“Every mouthful was a bit of food heaven!”
Review of Martins Pond

Martins Pond
Ranked #8 of 70 Restaurants in Berkhamsted
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Melanie, Neil, Daniel and the team warmly welcome you to Martins Pond. As valued guests to our home we aim to exceed your expectations in the delivery of everything from the food to the ale, the wine to the service all within a relaxed & informal atmosphere.Being passionate about our business we endeavour to provide the best quality produce and have selected local suppliers to ensure outstanding results.Following the reviews on this website we have also extensively refurbished the bar area as we honestly value our customers experience and listen to constructive criticism
“Every mouthful was a bit of food heaven!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I visited martins pond last night for what I can say was a fantastic meal.

To start we had pate with homemade honey bread and homemade chutney... many places get this simple dish wrong but every element was perfection.

For mains we had steak and homemade tarragon kiev. steak was again perfection and cooked perfectly.. i chose to have diane sauce too.. which again was homemade and was absolutely delicious.

the kiev was served with tripple cooked chips and was presented in a cute little frying basket! again it tasted wonderful and my dad could not stop raving about it.

to finish our meal we had honeycomb icecream... im not usually a big fan of icecream but this caught my eye...and again i was not dissapointed!

too top it off the service was fantastic we were welcomed by a very happy smily lady and we left feeling valued and very content with our dining experience at martins pond!

i will be returning! 5*

Berkhamsted
“Too highly rated”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This restaurant does not deserve the rating it gets. We had a most disappointing experience when we were told to go to the Plough even though there was hardly anyone in the pub.
The food, when we have been allowed in, is of average quality and everyone is encouraged to fill in Tripadvisor reports. This is not the way it should work.
How iot gets a higher rating than the Alford Arms or Bluebella roos is beyond us.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank reedi
MartinsPond, Owner at Martins Pond, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
While we are disputing the validity of this review with TA I would like to make 2 points for those that may read this in the meantime

Firstly we would not send anyone away unless we had stopped serving food which we dont do between 2.30 and 6pm Mon-Sat. In these instances where someone had say come in at 4pm we would recommend other local establishments that we know serve food all day. The Plough being one of them that serve a snack menu. We cant identify the exact case as you say you came in October 2012 but that seems the most probable if such an instance occured at all.

Secondly I would suggest that those that have a preference to another establishment write them a glowing review rather than try to get their competitions position reduced by writing a negative one. If your preference is Alford Arms or Bluebella Roos that is fine and I respect your opinion but put it on their review page rather than trying to put us down.
UK
“More to potted shrimp than butter”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were told that the potted shrimp was off. Then we were told that shrimp was on but the crumpets were off. We suggested toast - the waitress suggested brioche. No we wanted toast. First course sorted then. Now other than the fact that they had come straight from a very cold fridge the shrimp looked alright but they had no taste. A combination of a cool room cold plates and cool toast meant they didn't liquefy on the eating vehicle.
I had steak so it's what I'll talk about. I had asked for it rare. It came medium and I was happy with that - the taste was perfectly fine - the portion adequate for me. The chips were OK
Service a little slow (you always notice it when you first go in and when you want your first drink) but perked up and was very pleasant. Going back? No.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank GeorgeDaymond
MartinsPond, Owner at Martins Pond, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Really sad to hear that you didn't enjoy our shrimp starter as it has been hugely popular and we have had great feedback.

Where I think we failed to exceed expectation in your case was by offering the starter at all as it obviously started a negative experience as I'll explain.

As we make everything fresh there are times when, as we are busy, we may not have one item available. In this situation it was the home made crumpets from the starter
Classic Potted Shrimps, Warm Home Made Crumpet & Pickled Cucumber Salad .
So we advised this before your party ordered. Your interest in that particular starter though led to your server checking whether we could offer any other alternative to the crumpet, which you were told yes we could do toasted brioche. We don't have bread just in case someone asks for toast but we did have brioche as it was going to be on our Mothers Day menu that weekend.

I agree brioche doesnt hold enough temperature to melt the Shrimp Butter and so in that format the starter was a fail which I believe has led to this review. What I will say though is if we can make a variation to our menu to give the guest what they want then we will, and we will continue to adopt this ethos as we genuinely do try to give our guests a great experience.

I appreciate that you have put that you wouldn't return but hope with the above explaination you will at least appreciate our position and our best endeavours.
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“It's described as a pub and but no longer-it's a restaurant formerly a pub with little atmosphere remaining.”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had the Sunday roast topside of beef and for the price would have expected rib or sirloin.The restaurant was busy and tables were very close together unlike the photo. The next table was loud elderlies all talking at the same time. The food was lukewarm and the roast potatoes were disappointing.The service was from a pleasant but inexperienced waitress. We have lived in the Berkhamsted area for some time and tried nearly all the best local restaurants-based on our
recent visit we would not put Martin's Pond in the top ten let alone no 1.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank MPLloydy
MartinsPond, Owner at Martins Pond, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
I'm going to respond to this review a little differently if I may.

I have had the great pleasure to have eaten at Tom Kerridge's ' The Hand and Flowers' in Marlow on several occassions. It is the only pub in the UK that has been awarded 2 Michelin Stars. Am I going to compare us to them in terms of food, service etc. of course not. As a 2 michelin star pub restaurant though I would expect everyone to write on trip advisor that they had a great time and 5 stars as I as an average eater would most certainly give it.

However there rankings of stars/blobs to ours are as follows:-

Hand & Flowers Martins Pond
5 Stars 59% 67%
4 Stars 17% 14%
3 Stars 12% 11%
2 Stars 8% 5%
1 Star 4% 3%

My point of this example is that as a restaurant owner or owner of any business come is that you can't please all the people all the time no matter how hard you try or how good your product is.

Why have I highlighted this particular review to bring this up. Because I don't genuniely believe there is anything fundimentally wrong with what we are doing at the moment and the vast majority of our customers and reviewers are telling us we are doing it right. Thats not to say things cant be improved, that we don't make mistakes or that we dont listen to feed back to identify relevant areas we do and we respond.

18 months ago we received reviews saying the bar looked dated - we listened and we spent the money investing in a more restaurant experince as 99% of our guests are diners. So i was quite surprised to read the headline of your review.We dont have brass ornaments etc like some would picture in a country pub but we don't hide that fact either and you obviously saw that on our website as you mentioned the photo ( Which I must also state is exactly the same table configuration in the photo as we implement during service) it was again busy as you stated which is usually the kind of atmosphere people like but you state it has little atmosphere remaining so to be fair I dont really understand what we could change to enhance your experience on this front.

With regards the 'loud elderlies' again I'm not sure why this would be in a review about our establishment other than they may have added to why your review has a negative slant on it.

The food being luke warm and roast potatoes being disappointing. I respect your opinion on. If you had the beef it is sous vide at 54 degrees to be rare so maybe that is why you felt it was luke warm. Likewise I respect your review on pricing but we regularly check our pricing with other establishments in the area and base our pricing on the cost of the product to us.Fresh Meat is more expensive and that has to be reflected in our pricing.

So to those reading this response I would just like to say that we do care, we do listen, and we do take action ( if you look at the other restaurants on trip advisor very few respond) but sometimes as I read the less glowing reviews I geniunely wonder why people are negative to the point of being rude I guess you cant please all the people all the time
Dunstable, United Kingdom
“First Timers”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We visited with friends for lunch on Monday the welcome was very warm and pleasing, we ate in the conservatory which was only just warm enough as sun was shining.
The food was first class I had the duck starters served on a slate it was very tasty, for my main I went with the sirloin steak medium rare, it was very good steak cooked to perfection served with nice fries etc, for desert apple crumble and ice cream washed down with nice hot coffee.
We all had a great time and the other dinners I was with, all enjoyed their food as much as I did.
Not getting into Alford Arms debate, but must say easier car parking at Martins Pond.
I will return soon I hope.

• Visited March 2013