“Excellent food.”

DesignMyNight
Ranked #20 of 85 Restaurants in Berkhamsted
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A charming, traditional pub in Berkhamsted, The Boat occupies an idyllic spot on the Grand Union Canal. Climb aboard for a fresh take on pub food, quality craft ales and lager on tap and a pleasant atmosphere to enjoy the company of friends and family. Serving seasonal freshly prepared meals everyday to local residents, tourists, local business and visitors in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere - we're always extra busy when the sun is shining! Dogs are welcome in the bar area.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We turned up without a booking on a Saturday evening before the cinema, and it was really busy, however the staff found us a table and we had a very nice meal, I had chicken and mushroom lasagna and my partner the Chicken schnitzel with broccoli and mashed potato. It arrived in good time considering how busy the place was, and both meals were hot and very tasty indeed.
Would definitely eat here again, perhaps not on a Saturday night when it might be a bit quieter and we could sit outside by the canal. Looks very appealing!

Patrick L, Manager at The Boat, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a lovely review.

We hope to see you again soon.

The Boat Team!

Write a reviewReviews (347)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had lunch at The Boat today and loved the location but were not impressed with our meal. We chose the mixed mezze and it really wasn’t nice at all. We were only given a few bits of pitta bread, so asked for some more and were charged £1 for this. I think they should have provided more originally. This meal was certainly overpriced for what we got.

We would return to The Boat for a drink but definitely not to eat.

Patrick L, Manager at The Boat, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Weaselmum,

Thank you for your kind review.

We really appreciate feedback like yours to make sure we are doing everything possible to ensure the customer leaves feeling value for money.

We apologise that you didn't feel this when you left. I have passed these comments on to the kitchen and we will review this going forward.

We do hope to see you again soon.

The Boat Team

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

We've just returned from a very poor lunch experience at The Boat. Having pre booked a table for four, we were somewhat surprised to be shown to a coffee table by the door to the patio, with two chairs and a small sofa. When asked if that was OK, I replied 'not really', as it was clearly too small for four and trying to sit up and eat from a sofa is hardly ideal. We waited for 5 minutes or so and they found us another table just at the end of the bar. We put in our order and our drinks were brought over promptly but we heard nothing more for nearly an hour? Eventually our food turned up and I have to say we were distinctly underwhelmed. My burger was unimpressive and clearly burnt, with parts tasted of charcoal. I mentioned it looked burnt when it was handed to me and was told that's the way they have to serve them. Now, whilst I appreciate there are rules around serving rare burgers, they do not have to be cremated! My younger daughter ordered from the kids' menu and also ordered a burger. Admittedly, it did say 'mini burger' but there's mini and there's miniscule! When you burn that too, it doesn't leave a lot! Her fries were also very overdone, with the whole plate looking like it had been forgotten about. My wife's fish and chips were ok, nothing special, but at least much better than mine. It was her birthday we were celebrating, so that was at least something. My other daughter's halloumi burger was ok too, although the grilled pepper inside was so soggy it was dripping. All in all, a really disappointing experience. The cost of drinks was knocked off in recognition of the disappointment and delay. This was appreciated and upped my score from one star. However, we still left feeling we'd had really poor value for money which is a shame, as we've had good experiences in the past. Sadly, the food, the presentation, the service - all seem to have gone downhill. What particularly irked me was the fact no one even spoke to us for the best part of an hour whilst we waited. That's just poor customer service, as they were obviously aware because they apologised for the wait when our food eventually arrived. I'm also not sure staff should be addressing their customers as 'dude', which is what happened on my way out. I wasn't offended but some people might be and it's just not very professional. As you can probably tell, I'm not really a dude.

Date of visit: September 2019
Patrick L, Manager at The Boat, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2019

Hi Tmac67,

Firstly may I apologise as the above is not the service or standard we strive for here at The Boat.
I would greatly appreciate if you could email me: boat@fullers.co.uk and we can discuss this further.

Looking forward to hearing form you.

Kind Regards,

Kelly Bernedetti

Reviewed August 24, 2019

Quite a modern building with great outside seating overlooking the Grand Union Canal. Inside it is light & smart.

It serves a fantastic range of Fullers beers, & the food is tasty and reasonable value.

Date of visit: August 2019
Patrick L, Manager at The Boat, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2019

Thank you for your review.

Boat Team

Reviewed July 21, 2019 via mobile

This is one of the most relaxing pubs to visit and sit outside.
It is next to the canal which we found so refreshing on a summers day.
The meals are excellent and they provide a lovely Sunday roast.
Highly recommend this place.
There is parking as well.

Date of visit: July 2019
Patrick L, Manager at The Boat, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2019

Hi Nomad5522,

Thank you for leaving such a glowing review about our lovely, canal side pub. It really is the perfect little suntrap and we're glad you thought so too! Please do pop back and visit us soon - hopefully we're yet to have some more sun!

Best Wishes,