Waoku Lodge(Raglan)
$287
Karioi Lodge(Raglan)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfree kayakshot tublaid backnew zealandthe kitchenpizza ovenfree wifiawesome staffsurf boardspost surffantastic atmosphereclean roomsliving roomhome away from homemy partnersurfing lessonsbeautiful place
Reviewed August 31, 2011

The hostel was fairly nice. The rooms are a little small, but the courtyard is nice and it has good freebies.
However, during our stay there the owner (female of the couple) openly told off two of her staff. It was done loudly, in front of all her staff and was heard by any guests in the lounge.
The tone she took was patronising. From a selfish point of view it made us very uncomfortable, but it was also no way to treat staff. Please keep a sense of privacy.
At night we had to remind the night manager to keep on top of the fire as he let it die regularly and wouldn't let us top it up.
A good place, but a few easy things could make it a much better place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank deaduncleted
timsuz, Owner at Raglan Backpackers and Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2011

On behalf of the owner of the property we apologize if any guests were made uncomfortable, it's extremely unfortunate that the reviewer happened to be staying that night as it is EXTREMELY unlike the owner to EVER go off on the staff. In fact, in my 3 years of managing the hostel I've only seen it happen once. The employees in question were terrible and that morning happened to be the last straw for our owner. On behalf of the staff though I can say I've never had a more compassionate, empathetic and caring employer in my life and we all strive to, and almost always do manage to give our guests the best experience possible.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

One of the best hostels I stayed in, great facilities, staff, location and surf. It's one of the hostels which you stay in, where if you ran a hostel it's exactly how you'd do it!

Electric blankets ( I was there in winter), comfy duvets, roaring fires, beautiful views and super clean kitchens and bathrooms. As a surfer it was great as there a surf car to get me to the beach, which was great as I was travelling by bus and plenty of places to put your board and wettie. There was also never a shortage of people to hit the waves with which was great, oh and then theres the hot tub and sauna, perfect post surf!

Loads of free stuff, such as the bikes and kayaks means that I could explore the area on a budget and its a beautiful place the explore the outdoors. ooh and pizza night, yum!

Everyone I met always wanted to stay longer and I definitley shared this view

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We had never stayed in a backpackers before, but after seeing the reviews, and emailing the staff, took the plunge and booked a room here for the night of my birthday, after spending the previous night on a houseboat in Raglan harbour. We enjoyed a warm welcome, a clean spacious room ( the sunroom) a lovely soak in the hot tub whilst chatting to other guests ( very friendly german lads) and a toasty sauna to relax - the staff even put it on for us again after we spent too long soaking in the hot tub! We are not typical backpackers, yet did not feel awkward at all staying here, everyone just accepts each other as they are. We ate out at Orca restaurant ( very good indeed) as it was my birthday, but otherwise would have joined in pizza night - free dough, bring your own toppings!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2011

This backpackers was clean with friendly staff and in a great location. The rooms are set out around a small garden with hammocks and a spa and it has a good sized living area. You are allowed use of the kayaks, fishing equipment, bikes etc and you get a good discount on any surf board hire.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Lovely place, good facilities. Sadly there seemed to be a full moon the 2 nights we stayed as some of the other backpackers were just a group of idiots. subjecting people to their taste in music by blarring it loudly in the kitchen morning noon and night, drinking in the court yard at 2 in the morning making noise etc. The owners did stop them doing this and aplologied for their behaviour. They should also make a rule not to play music in the kitchen, we all have our own taste and im sure if I played Metallica at 8.30 in the morning other guests wouldnt appreciate it. Other than that it was one of the nicest places we stayed in NZ.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple