“Home away from home ...”
Review of Raglan Farmstay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raglan
Raglan Farmstay
Ranked #10 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Raglan
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Raglan farmstay is many things ..relaxed, fun, chilled, stylish, intimate and welcoming! Although there are many options for accommodation in Raglan I now find myself turning into this familiar driveway every visit. It begins to feel like home very quickly. Chris is a wonderful host and what i love about this place is that although it is his home, Cris is not hovering constantly as some B&B owners do... you are left to do your own thing or join in with the eclectic mix of people that stay here.

I have not booked any of the rooms in the house as yet but the cabins have the most comfortable beds and beautiful linen. It is such a relaxed vibe and i enjoy being able to wonder around the small farm. I am in love with all the crazy animals ... pigs.. goat ..and a very friendly chicken.

Its only a small stroll down the road into town ... so much to do in Raglan!

I must say i love that the doors are never locked and i plan to keep my key in the door as always... this is a magical place full of beautiful interesting people. You feel safe and happy here. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Saras H
RaglanFarmstay, Owner at Raglan Farmstay, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Saras I have to say it you are one of the most lovely guests (am I allowed to say favorite ?) its been so nice to get to know you over the summer. It is really rewarding to have many guests returning this year, see you soon I hope :) regards Chris

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Have just had four nights at the old Raglan Farmhouse. We enjoyed meeting the variety of people who came and went - mixed nationalities and ages. Our host Chris provides everything we could have wanted, from the continental breakfasts (or cooked if ordered the night before at reasonable prices - absolutely recommend the eggs benedict), free range of the kitchen, laundry and spa and his interesting collection of books. We never tired of the amazing views from the expansive decking which looks straight along an inlet of Raglan Harbour (always with a sliver of water even at low tide) and beyond to Mt Karioi. We could walk into town from the farmhouse and what a friendly little place it is. Chris has many plans for this piece of paradise, so we will be keen to return and catch up with the changes.

Room Tip: We stayed in the house with our own bathroom and this suited us. Others enjoyed the mountain view ro...
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is not a posh getaway but will suit if you want somewhere clean and well-priced. The location on the edge of town suited us as we were visiting family in Te Uku, rather than wanting to walk into town or go to the beach. (I'm not sure what the walk is like.)

Our cabin was new and private, with stunning views of the estuary (and yes, it did lock-up). We had a shared detached bathroom (also clean and new). We would have preferred our own bathroom but we booked late and available rooms were limited. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. At $80 a night for 2 adults - including breakfast and sales taxes - this was excellent value.

Chis the host was informal and chatty, with a keen interest in sustainable living and architecture. We'll be interested to see how the property develops over the years.

This was the best B+B experience I've had in the past year - although staying in a cabin not the house it was a bit more like a campground experience.

Room Tip: There's a variety of rooms and bathroom arrangements. We didn't get our first pick, but we w...
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Maybe I've been living in the city too long and have become a bit too particular about what I expect from accommodation but as a minimum I do expect to be able to lock the room when I leave in the evening knowing that my belongings are safe. Regardless of whether there has never previously been a break in or otherwise you never know what unscrupulous people might be hanging about/staying. I should point out there was a key in the door but we were unable to remove it. Secondly I do not expect to walk through a poorly lit shed to get to my room in the evening guided by the light of my mobile phone. Thirdly I noticed a lack of smoke alarms (unless they are well hidden) in the mountain view room we stayed in which was a bit unnerving considering the shelf full of flammable materials placed directly outside the (wooden) door. I'm all for laid back but believe there is a happy medium.

On saying that I believe these things are easily rectified and there are a lot of positive aspects to my stay highlights of which were the view from the window in the room from the bed both during the day and night, relaxing in the spa pool under a beautifully clear night, enjoying some drinks on the decking and of course the serenity. Room was small but clean.

I was not lucky enough to have a grabone voucher so do feel that I got value for money ($120 p/n) but if you were happy to stay in a different room without an ensuite you may find it is better value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
RaglanFarmstay, Owner at Raglan Farmstay, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thanks for your review and Im onto fixing that door this week ! I've not been able to get that key out for a few weeks and I don't know why, so Im going to replace the whole door with something a bit more solid and lockable. I will also put locks on all the rooms this week just to give everyone peace of mind. I had the stupid hippy thoughts that locks just create barriers between people and close down the atmosphere of openness I was trying to create, I guess on this point I was wrong ! People want to lock their rooms, my offer of locking valuables in the office was not enough, I will fix this and make sure there are working locks on all rooms in the next few days so all those city folk can rest assured were not going to steel your stuff ;)

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Raglan Farmstay. Chris was a fantastic host and made us feel very welcome. The deck is amazing with great views - nice and relaxing to sit there with a few drinks. Breakfast the next day was amazing - you wouldn't get any better at a cafe. Totally recommend it and we will come back to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is not your traditional B&B or farm stay.

Chris, the young surfer dude host, is so laid back he defeats the law of gravity.
Chris has a mi casa, su casa relaxed style of hospitality. He leaves the door open with a note of welcome and instructions to ring him when you arrive. He runs it to suit his needs and backgammon, surfing, and going out on Sunday night takes precedence over guests. If that laissez-faire style of hospitality suits you, you will be very happy here. Various friends, neighbours and drinking partners made equal use of the facilities, which was a little disconcerting as there are no locks on the bedroom doors.

It wasn't what we expected but we relaxed into it and actually had a very nice stay. Being able to cook evening meals for ourselves in the communal kitchen was an unexpected bonus.

The house was spotlessly clean. Our room was a nice size, had a great bed, good linen and shabby-chic furniture.

The photos looked good but the place is smaller than it looks on the internet, with only 2 bedrooms, 2 baths (neither en-suite), a very small lounge compensated for by a large deck outside, a tiny caravan Chris sleeps in parked in the drive, a large shed full of junk through which you access the third tiny bedroom and a few corrugated iron sleep out cabins. The furnishing are "retro" (shabby). Chris got the dining table and chairs (cushions split and needing reupholstering) for a dollar.

We used a Grab One deal which was advertised with a bottle of wine on arrival and hot breakfast included, so we had expectations which were not met. We had to ask for the wine on the second day and Chris reluctantly cooked one hot breakfast while we were there. He said we had to tell him the night before if we wanted more than the generous continental breakfast.

The "farm" consists of 2 pigs, a chicken, and a goat. It was less a B&B / farm stay, more an up-market commune. It felt like staying at a popular friend's house. Chris is charming and polite but if he wants to run a proper B&B, he needs to run it a bit more professionally.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
RaglanFarmstay, Owner at Raglan Farmstay, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thanks for your review Sheila, I’m naturally disappointed that we did not meet all your expectations and provide you with the perfect stay, but Im glad to hear you you relaxed into it and in the end had a good time in the end.

There are a couple of things that I see from a slightly different perspective. The ‘Young Surfer Dude’ comment is a little off cause Im crap at surfing and over 30, but thanks for the complement on my looks.

If by ‘Various friends, neighbors and drinking partners made equal use of the facilities’ you mean the other paying guests and my staff and I getting along, cooking and drinking together then I apologize, but we have a wide range of guests of all different ages, nationalities and walks of life, who often socialize together while staying here.

I will go ahead and put locks on the house rooms as it seems to be something many people expect, even though I never lock any thing and I view it as a privilege rather than a risk, considering I’ve never had anything stolen (touch wood)

The two rooms in the house both have their own private bathrooms but yes as it is an old farmhouse they are not En-suites, but we do have an En-Suite in the Mountain view room, it is clearly stated on our website that the room is small but the view is Huge. The brand new Cabins that are insulated and Lined with Maranti ply wood have actually been hugely popular with many guests and they share a new bathroom facility that comes off the back of the barn.

Yes most of our furniture is recycled and restored antique wooden pieces that I fix up in the barn where I also do the ironing of the bedding, but I would hardly call it ‘full of junk’. The dinning chairs are actually very expensive oak pieces but yes the table was an amazing bargain, but I don’t think the price I paid for it makes it any less a nice big old dinning table.

I think you may have forgotten to mention how amazing you found the reluctantly cooked Eggs Benedict on smoked salmon with homemade hollandaise sauce and Brioche French toast with Manuka smoked bacon smothered in Canadian maple syrup, I remember you asking me if I had had chief training, but yeah cooked breakfasts do need to be ordered the night before and no your voucher that worked out at $35 each per night did not include cooked breakfast every day, but one cooked breakfast during your stay.

All in all I think we managed to make it through a rather challenging stay for both sides. My place is home stay and I invite guests to enjoy my house as if it were your own, and although the beds and rooms are better than most hotels, it is not a hotel but my home. I welcome all guests who share this philosophy to come and experience Raglan Farmstay.

Cheers

Chris

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place has a beautiful view over the harbour. Chris is great with the guests and makes an exceptional breakfast at a very reasonable price. We stayed in the wool shed room. The windows fold right back and the view is amazing. The room is small but has an ensuite. We did not spend long in the room so it was not a problem. There is plenty of space on the deck or in the house to sit and read or play games. If you are looking for a friendly and relaxing place to stay then this is great. Despite the location bugs were not really an issue. The rooms were very clean and the beds were really comfortable. It was nice at night to be able to cook dinner on the BBQ and then soak in the spa under the stars. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. Booking was very easy. We used a Grab One deal and it was really great value. We would stay again.

Room Tip: The room through the wool shed has a stunning view. Keep the ensuite door shut to minamise the nois...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple