“Great lesson, loved it”

56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Great lesson, loved it”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I did a lesson with Stephen of safe surf in March. I was travelling alone so just joined the group of people getting a lesson that day.

The lesson was about 3 and a half hours including time spent doing a safety briefing. We were almost 2 hours in the water.

The lesson was really fun and also very helpful. I was able to stand on the board at the end. Mistakes were pointed out gently and everyone was helped and encouraged regardless of how they were doing.

I would definitely recommend trying this.

1 Thank rovingrebel

Raglan, New Zealand
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Thorough, enjoyable & as easy as 'ABC'”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

This was the best & most thorough surf lesson we have had in Raglan [1 previous] & would rate Steve [Surf Safe] very highly.

His tuition style, along with his assistant Dan is broken down into 3 stages [ABC] that are absorbale. Unlike our previous experience, it involves [A] necessary exercises & strethches to mitigate injury & fatigue; becoming familiar with the waves without a board & experiencing the buoyancy of a wetsuit to aid flotation -something we had never appreciated before!

Safety talk/demo is comprehensive & clear & unlike our previous lesson, we learnt to steer the boards with our bodyweight whilst lying down, which really aids confidence & gives a good feel for the water [B]. There are clear & concise instructions & plenty of practice on the beach before we attempted next stage [C] of surfing a real wave :-)

We all experienced individual instructions in the water, to assist us all to being able to ride a wave :-) At the breaks, we also enjoyed a cookie/muesli bar & again received individual comments & techniques to assist us further, which was a real bonus, as 'NEK MINUTE' most of us could surf wave after wave without falling - AMAZING :-)

Another thoughtful touch is that on most occasions, the boards are even carried to & from the beach on a trolley, so you don't have to carry them down the hill & back again...what luxury

We're looking forward to more lessons over the summer, to gain confidence & technique & crikey, I may even have to buy myself a surf board, living so close to the surf & now being so inspired.

Thanks Steve & Dan for a memorable & rewarding surf lesson :-)

Visited January 2012
1 Thank 007adventure
Santiago, Chile
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fun, fun, fun!”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Steve is an amazing instructor, experienced, patient and most importantly fun! Having never surfed in my life and being a little afraid of water, I was amazed that after just a three hour lesson I was actually surfing! It was truly amazing! Unlike the other surf schools on the beach, Steve runs a more intimate operation with small groups where tuition is tailored to the individual! A fantastic, fun afternoon with a genuinely nice guy!

Visited January 2012
2 Thank Lorna F
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“great surfing lesson”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Steve is an excellent instructor. He is very safety conscious first and foremost. He went over several safety issues that I had not thought about during his instruction. As for the equipment, we had good wetsuits and softboards. We went down to the beginner beach and had our 3 hour lesson on the beach first, then in the water, then back on the beach for a review, then back in the water. It was a great experience and very fun. The water was 20C in late Dec. The 3 of us in the group were all standing by the end of the lesson. I plan to join Steve for additional lessons with the Stand Up Paddleboarding.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank FredShuuz
barcelona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Best surf lesson”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My friend and I had a 3-hour beginners surf lesson with Steve in December. The lesson was amazing, and by the end we were standing on our boards catching waves. Steve taught us about beach and board safety, gave us a homemade cookie and a muesli bar, and sent us free photos of the day. The wetsuits and boards were brand new. His great sense of humour and patience made the lesson a blast - he's a great teacher. Would definitely recommend to others, and repeat myself.

2 Thank catalan_traveler