“Served It's Purpose”

Dalton Inn Hotel
Dalton Inn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Claremorris
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed overnight here recently and to be honest it was ok for 1 night but that would be it. We had a twin room which was small. The bathroom contained a toilet and shower - tiny room, not really a good standard and the sink was in the main bedroom! The beds were comfortable enough and extra blankets were provided if needed. The tea/coffee making facilities were ok. Parking is a bit of a problem unless you are lucky enough to get a spot directly outside the hotel, but with a nightclub there too, could be risky. We parked around the corner in a quiet area and it was ok. The breakfast was great the next morning and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 20, 2012

I recently had Sunday Lunch in the Dalton Inn. The menu had a nice variety, and was priced at €11.50 per adult, which is pretty average for a pub Sunday Lunch. The menu also stated that half portions were available. As there was no one tending the till when I ordered our food, I naiievely assumed that the half portion of food would also compare with the average pub grub half portion price of about €6 or €7. I was shocked when I paid €10 for a HALF portion of food, on a substantially smaller plate. What a rip off, only €1.50 cheaper than the full portion!!! The food was ok, not fantastic, but not the worst I've had. Certainly won't be eating there again.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mahersbars
Reviewed September 24, 2011

ok this is not the ritz and doesn't pretend to be. ~Budget price with budget accommodation and probably the smallest hotel bathrooms i have ever seen. Great breakfast and very friendly staff nothing is a problem.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mattyR186418
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Banging music until 3.30 am and then drunk people shouting until 4.30am..Should have been told at check in. Man at check out just shrugged and said that i should of been informed when i booked??!!!!Travelling on business. If it was pleasure i would of joined them! Never again..

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank suziLetterkenny
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I booked this hotel as a stopover on the way to Galway , The weather was awful- gale force winds when I got into Claremorris. The hotel was very quiet and the night porter gave me keys. My room was large and nicely decorated with TV, Hair Dryer, Kettle , etc. The bathroom was a decent size and nicely decorated. I was really impressed by the availability of an electric radiator in the room, to supplement heating.
Breakfast was freshly cooked next am. I forgot to specify lightly poached eggs and got very hard eggs. These were changed with a smile.
There were a number of other guests having breakfast , mainly commercial.
I had not checked out reviews and if I had I would not have booked but my experience was good and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank hecoba
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Having stayed at the "Dalton" many times I can definitely say never again. It is a shame to see a place decline so much that is so conveniently situated. The arrival is always a joy but I think it just sums up the falseness of the place. The room was relatively clean but is so desperate for a re-vamp. The bed was rock hard and I have never had to try and sleep with such a brick-like pillow. The hot tap in the bathroom had to be run for at least 10 minutes before it got hot but the bath taps gave you instant scalding water. The shower screen needed a good clean due to soap scum. There was a terrible drain like smell in the bathroom on both mornings that we were there. On arrival I was quite pleased to not be in a room at the front of the hotel as on our previous visit it was impossible to sleep due to the noise from the bar and the street. My joy was short lived!!! All we could hear was thumping music from their own night club/disco. I then looked out of the window to be greeted by tin roofs and some sort of balcony that was absoleutely covered in cigarette buts, dirty discarded socks and general rubbish etc.
Breakfast the next morning was disgraceful. We were served by a pleasent lady and ordered 2 Irish breakfasts - easy enough I thought!!! Oh no obviously not. It arrived on a large dinner plate all decorated and consisted of the following. 2 slices of hard (so hard it snapped) bacon, 2 burnt hard dry chipolatas, 2 tiny slices of black pudding again so hard that the fork would not go into it and an egg that was burnt on the bottom. I immediately pushed it to the other end of the table absoleutely furious that somebody had the Irish charm to dish it up and then the waitress had the cheek to put it in front of me. I waited 15 minutes to see if she came to see if all was ok after my husband and I had seen her keep glancing over at us. OH NO in the end i called her to complain that it was inedible. She was apologetic and ran like a scalded cat with the breakfast back to the kitchen. Another arrived 10 minutes later that had been freshly cooked.
The next morning we had to leave early before breakfast was being served. We were greeted by a young irish lad who was the night porter. He was lovely and served us grapefruit , toast and coffee and could not of been more helpful.
Dalton Hotel - You need to look at what you are doing and your accomodation and whats more adjust your prices accordingly. 50euro per person per night is a disgrace when your facilities are just about youth hostel standard.
You severely lack Irish charm and hospitality. I just wonder if you would have served that breakfast to one of your locals????

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Boslyn
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Stayed here with a group of cyclists.

When we were checking in a hotel manager came to help the new receptionist (who was absolutely lovely and far more suited to her job than the manger, she was very friendly and helpful)

when the manager came over he was evidently confused and frustrated, he did not have a clue as to what was going on with the rooms and only seemed to come over to "help" to meddle with the new receptionist who was doing a fantastic job.

He was extremely rude. He then followed people asking how many people were in their rooms.

The rooms are old and very poorly laid out, chairs placed in front of tvs, electric shave socket under the tv and nowhere near a mirror, kettle on one side of the room and cups etc on the complete opposite.

We had dinner there, and i had the brie which was lovely although they forgot the raspberry coulis but they brought it out. The waitress didnt seem to know what was going on she was nice but in the wrong profession, when we went to pay she didnt know what to do and in came the hotel manager again, however this time he seemed to know what was going on.

The sleep quality was abosultely appaling, i felt like i was lying in the middle of a nightlcub, it was SO LOUD, not one person had a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was another joke, it was chaos, I had to order my breakfast 3 times before anything came out and i had to order tea 4 times. Toast was brought out half an hour before the eggs that were meant to go with it. It was so disorganised and the whole thing set us back an hour!

Room Tip: Dont stay here