“Amazing little gem of a restuarant”
Review of Martins Pond

Martins Pond
Ranked #7 of 73 Restaurants in Berkhamsted
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Iain, Chris and the team warmly welcome you to Martins Pond. As valued guests to our lovely country pub,we aim to exceed your expectations from the moment you enter,delivering the friendliest service possible within a relaxed & cozy atmosphere. Being passionate about our business we endeavour to provide the best quality produce and have selected local suppliers to ensure outstanding results. We have extensively refurbished the pub to create a wonderful space for any ocassion, whether it be a leisurely lunch, family dinner, or just a few cheeky drinks!
Hertfordshire
“Amazing little gem of a restuarant”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We visited the restaurant last week. We have been before when it was more of a pub but now it's pretty much geared up towards being a restaurant and I don't blame them for this move at all, the food is amazing and it's really worth booking to ensure you get a table. At first we were quite disappointed, we had booked a few days in advance and were led to a makeshift table that was all chipped and stood out like a sore thumb when compared to the other tables which made us feel very uncomfortable. We quickly brought this to their attention and they moved us without fuss to the bar area. The food came out very quickly and tasted amazing. I can personally recommend the feather steak as a main and white chocolate brownie for dessert. As our group fancied a fire when we got home we cheekily asked if we could buy some logs from them, the manager was happy to assist with this and even let us have a couple of logs out of the tip we left! Overall we had a great time. The only warning I would give visitors who don't know the area or are popping in for a quick pint is be aware of the double parking system. There is a small car park with double parking which means you may be blocked in by another guest and you will have get the staff members to ask around for another guest (who could be half way through their meal) to go and move their car. Or you could be the person blocking someone in. Either way it doesn't cause too much disruption to the evening and in a strange way adds to the experience.

• Visited December 2012
MartinsPond, Owner at Martins Pond, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Firstly thank you for taking the time to write us a review and for such kind words, they really are appreciated and Mel and I love reading that our guests are enjoying what we're doing.

I'm really glad you're initial experience didn't stop you having a wonderful time.

When we are really busy we do have some collapsible banqueting tables and chairs to try to accommodate the demand and following your comments I am looking to have these table tops replaced as you are right they have seen better days.

These small constructive comments of how we can improve our guests experience are always welcomed but again we're really glad that it didnt affect the rest of your time with us

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Nice Location, Good Service”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

A pleasant pub, with excellent food and good service. We found it a little expensive, but they do have special offers, which softens the blow! Car park opposite next to the pond, overlooking the Potten End village green. Farm shop nearby and you can drive or walk through the woods.

Visited October 2012
London, UK
“Understated excellence”
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We were looking for somewhere local for a meal for our wedding anniversary, trip advisor had scored this very highly and hasn't let me down so far so we booked!

The decor is modern and attractive, well lit and well arranged.

The menu is not extensive, which always reassures me that the chef actually knows what s/he is doing and the choices cover most tastes.

I had scallops followed by duck, both of which were perfectly cooked and seasoned and my husband had pâté and slow roast pork belly, again beautiful. I don't really enjoy pork, but I tried a piece and it was exceptional - taste, texture all working together as they should.

1 Thank lizayling
Berkhamsted
“80th Birthday party went with a swing”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I arranged for the whole family to head to Martins Pond for my Mums birthday and from the moment we made the booking, there was nothing that was too much trouble for them. We had a party of 18, yet the food was served hot and quickly, which is an effort in itself. However, the three course meal we had was excellent quality, with everybody saying how impressed they were. (My Mum especially said that the Sea Bass was excellent).

My daughter is Gluton free, so they organised both a Guton free roll with the soup and Gluton free gravy with her roast.

The table was decorated superbly for my Mums birthday and all in all, it was an excellent event. Well done, Martins Pond.

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Always Excellent Service and Food”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have been coming to Martins Pond for years now, and have always found the food and the staff of top calibre.

Great Sunday lunches, the roast beef is out of this world, food always being served fresh and hot. Staff are friendly making a great personal service the moment you walk through the door.

We booked Christmas lunch at Martins Pond about 4 years ago, having the table for over 5 hours, never feeling rushed to leave. Brilliant Management.

Happily keep coming back.

• Visited October 2012