“Small hotel centrally located”

The Penny Farthing Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Berkhamsted
Pinner, Middlesex
“Small hotel centrally located”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at The Pennyfarthing as we were attending a wedding at Berkhamsted Town Hall. We arrived early and were able to check in before 2 pm. The friendly welcome immediately relaxed us. The hotel car park is secure with a barrier which is useful as the hotel is located in Berkhamsted High Street. The room was large and clean. Breakfast was very good and freshly cooked which makes a change from the "hot" buffet larger hotel chains offer. We enjoyed our one night stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuesPinner_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
An American living in Northwest England
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at the Pennyfarthing for one night, needing something within walking distance of the train station. I would rate it highly for a comfortable stay.
Our room was very attactive (pretty, contemporary furnishings, moden bath) and had all the amenities I expect for such a stay -really comfortable bed, nice linens, two slightly different pillows (one firmer, one softer- a nice touch), tea kettle and makings, hairdryer, great shower and toiletries. Very good TV, too. It also had a few extra touches, like a trouser press and an iron in the closet. And unlike some much fancier hotels I have visited, the WiFi was free and had a good strong connection.
Breakfast in the morning was excellent. Plenty of help-yourself cereals, fruit, yogurts etc. and a nice menu of hot choices cooked to order. I had fried egg and bacon, cooked just right by the friendly woman on duty. I will add that she saved us quite a bit of money on our train fare the next day by giving us good advice for a more economical route to reach Kew Gardens, much appreciated and completely accurate, as it turned out.
I give the Pennyfarthing a very high review, not because it is the swankiest or most luxurious hotel I have ever stayed in, but because for a small hotel, it fulfilled all our expectations, with cleanliness, amenities and friendliness in abundance.
Berkhampsted looked lovely, several attractive restaurants right around the corner, nice High Street we didn't have time to explore, and a lovely canal through the town with canalboats active on it, and a canal-side path looking like it would be a beautiful country walk... if you didn't have to be catching the next train like we did. Train station was about a four minute walk away.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room, and were given a room furthest away from the main street -and yes, it was...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I did an overnighter here while attending a function. The service was excellent and very friendly. Room very nice, clean and quiet, with all the bits and bobs you need (tea, coffee good tv etc). Breakfast was excellent, being freshly cooked by a lovely welcoming lady in front of you. The only downside is that the breakfast room is rather spartan and echo-y.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at Pennyfarthing when my first choice hotel was full over xmas. I thought that I had stepped into an old persons bedroom! The decor was in need of bringing into this millenium. In saying that, the bed was comfortable and clean.

I thought it was expensive for the location and facilities. There is no bar or restaurant for evening meals. They are attached to a Cafe Rouge but you cannot charge anything to your room, not ideal for the business traveller.

There is a breakfast room which distinctly lacks character. You can hear a pin drop as there is no TV or radio being played. Staff were friendly and service good at breakfast but needs something to bring the whole place to life.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 6, 2013

the staff here were always helpful and friendly, we stayed here a few times while in town and each time was great, the rooms were not overly large but they were big enough and had the amenities needed and were always clean. the beds were comfortable and the breakfast was also nice getting cooked as you order so always fresh, the hotel is situated in the centre of the small town and easy to walk to the supermarket and town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I read the previous review and felt prompted to write a review in favour of the hotel. I have just returned from a two night stay and once again had a very enjoyable stay in this little hotel. I stay at the Pennyfarthing each time I visit a relative and have always been made to feel a very welcomed guest. The receptionists are always friendly and helpful and our room has always been nicely presented, the bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and the whole embience has been warm and welcoming. Yes the shower on this stay was noisy but not an issue and the room and bathroom was clean to a high standard. I am surprised by the previous '1 night only' comment left. I have stayed at another hotel chain just on the outskirts of Berkhamsted and that was one of the worst experiences I have ever had and wouldn't recommend anyone staying there. The Pennyfarthing is by far the best place to stay if you are staying in this area. It is a small friendly hotel which I'd choose everytime over the chain hotels and the parking is safe with a coded barrier. Thank you Pennyfarthing for another nice stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hokiejoint
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We chose The Pennyfarthing as ideally situated for a function in the town. The receptionist, a friendly a helpful woman, showed us to our room which was on a strange corridor on the street, off the courtyard. The smell of damp on entering the room couldn't be masked by the plug in air freshener. The patch on the ceiling may have been the culprit. On entering any hotel room I do enjoy plonking myself down on the bed to start any possible relaxation, however I had to strip off the grubbily stained counterpaine to do so. Apart from some splattered tea like stains down the inside of the bathroom door and grubby bathroom skirting, everything else was very clean. The air con and dark dingy room were welcome on the hottest day of the year. The complementary shower gel etc is probably the cheapest of the cheap, combined with the thinnest toilet paper, screamed out we're cutting cost but will still charge you £90 a night for the displeasure. The full English in the odd canteen was very good though. On leaving, a different receptionist didn't bother to ask us about our stay or provide the exit code for the car park or a smile. There is nothing welcoming at all about The Pennyfarthing. Not a picture or a flower in sight. It's fine for one night if just needing somewhere to rest your weary head, but most definately over priced. We were glad to finally get that exit code and go home.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Gaia405
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkhamsted
The Kings Arms
#10 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#7 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to The Penny Farthing Hotel? Share your experiences!