“Good restaurant, Very cramped accommodation. Rating refers to dining experience.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Old Forge Seafood Restaurant and Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Thursford B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 8, 2013

You will get a friendly welcome here. Colin, his wife and staff did all they could to make us feel at home. It is a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde establishment as the restaurant is excellent but the accommodation is very cramped so I split my review into two parts.

RESTAURANT.
Colin is main chef and is clearly accomplished. The food was good and the portions enormous. My main course was delicious but I couldn’t eat it all as there was so much. I did manage to fit a dessert in though…. Everywhere was very clean and Colin came personally to ensure we were enjoying the food. He is very amusing with a big personality. Previous reviews have said he was a little overbearing but I found him to be good company and entertaining. If you are a retiring type or less social I can understand that he might seem a little awing but that is how head chefs should be. The restaurant is a bit dated but I found it more charming for that. It is the real deal and it is for that I give the venue four stars.

ACCOMODATION.
Ooops, this is the venue’s Achilles heel. The rooms are definitely below average. My room was very cramped. I had to walk in sideways because the wardrobe blocked the entry. The light pull was not near the bed. There was a wood roof beam which blocked the route from the bed to the toilet meaning one had to duck severely, awkward in the dark. The washbasin is small and crammed in the corner of the room. The toilet is electric and briefly noisy so during the night you could hear the other guests using theirs. The shower had virtually nil flow and impossible temperature control. Everything was very clean but one gained the impression costs had been cut severely on the room etc. The accommodation I would give two stars verging on one.

I would like to eat here again but definitely would not stay overnight again. Shame, as it would be good if the rooms were improved.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlbertJacques

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Would not recommend this establishment to anyone, manager extremely rude, food awful, and rooms you could not swing a cat in, would never stay again.
Food served on cold plates and when complained the owner made a big thing about it and humiliated me in front of other guests, he did ask was everything alright, so I told him it was not, obviously does not like criticised.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
12  Thank SueHay49
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and myself stopped here for one night and had an eveing meal in the restraurant. The food and service in the restraurant was excellent and friendly.Breakfast was tasty and fresh. The room was nice and clean. i would recommend a stay here to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PShrubb
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed the night and had a meal in the restaurant with friends, the meal was very good, and for the price the accomodation is good but basic and comforteable. It is perfect for a visit to a lovely area and only ten minutes from the Chritmas spectacular which is handy for after show drinks. The meal and breakfast in the morning are good local products. Thanks Colin and Sarah and will book next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank DandEssex
wigglesNorfolk, Manager at The Old Forge Seafood Restaurant and Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Many thanks for your kind comments and we wish you a happy new year and hope you had a great Christmas. Incidentally, anyone who is reading this review please note that we are only three minutes away from the show not ten.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed the night at The Old Forge and had a great time. Our room was nice, a little basic maybe but a comfortable bed and an en suite bathroom. The meal though was an amazing experience, everything was perfect in this small intimate restaurant. Breakfast in the morning was equally as good and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wednesday7pm
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay to visit the Spectacular. Food is, as always, amazing. Colin and Sarah are really welcoming and friendly and Colin (the chef) always takes the trouble to talk to the diners to ensure they are happy with their meal.

Will definitely return next year.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JandB40
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We booked the Old Forge for the second time, last night, before going on to the Just so good
Thursford Spectacular and received the same warm welcome as before (Xmas 2010).
Friendly staff showed us to our table and in no time Sarah was at our side just checking all was OK. Although it seems a strange time to eat, (4.30 ) our taste buds were soon buzzing with the
choices on the very full menu. I won't bore you with what we all eat but the 4 of us were really happy ( and Full) I know I shouldn't have but the Bread & Butter Pudding was crying out to be tasted so 1 ordered and 4 spoons , we all agreed that it was delicious.
Colin (chef a title he does not use) just checked every so often that all was OK.
Living in Norfolk we are very lucky to have many good Restaurants. But I can't wait for the spring/ summer to try one of Colin's, Fruit de Mer If it is half as good as last nights it will be wonderful.
Thanks to Colin, Sarah and the Staff

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Terry M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thursford
Wensum Lodge Hotel
#3 of 6 in Cley Next the Sea
Kings Head Hotel
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 2 in North Elmham

Been to The Old Forge Seafood Restaurant and Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!