“Great Atmosphere, Good Food, but Room to Improve”
Review of Flint at Shaw Vineyard - CLOSED

Cuisines: European
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Flint at Shaw Vineyard provides more than just a dining experience. With outdoor dining on the beautiful terrace in summer or in front of the open fire place in the winter. There's also space for group bookings and special events. Flint resides in Canberra Wine country, just 30 minutes out of town. It provides a quick getaway, a destination, and an opportunity to explore the wine region.
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Long time locals and have been coming here for years. In general the food is quite good, and the service excellent. The atmosphere is really nice, particularly at lunchtime when you can sit outside and take in the lovely vineyards and garden. There is also live music some evenings which also adds to the pleasant atmosphere. Some of the detractors are that the menu seems a bit limited, and that prices are too high for both the food and the (local) wines. Also there seems to be an increasing emphasis on getting groups and larger parties to come in. This may be good for business, but it does detract from the experience if you arrive as a couple and are told that the kitchen is backed up because a large party just ordered. This has now happened twice to us. Overall quite good - but lots of room to improve.

vines f, Owner at Flint at Shaw Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Dear PHR_911

Thank you for your positive comments on the food, service and atmosphere.

I am disappointed to learn of your feeling that our menu is limited. Offering 3 starters, 6 entrees, 6 mains, 6 pizzas, 4 sides and a dessert menu has generally hit the mark with most of our guests and we do change our menu 2 to 3 times a year with the seasons. I would be very interested to hear your feedback on what you think could improve the menu offering in consideration of being a country restaurant. Please would you email me with your thoughts as I would welcome them?

Our pricing, $16-$19 for entrees, $26-$34 for main courses, $14-$16 desserts and $29 - $38 bottle of wine is a little cheaper than our fellow local restaurants in the Canberra wine region and on par with a lot of Canberra restaurants. I am sorry you don't feel our pricing is what you expect.

In regards to groups, as we are a destination restaurant and provide good food and service, people see us as a wonderful place to celebrate with family and friends. We welcome both groups and individual tables and do our best to balance this so one does not outweigh the other. We do also ask our staff to communicate with tables about the status of their order.

We are constantly seeking of ways to improve so thank you for your valuable feedback and hope you will give us some further feedback offline.

My email address is vines@flint.net.au

Jai
Director

There are newer reviews for Flint at Shaw Vineyard

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Nice spot for a Saturday lunch. Relaxing drive to and good food. Service was good and Shaw wines well worth tasting.

1  Thank gars28

Dear gars28

Thank you for the great feedback!

The Flint team

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Average bistro food at expensive prices. I ordered the steak and barely ate any of it due to how gristly it was. Save your money and go elsewhere.

2  Thank Amandajane9493

Dear Ka M

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the steak at Flint. This is one of our most popular dishes so I am disappointed to hear of your experience. I am more than happy to talk to you about the steak offline to see how we can improve. Please email me at vines@flint.net.au so that we can discuss.

In regards to our pricing, our entrees priced between $16-$19 and our mains between $26-$34. We are competitively priced for our location and our other local restaurants in the area. I am sorry you feel our offering what not up to your expectations.

I encourage you to get in contact directly with me at the restaurant if you have any further issues you wish to share. My email address is vines@flint.net.au

Jai
Director

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Escaping our 3 small children for our first meal out as a couple in almost 2 years, meant that we had high expectations of Flint in the Vines and we are delighted to say that all expectations were met! We enjoyed a lovely, lovely meal at a leisurely pace and it is an experience we will savour for a long time. Other reviewers have already described the beautiful setting and the ambient atmosphere of the restaurant itself, and the food - delicious ! Starting with the wood fired Camembert was a great decision, and the following courses were equally as yummy. The salmon with red curry pumpkin was a particular standout, just divine. The service was friendly and efficient, but never felt rushed, despite the fact it was a busy Saturday lunchtime. We are already planning our next visit - and will probably relent and bring the kids as i am sure they will adore the wood fired pizza's.

1  Thank ktb01

Dear ktb1

That's so wonderful that you had a nice getaway sans children!

Flint also welcomes families and children, particularly in summer when the wide open grassed spaces are perfect for them to run about.

We also have a casual takeaway option now so no need to sit down for a long leisurely lunch with the children.

The Flint team

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Only 40 min from central Canberra. Beautifully set amongst the vineyard. Food was wonderful. Wonderful Italian ceramics available, have 3 or 4 already at home. Mrs Shaw was wonderful and assisted with information about the wines available. Will dine again

1  Thank Gino_Aussie

Dear Gino Aussie

thank you for you positive feedback. Really appreciate it and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

The Flint Team