“Accommodation Value in Claremorris”
Review of Dalton Inn Hotel

Dalton Inn Hotel
Dalton Inn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Claremorris
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a small country town hotel situated on the main street in Claremorris. When I saw accommodation on the Internet advertised for €35 for a single room I was tempted. It was more or less what I had expected. Naturally for that price it was not going to be opulent and breakfast of course was not included but I had it anyway for an extra €7.50. How can you go wrong?

The room I had was bright, clean and comfortable and had a TV and tea-making facilities. It was of a reasonable size and I had a good night's sleep thanks to the comfortable bed and a quiet environment. And it was adequately heated even in our so-called moderate climate! The only niggle I had was in the bathroom in that the soap which came in a wall-mounted dispenser was hard to manage being so high above the hand basin and which needed some considerable pressure to release.

Breakfast was the big surprise here, and a very pleasant one at that. There was not a buffet in sight and it is the first time in ages that everything was brought to my table, including juice and cereals. Not alone could the breakfast not be faulted but the fry was arguably one of the best I have ever had anywhere. Superb ingredients lightly cooked to perfection. Take a bow Christine in the kitchen, I enjoyed it and it has set me up for the day. Well done!

Wifi is a little on the slow side but quite useable throughout the hotel. The hotel has no lift (elevator) but if you can make your own way up and down then there are plenty of people to help with the luggage. Parking can be a big problem here. The only available parking is on-street and the charge is a steep 60c per hour for such a small Irish country town. I would have stayed the rest of my sojourn in Claremorris at this hotel but the on-street meter-fed parking is a big drawback so I stayed in a hotel in a nearby town which had its own car park. Mayo County Council take note! Some allowances must be made for guests who cannot or who are not inclined to spend their daylight hours feeding parking meters. Change the system please!

The breakfast was the big surprise here. There was not a buffet in sight and it is the first time in ages that everything was brought to the table, including the juice and cereal. Not alone could the breakfast be faulted but the fry was arguably one of the best I have ever had anywhere. Superb ingredients cooked to perfection. Thanks to Christine in the kitchen, I enjoyed it and it set me up for the day.

Music in the bar area was set at a suitably low level and the TV sound was also at a reasonable level. It was not obtrusive and so the bar was a comfortable place to sit and read in the evening.

I would like to visit this hotel again the near future but the parking issue will always be a real problem for people like myself.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
11  Thank Gretry

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Small hotel but very comfortable and staff are very friendly. I received a large room which was fantastic but some of the other people in the group got very small rooms. Breakfast was basis but nice and food in the restaurant was grand. All the staff seemed to just anything and whenever you needed help at reception you had to ring a bell and wait for someone to come. Reasonably priced, great location and some of the rooms are lovely.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank oohshinny
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night recently as we were attending wedding in Claremorris. We found the hotel very centrally located in the town. The staff were very friendly and helpful. When I rang to book the room I was dealing with Ann who was brilliant and advised me of the local amenities hairdressers, swimming pool etc. She also told me, which I didn't know as this was our first time to visit the west from Dundalk that Knock was less than a ten minute drive away from the hotel and was worth visiting while we were there which we did. Unfortunately I did not to get to meet Ann as she was off duty that weekend. We found all the staff we dealt with very friendly especially the lady who served the beakfast on the Saturday morning. The breakfast was lovely and well presented and the dining room was spotless. The bedroom was a good size and the bathroom was a bit on the small side but was adequate. We stayed on a friday nite and had street facing room but were not disturbed in any way by street noise. All in all we enjoyed our stay and will defineteley return when we visit the west again. We found this hotel to be good value also. Many thanks to Ann for her friendly manner and helpfulness. Margaret and Vincie, Dundalk.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Margt
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We Will return definately.
Hotel located on main street, freshly painted outside
Food excellent served by super friendly young chefs on carvary who obviously enjoy their work.
Have stay before years ago since then hotel been recently revamped, warm friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank jkusa2081
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Whilst in Claremorris last week, we popped into the Dalton for lunch. Three of us chose bacon and cabbage from the lunchtime Carvery selection (with additional vegetables and the Chef's 'own concoction' which is basically cheese and potato pie). The food was delicious and was served by the chef who was friendly and welcoming. The food is good simple home cooked food which was obviously cooked with pride and love. Very nice and well worth a visit if you are passing through Claremorris and fancy some good wholesome food at lunchtime.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank socialchap
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed for a 4 night long weekend end of November. Close to everything in town, friendly all Irish staff and good food. The room was clean and comfortable but the bathroom was a bit cold and the pillows were like rocks. Apart from that we would stay again.

Room Tip: No lifts to the rooms, so don't bring heavy luggage you can't carry upstairs.