good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kittenmagic
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I ummed and ahhed about writing this review. Not because I felt I couldn't lavish praise on the Wheatsheaf, far from it, but because I fear the more people who know about it, the less likely I am to get a room when I want.

There are some places where you can rave about the food, some you rave about the service, others about the setting. The Wheatsheaf ticks every box with aplomb. It offers a service you'd expect from a 5 or 6 star hotel, but at a fraction of the cost.

We were blessed over the weekend we stayed with fine weather and whilst looking out over the vista, I had to pinch myself just to remind me that we weren't in the foothills of Tuscany. Family run, the Wheatsheaf was friendly beyond reproach, polite, good natured and exceptional in all aspects.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying or eating here, just please leave room for us at the inn.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nikgarston
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Yesterday we were lucky enough to eat lunch sitting outside the inn in glorious sunshine looking over the beautiful valley. The food was delicious, with very fresh whole lemon soles with crayfish and caper butter, followed by excellent banoffi pie semifreddo. Friendly service from the owner's son,

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple