“Great Stay at the McWilliam” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
McWilliam Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Claremorris
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Stay at the McWilliam”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here for just one night but found the hotel spotlessly clean with excellent staff and can report a good night's sleep. The hotel is well located on the edge of the town about a 10 minute stroll to the centre of things, its typical of a Celtic Tiger era property, imposing with loads of glass and a marble lobby complete with grand piano. I was on business and was given a Business Class room but to be honest, I couldn't see the business touches.

The room was large with a double bed, sofa, chairs a flat screen TV , tea and coffee making facilities and here's a nice touch - a DVD player. The bathroom had a shower as part of the bath and was spotlessly clean and well lit. All fairly standard stuff I would have thought for a Four Star property. The Leisure Centre was well equipped and the swimming pool and changing roooms were up to a high standard.

Despite the fact that functions were in progress the hotel was very quiet during the night with no noise as punters left or returned to their rooms. I left before breakfast so can't comment on the food save to say that I thought the dinner menu and room service menu looked quite expensive.

To sum up, you can't go wrong staying here if you're in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel where the function rooms are.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Fingalflyer
mcwilliamparkhotel, Manager at McWilliam Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Fingal Flyer
We are delighted to receive your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Hotel.

It is important that our guests sleep well and are able to enjoy the day or whatever business they may have in the area.

Our lobby and foyer are striking and create a great first impression of the hotel so we are delighted you were impressed.

We feel our Business Class rooms are larger to allow a guest continue working if required.
Wi Fi and complimentary newspapers are all part of the Business Class.

I have however noted your comments and if you have any suggestions as to how we can improve this service please do get in touch.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future
Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I am not normally one of those people who write a review no matter how bad or good my stay was at a hotel but I am so enraged with the treatment we received I felt I had to warn people what to expect staying here - btw keep those expectations at your lowest!!!
Myself and my husband went away for easter weekend. We arrived on Friday late afternoon and waited to be checked in by the one and only recptionist who did about 10 tasks before addressing us. Checked in without hassle and went to our room which was pleasant enough - typical hotel room but not 4 star standard. We had our dinner in the bar that evening. The staff were pleasant but the food was not and certainly overpriced for what you got.
Breakfast the following morning was bog standard - nothing special or 4 star about it. I did 'enjoy' trying to cut through the yolk of my egg which my cutlery continously bounced off.
We had a very pleasant day out and about and decided to go out for dinner that night to avoid the hotel food.
There was a function on the saturday night - some musician was playing - but we thought nothing of it.
After a beautiful dinner and drinks in a neighbouring town we returned to the hotel about 11.30pm and then the fun began. As we approached the hotel the road outside was lined with cars but there was a young guy directing traffic at the entrance to the hotel so we figured those here to watch the show where being parked in specific areas to accommodate the guests - oh how wrong we were. That poor kid 'directing' cars was there for show and nothing else. We circled the car park and found no available spaces left so refusing to park our car on the roadside we had not option but to park outside the front door of the hotel in the drop down area.
We went inside and asked to speak to the manager to understand why as paying guests there was no areas marked for 'residents only'. The manager was pathetic, all he could offer was excuses and say sorry. That was after he told us it was our fault for coming back to the hotel so late. He did offer us his car park space but we asked him what would that solve??? What if another guest returned later than us? and where was he going to park his car? (You might think this a trivial matter but it was a simple request that management blew out of proportion). In the end we left our car outside the front door as it was the only safe place to park on the grounds of the hotel.
The following morning upon checkout, after a poor nights sleep from the blaring music, my husband approached reception and asked very politely to speak with the duty manager (given we were annoyed at our treatment the previous evening). The receptionist Jean dialled the manager's number and told him there was a rude man waiting for him in reception. She was on duty the night before and knew we were unhappy but she did not have the right to label my husband rude - god forbid someone should make a complaint!!! The day duty manager Alan was no better. He kept trying to fob my husband off and would not address any of his concerns. He also informed my husband that when there are such shows/functions in the hotel residents take SECOND place to the people attending the function. We raised the issue of the noise levels and were told we were the only people to complain. 2 mins later he said he spent from 7am to 9am that morning patrolling the hallways to ensure the drunk revellers stayed in their rooms and that others had complained. I don't know what school of customer service he attended (obviously none) but he needs some lessons to learn how to address complaints.
He did offer to cancel our bill but that is not why we complained. My husband asked for the bill so we could leave because talking to these idiots was not worth it. Alan kept insisting he didn't have to pay it and wouldn't pass the bill across. He was deliberatley trying to antagonise my husband to provoke him into doing something stupid. Eventually he was told go away we have finished talking to you and the bill was paid. During all of this I found shards of broken glass in the chairs in reception that I was about to sit on. I could only imagine what could have happened if a child climbed on that chair.......
We left that hotel completely disappointed and enraged and with the managing director's name so we can address this with him. We will never be back there again and I would only recommend staying here if you enjoy being treated as a second class citizen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Guest664
"Dear Guest664.

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion of your stay at the McWilliam Park Hotel. We are very disappointed that your stay did not meet either your expectations or indeed our usual high standards of customer care and this is of great concern to us.

We have carried out an investigation of the issues raised by you which are not representative of the usual favourable reviews that we receive. We are satisfied that our managers and staff acted in an appropriate manner at all times.

As I said, this review does cause us great concern and should you wish to meet with me to discuss your grievances further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly here at the hotel.

With kindest regards

Sligo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Staff, Food, service, cleanliness & Entertainment was excellent - The McWilliams has it all. This is a top class hotel. Its exceptional service right across the board left us thinking why its actually not a 5 star hotel. By far the best hotel in Mayo and believe me we have been to them all. Breakfasts were brilliant. We had dinner and the service and food was just fantastic. We went to Brendan Shine & Jonny Brady and it too was a great night. We certainly will be back soon. It was a great week-end.

Room Tip: Can`t fault anything
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Carmel B
mcwilliamparkhotel, Manager at McWilliam Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Good afternoon Carmel
I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
Thanks also for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor

I look forward to welcoming you back to the McWilliam Park Hotel in the near future

Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Accomodation : Superb....huge bedroom lounge and bathroom complete with whirlpool bath and underwater lighting.
Food: Delicious, hot, good value, excellent choice
Service & Staff: Prompt friendly and efficient
Entertainment: On the night was Patrick Feeney, excellent entertainment and dancing.
Overall couldn't fault this hotel in anyway.

Room Tip: Executive rooms......simply superb. Nothing forgotten. Great for business or holiday use
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FoleyColeman
Hi Coleman
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor.
We are glad you enjoyed the experience and hope that you will return in the near future

Athlone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just spent a great weekend of a Country Music festival at the McWilliam Park Hotel. An absolute great experience with the best of service and facilities. Great staff, very skilled and friendly. I would highly recommend a stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Faganman
Hi PJ
We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the McWilliam Park Hotel.
Thank you also for posting a review on the site.

We work hard to make sure our staff are trained to provide the very best in customer service and your comments prove that it is indeed worthwhile.

I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

We rarely get a few days to take some 'girlie' time off, but a friend and I found some time to avail of a GrabOne deal to the McWilliam Park Hotel. It was a FAB offer, so we really looked forward to it. Upon arrival, our welcome was 'ok'. The housekeeping staff we met on way up to our room were very warm and welcoming. Our room was spotless and extremely comfortable. Breakfasts and one evening meal of our choice in JG's was included in our package stay. The menu selection was perfect; no complaints. There were 2 young male waiters (Mark and another) who were very congenial and worked extremely hard through supper, as there seemed to be no other waiters on hand. A very busy time, as it was Spring Break, too. Food presentation was gorgeous; but food itself was only 'ok'. (I certainly wouldn't choose to go out for a meal there). My beef rouladen was dry and overcooked; my friend's chips tasted of old/rancid grease! I watched as another diner in the restaurant got the same dessert I did -- eton mess. And whereas I was unimpressed, she seemed insulted at the gloopy tinned fruit mix that drowned the meringue and sorbet and didn't eat one bite of it. (The sorbet was actually NICE, though!). Ciara was our breakfast waitress one of the mornings and did a FAB job with our hot breakfast order. The second night of our stay, we had an extremely NOISY family apparently take a room somewhere in our hallway. There were small children who were screaming and the adults were very loud, as well. We gave them until midnight to quiet down. When they did not, we rang the front desk; where the male receptionist who took our call promised to be right up. We heard him in the hallway almost immediately after our ringing; and the family quieted down right away. The credit to this hotel is its QUALITY STAFF! They all seemed 'bent' on making our stay pleasant. Well done, McWilliam Park Hotel on your choice of hotel staff! It is JG's restaurant food that lets this venue down. Once they get the food right, it will be the hotel 'best of the West'!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gl0balm0mr0undw00d
Hi there
Thank you for taking the time to send a very detailed review of your stay.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your accommodation and that it lived up to your expectations.

We also believe that it’s important to have staff trained to deliver excellent customer service and we are delighted that this hard work is paying off because we believe our staff are our best asset in the Hotel.

We are disappointed that you did not find the quality of food to your satisfaction and I have discussed your comments with our head chef and Food & Beverage Manager.

All your comments have been actioned on and again we are sorry if it did not live up to your expectations.

I hope you will visit in the near future and have a chance to experience us in a more positive way.
Please contact me personally and I will be delighted to offer you a favorable rate

McWilliam Park Hotel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here over Patrick's weekend with my husband, who is wheelchair bound. Nice room on ground floor with all facilities necessary. Staff very helpful and all areas of hotel easily accesible. Food good, tho' service was very slow, perhaps because of busy weekend. Good entertainment each night. Situation not great (on side of busy road) but good base for exploring Mayo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Eileencharlotte
Hi Eileen
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the McWilliam Park Hotel.

We are glad that you found our hotel to be easy to access for wheelchair users
I am sorry you found the service of the food to be less than 100%.
Our food is prepared to order so that you receive optimum quality and this can lead to slightly longer waiting times.

I trust that you and your husband will indeed visit us again in the near future.
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremorris
The Western Hotel
#1 of 1 in Knock
Harlequin Hotel Castlebar
Harlequin Hotel Castlebar
#2 of 8 in Castlebar

Been to McWilliam Park Hotel? Share your experiences!