“Good Food.. Need more seating?”

McWilliam Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Claremorris
Galway, Ireland
“Good Food.. Need more seating?”
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stopped by to the McWilliam Park last Sunday to the Carvery Lunch. On arrival, there was a good selection on the menu. The place was cramped, and a lack of seating for families and indeed anybody was clearly evident. There were no staff to ask help from, except those behind the bar.
The queue started almost on top of the bar chairs.
Finding seating was a challenge, yet we found a few.

I did complain to this hotel once about its carvery lunches, however, things seem to be improving :)

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 19, 2014

stayed here overnight, friendly front desk, big room, seemed clean, despite being a bit of a weird smell when entering restaurant the food was very nice indeed. nice big bar area. missed breakfast so can't comment here. hotel let down like most other hotels with loud housekeeping preventing any sort of lie in the following morning......

Co. Clare
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in a family room last week and had a great experience. The kids loved the pool and the kids club (the adults loved the kids club too!). We ate in the bar the first night and the restaurant the second night. Both were lovely and the staff were exceptional-going that extra mile to keep the kids happy (especially Fintan who was a big hit!). Being friendly and helpful costs nothing and we left both dinner and breakfast with smiles all round. We will definitely return for another break in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

I reviewed this hotel before a couple of years ago on a one night stay and wasn't very complimentary on that occasion as room was outdated and lots of items not working. This time I stayed with my family for 3 nights for a family wedding and I must say it has much improved. Not the best family deal I have got and I still think a charge of €25 per child for b&b is steep for children so young who are sleeping on a camp bed and eating a slice of toast!! Rooms are average size and functional. Wifi was rubbish in our room. We had dinner one night included and that was the highlight of the hotel facilities. Staff in restaurant were fantastic, really nice and friendly and the food was excellent. Can highly recommend the steak (was €5 supplement on set menu) but well worth it. We were there for a wedding and weddings are part and parcel of this hotel so would be very noisy if you were there for a holiday and the bar is very busy on a Saturday night. Leisure centre is a great facility though.

Knock, Ireland
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

We happened to be passing through claremorris last sunday as we were stuck for time we decided to go to the mc william for a carvery lunch as we had been there before and it was lovely, bud sadly this time round the food was shocking and totally overpriced for what we got. There was pickled onions in the gravy the veg was over boiled resulting in over cooked sprouts and peas that were all wrinkly threr scoops of mash and no roast potato and on top of that it was €12.50 definatly not 4 ☆ food if you want decent carvery try park hotel in kiltimagh better quality and quantity for same price

4 Thank jamie M
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I go regularly to this hotel mostly for dancing, it is always a good esperience. All the staff are lovely and always a good atmosphere. There is always a buzz in this hotel, the food is generally good in the restaurant but I personally dont like carvery..so try to give that a miss.....The rooms are fine but there are pictures on the walls of certain rooms, esp 135, and are of a very disturbing nature....I have to take them down...wonder if anyone else thinks so too! In general it is the staff who make this hotel so pleasant....from reception to the bar to the restaurant...they are all brilliant!

Room Tip: Rooms to the front are noisy traffic wise but rooms at the back can be over a boiler which can be no...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Despite the fact that was a very good hotel in many ways, I would have to say that I didn't get the best welcome / treatment on arrival. I booked a single room through booking.com which stated that the room was suitable for one adult with a cot /child's bed, which was ideal as I staying alone with my 21 month old. I requested a cot on booking. On arrival I spoke to a lady at the front desk who told me that I had not mentioned a baby on my booking. When I said I had, she replied "oh well you didn't book directly with us". Does this mean that I am not as important of a customer to them??? When I went to show her my booking confirmation, she produced her copy and said it was not written on theirs. I was then able to show her that it was clearly written on her page 'Baby cot required please'. She told me that housekeeping would sort it out when they arrived at 7pm which they promptly did. Not the best welcome I have received in a hotel though.

In saying that, the hotel is nice, my room was very spacious with a double bed, a couch area and still plenty of room for the cot. Everything was very clean and the bathroom was well maintained and spotless. Wifi was free in the rooms and was really efficient. I had no problem using Skype to call my husband abroad and connecting was really straightforward.

As a very family friendly hotel, they had activities for children scheduled in their kids club. However the hotel was also really noisy especially on my first night. I would imagine it is quite a popular Wedding venue and would host receptions every week. The Wedding music was muffled and not a problem as were sounds from the communal areas of the hotel. At around 1:30am though people seemed to spill outdoors from the Wedding reception and congregated below the windows of the rooms at the front of the hotel. They were loud with lots of singing and shouting for over 40 minutes. I would imagine this is a regular occurrence and it was highly disruptive to my night's sleep. It is a very bustling hotel in general with lots of families so really not to be recommended to anyone staying as a couple or looking for a romantic evening.

Room service was really good and extremely helpful. The food was very good and I requested warm milk for my daughter which was brought promptly and at no extra cost. The staff were in general very helpful to me with my daughter. Breakfast was good and I was happy with the fact that hot breakfast was served to order and therefore freshly made and very nice. Lots of teas and toast and more if requested. Breakfast brought for my daughter on a cold plate which showed their attention to the needs of families. A good decent breakfast.

All in all a good hotel for an overnight stay but not if you plan to stay for more than a night or two as I could imagine being a little sleep deprived with all the noise.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the central area and at the back. I would imagine it would be quieter there.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremorris
The Western Hotel
The Wyatt Hotel
The Wyatt Hotel
#3 of 14 in Westport
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,405 reviews

Been to McWilliam Park Hotel? Share your experiences!