“10 out of 10”

Valleylodge Farm Hostel
Ranked #2 of 7 Claremorris B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. The rooms were clean and spacious, the beds soft and comfortable and the showers were marvellous. Nothing to complain about. The owners were very friendly and I had the entire sleeping room (which could fit up to 6 people) to myself three out of four nights, which was an unexpected luxury. The common room is nice, especially in the evenings when the owners would come in and lit up a fire. Very snug and it made me feel very much at home. The kitchen was great, there's plenty of space and you could leave your food in the refrigarator. All the cooking utensils you need are there. And if you're lucky and the weather is good enough, you can enjoy your first cuppa tea or coffee of the day while you're sitting outside in the sun.

The surrounding area is lovely, very quiet and tranquil and if you like being outdoors and the peace of it all, this is a great place to stay. It's not far from Knock Airport (30 min by car) and close to Claremorris and Castlebar, where there are supermarkets and restaurants. Also a great starting point for the rest of West Ireland. I travelled to Connemara National Park and Cong, both well worth your time and effort.

You do need a car though, otherwise I doubt if you could even get to the hostel, but then again, you need a car to get to anywhere proper in Ireland.

*Important*: The directions given by Google maps were wrong. It said I had to follow the signs saying Knock, after driving through Claremorris on the N60. This didn't make any sense at all. What you need to do, if you're on the N60 from Claremorris heading to Castlebar, you should look out for a sign saying Facefield - L 1504 and turn into that road. Then just follow the signs that say Valleylodge Hostel.

Will definitely be back with some more people in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank H.C. B

Reviewed April 29, 2014

My wife and I and four older children travelled through Europe and Ireland and was the best place we stayed. Great value for money and excellent service best place we stayed do your self a favour and stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Sixoneills O
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I'm only getting around to reviewing valley lodge again.I booked the same room we had stayed in the year prior and nothing had changed.It was already taken by Mary and her husband changed things around to accommodate us at very short notice. A lovely welcome and again my nieces were happy as larry spending time with the animals, again they'd no wish for toys or TV. It was certainly more noisy due to Gaelic football team of young lads from England staying but its a hostel afterall and they did tone it down when asked. After 2 trips to Knock I'm happy to always take the risk of a bit of extra noise to stay in such a lovely area, close enough to Knock but far enough to be away from the maddening crowds.

Room Tip: The room we use is in the hostel section of Valley lodge but is theb only wheelchair accessible room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Khadiga
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Myself and a bunch of mates stayed here in August. We arrived down early for the weekend to climb Croagh Patrick.
The B&B also has a hostel side and is one of the cleanest and best laid out I've ever stayed in anywhere - I've stayed in Hostels all over Europe, NZ and Asia.
The common area feels like your sitting room at home. It has boardgames, a TV and books as well as several tables to play them at or eat your meal.... and the kitchen is clean with everything you need to cook, and sports a very large, clean and spacious fridge.

We stayed together in one large room with bunks (there were 6 of us) even though we had the place to ourselves.
The rooms were very clean and very comfortable. There were also double rooms available.
Th Bathrooms were immaculate and the showers were very welcome after we cam back down off the mountain because we were pretty stiff!
You'll definitely need a car to get here but you'll need one to explore Mayo.
It's about 5 mins to Claremorris by car (sorry that's a very irish thing to write but I don't how many Km it is) and it's about 40mins to Westport and Croagh Patrick which are both well worth checking out.
What makes Valley lodge stand out though is the country farm feel to it. You can see in the pics here all the fowl and goats and so on, great if you have small kids (get it...goat...kids?)

Well worth visiting. The Family were very welcoming and I'd def go again.

Room Tip: There is a B&B and hostel to make sure you look through the avail rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paddy D
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Gorgeous spot, great accommodation, They couldn't have been nicer, well organised and extremely welcoming... Highly recommended and will defiantly stop for longer next time....................................

Room Tip: All the rooms i saw looked secure spacious clean and comfortable
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WestCorkTraveller
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My sister and I took my mother here a couple of weeks ago. It was the first trip since her stroke 18 months ago and she, us and my 6 & 4 year old nieces absolutely loved it! Very modern and clean, extremely comfortable beds and a big well equipped kitchen & bathroom for mums wheelchair and best of all for the little ones was the open farm. I didnt see them take a toy out for the 3 days we were there. They busied themselves for hours with the animals. Very quiet and relaxing place. A car is essential and and with one it is the perfectplace to stay near Knock which is only 15 min drive but it far cheaper than anywhere in the immediate shrine area.I paid 80 Euros per night for 6 of us - in knock the cheaperst I coudl find would have been THREE times this price! It has rooms which sleep 4, 5, 6 or 7 people and becuase it is small everyone talkes to each other though 2 of the 3 nights were stayed there were only 3 young girls. It is not the easiest place to find but once you do the warm welcome you get from Mary and her husband is perfect. She is ready for any eventuality and and her husband even rang her to tell her to put on the heating as he was worried about mummy being cold....and it was still summer temperatures! Will definately stay here again when i take mummy down in in the spring.

Room Tip: Do not say "facefields" as no one knew where or what i was refering too. Just say Clairemo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Khadiga
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Our Kearns Family reunion is held every four years in Balla Mayo at the sight of the old cottage on the hill. We are a large group and many of us had the great fortune to stay at Valleylodge for the weekend. Our hosts were Mary and Ed, two of the most friendly and welcoming people you will meet. The rooms were beautiful and the dining area was warm and cosy. Mary greeted us with hot tea and some freshly baked scones that she had baked special for our party. As the tea was served a fire was lit in the drawing room and we settled in for a nice chat with our host. Their farm is beautiful and the accommodation superb. Anyone in a small party or large will enjoy this lovely family and farm.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family