“weekend away”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Berkhamsted
Reviewed November 11, 2012

great service ,great food great room, from start to finish my stay was wonderful from the oak beams in my room to the egg beneidict for breakfast, the staff could not do enough for me and my partner.we had drinks in the busy bar before going out and wow the winter cocktail is to die for. 10 out of 10 thank you so much for making my weekend so special , we will be back

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Kings Arms

Reviewed November 5, 2012

we have stayed at the Kings Arms a couple of times as we have family in the area. Its a nice looking hotel in a nice old building on Berkhamsted High Street. The decor in the rooms is modern and minimal- although sometimes a little too minimal- there is no drawer space in the room which was not too much of a problem for us as we only stayed one night. However the design of the room is a little odd for example there were no plug points near to a mirror- very difficult for us ladies to dry our hair! I resorted to moving a great big full length mirror near to a plug point to accomodate the hair dryer!
The checking in process seemed a little laboured- maybe becasue the desk you report to is also the desk you report to for the restuarant so there tends to be a bit of a wait. The cooked breakfast that was included was very nice. All in all a good stay with just a few grumbles,we would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012

In our opinion this establishment, although historically a hotel , was more like an upmarket gastro-pub with rooms.
The room was cold on arrival,we got got the impression that the rooms were routinely left un-heated and it was up to the guest to turn the electric heaters on - there is no central heating. The only heat in the bathroom was from an electric towel heater which was woefully inadequate.

This is the only "hotel" I have ever stayed in where a double room had only one bath towel and one hand towel. Even the humble Travelodge chain can work out that 2 people in a room will need 2 sets of towels.
There is an area at the side of the bar used, I assume for al freso dining & drinking in the summer but for smoking all year round. This area is directly below the accomodation. There was unacceptable levels of noise until 02:45 a.m. If the revellers were customers of the bar some effort should be be taken to lessen the noise, which at times was screetching laughter.
The room was not particularly clean, I had to pick up a cigarette butt from the carpet. Also when getting my suit hanger down from on top of the wardrobe was showered in thick dust.

The customer survey card in the room had been filled out on the 3rd August by a previous guest and left, We stayed on the 3rd November so it had sat there for 3 months.

On a more positive note the staff were very freindly and the breakfast was exceptional.

Had our stay in Berkamsted been longer than just this single night we would have definetly checked out and sought alternate accomodation.

The night that we stayed had been pre-booked for us by a realative who was organising a birthday party at a local restuarant. In future we will stay at a hotel that we have used previously, about 3 mile south of Berkhamsted and get a cab into town.

Room Tip: If you want to get to sleep before the early hours of the morning you have 2 options, 1. take plenty...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
OakmanInns, Owner at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Hi, thank you for your comprehensive feedback. We would like to point out that we don't actually market ourselves as a hotel - but as a 'bar, restaurant and rooms' which is part of our logo and branding. However, we will take on board some of your comments and we would also like to apologise for your substandard experience. If you could email us at marketing@oakmaninns.co.uk we'd love to get in touch about your stay. Thanks.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel in the high street. It has a lot of character . The room was very nice , everything you need . Only problem was it was cool , It had a heater but it didn't make much difference . There is a beautiful fireplace in the room but it was not working . Breakfast was included with a good menu choice. Staff were all very nice. Great location and good value for money in my opinion. A little noisy early in the morning due to the central location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently went to a function at the kings arms the room is very nice size but thats as far as it goes, staff try hard but dont know what they are doing management have no communication skills there fore there work staff have no clue! The daughter of the function having to move tables and clear tables to make room for dance floor, pouring the wine which had been paid for for the staff to do, the food was nice but no where near enough for the amount of people attending the party, the hotel have tried to say its the hosts fault for not ordering enough, when the host was advised buy not 1 not 2 but 3 hospitaility managers before the function what she had ordered would be far too much, like i said three managers as turn around of staff at the KA is ridiculous, the food came out 40mins later than was meant to be and came out in dribs and drabs. The KA can clearly not cope with the amount of people dinning downstairs and having a function up stairs would defiantley not be returning for any meal drink or function here

Room Tip: Would not hold any special occassion here as wil be disappointed
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank vicster143
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have to stay at the KA regularly at the moment as I'm working in the area and choices are limited. I can only agree with fellow reviewers and say that it appears the hotel has mixed its ambitions up with its capabilities. I have moved room several times over the course of my many stays in a vain attempt to escape the noise from the smoking drinkers sitting in the beer garden at the back of the pub next door and can't recommend the rooms at the front of the hotel as the brewery delivery at 6am put paid to any hopes of sleeping till 7am. The room on the other side of the "car park" is a little quieter but hasn't been refurbished to the same standard and is freezing cold

I would agree that the designer of the rooms appears to have had budget as his/her sole driver as the feeble hanging rail (in room 7 at least) is far from impressive, nor is the inabililty to make the hairdryer cable stretch to the mirror in the room

Evening food is OK, though attention to detail in presentation leaves a lot to be desired - I frequently receive plates with finger prints on them suggesting that the final wipe clean hasn't happened. Unfortunately breakfast is snail paced which might be fine at the weekend but during the week, when most people have to be somewhere else, it's deeply irritating.

Again, I would agree with the last reviewer that the staff are well meaning; sadly the average age seems to be early 20s and there appears to be little in the way of leadership from anyone at all. A case of blind leading blind I fear

I have stayed once at the Penny Farthing which, for different reasons, is pretty unappealing. I heard from the staff there that they are in receivership and the KA is the intended buyer; hopefully they will attend to all of the details flagged in this and other reviews when they take over

Room Tip: 16 if you want less noise but be aware that the finish isn't as good as 14 or 7 on the other sid...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chooqueen
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at the King's Arms last weekend for the Graham Greene Festival in Berkhamsted. We hadn't stayed there since it was refurbished and reopened. The refurbishment has been done well, and our room looked good (attractive decor, nice old fireplace) and a comfortable bed.

However: although the King's Arms clearly sees itself as a top-class small hotel, the lack of attention to detail and inefficient management lets it down and stops it being a comfortable place to stay.

For example, despite lots of space in the room, there were no drawers, cupboards or shelves in either bedroom or bathroom, just a cupboard with a hanging rail. So there was nowhere to unpack toiletries, jumpers, underwear etc, and we had to live out of suitcases - not what you expect in a hotel like this. There was just one mirror, in the bathroom, and nowhere to plug in a hairdryer and see yourself while drying your hair. It was a double room but there was only one bedside light. There was a big wallmounted TV but there was no comfortable place to watch it, as it was fixed facing not the bed but the fireplace, and there was only one armchair.

I would like to recommend that the designer of the room actually spends a night there and thinks about the practicalities of staying there, which are just as important as lovely lovely fabrics and big cushions.

However, the real low point was the lack of any hot water on Saturday morning, so we had bracing cold showers. To make matters worse, having reported this, there was still no hot water on Sunday morning either. Other guests were similarly affected. The duty manager was apologetic and no doubt did his best, but in any efficient good-standard hotel, this should have been fixed at once. In fact I see from previous reviews that it has happened before, so it should never have been allowed to happen again.

I didn't find - as some previous reviewers seem to have - that staff were rude. They were unfailingly pleasant and polite, and tried to help. But management seems ineffective. I am hesitant to be too critical of the weekend duty manager, who seemed rather inexperienced, and I did wonder if the staff in the hotel are getting any sort of useful back-up from head office.

On the plus side, the breakfasts were good and speedily served, and the location in the middle of the High Street is excellent. But it would take a lot of pluses to outweight the huge minus of no hot water in the morning.

I notice that in response to previous reviewers' criticisms on this site, one Amy Kilpin from the hotel company has posted some formulaic responses, which seem to be saying that the hotel is really very good (because it does lots of training etc) and inviting the reviewer to contact the company so they can 'look into your experience'. I think this exactly demonstrates the way in which the King's Arms management seems to be well-meaning but clueless. Amy's comments miss the point entirely. For myself, I wasn't impressed; I spoke to staff at the hotel about it and got an acceptable reduction in my bill; I won't be going back; I don't need anything more from the King's Arms; why would I waste time discussing my 'experience', as I have already made all my comments in this review? So I suggest that instead, the hotel company reads the comments on this site (many of which report a series of recurring problems), takes them seriously and does something about them.

Room Tip: My tip would be to stay in the Penny Farthing down the road.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GuineaThePig
OakmanInns, Public Relations Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We apologise that the hotel did not live up to your expectations but we are pleased to hear that the team did their utmost to help. Rest assured that the problem with the hot water has now been rectified. Kind regards, the Kings Arms team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkhamsted
The Penny Farthing Hotel
#10 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!