“I was expecting a little more...”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Berkhamsted
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“I was expecting a little more...”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I'd heard good things about the other Oakman Restaurants so thought I'd give the King's Arms a try. Initial impressions were good, a nice interior and attentive staff. I found the menu a little lacking but I presumed they adhered to the only-a-few-things-but-all-done-well school of cuisine.

My partner's meal arrived (Pepper Croquettes ) and it was beautifully presented. Mine on the other hand (Sea Bass Fillets) looked a little like less than impressive. Fillets (plural) turned out to be just a small single fillet and the chips were burger-joint style fries. For 17 quid I expected a lot more - both in terms of quality and quantity.

Post- meal there was also an unpleasant smell of old cooking oil emanating from the kitchen.

I'll no doubt go there again but it's been relegated to a place to take the kids for lunch rather than a special evening out with the Wife. As mentioned in another review - the Gatsby trounces the place.

On the plus side though - our waitress was superb as was the Prosecco and the other wines we drank. Oh, and the sticky toffee pudding, despite looking a bit 'instant' was very tasty.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tommy_Brk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2011

6 of us had a superb meal on Good Friday night. The change in the menu has worked out very well but some favourites like the scotch Egg starter have stayed. Attention from our waitress was very good and she got all of our requests right. I imagine we were not the easiest to serve. The seafood platter was excellent as was the rib of beef for 2. Even the wine price was reasonable.
I highly recommend a visit soon. When the sun shines the courtyard is very pleasant for a pre dinner drink.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Hertfordshire
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We came to eat , surprised to find a bouncer and the bar heaving ! We were kept waiting for our table , but the staff were great and kept us informed . We were also given a bottle of wine while we were standing waiting for our table
The food was excellent, the atmosphere buzzing and the staff brilliant
We will come again

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Hertfordshire
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I really enjoyed my meal at the Kings Arms; the portions were perfect and it all tasted lovely. However, I really didn't like the way that everything was served on a wooden board! It meant that my chips kept falling off the side and there was not much room to spread the food out, as many people like to do. Bring back the old-fashioned plate! Also, considering we were 2 of only 6 other people in the restaurant, it took over 45 minutes for our starters to arrive! But they were delicious so all was forgiven.

• Stayed January 2011
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My stay at The Kings Arms Hotel in Berkhamsted was very enjoyable. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the service was excellent. I had lunch in the restaurant on my arrival and was blown away by the cottage pie I had. It was well presented and was possibly the best cottage pie I have ever tasted! I also had some bread to start which was freshly brought in that day and it was gorgeous. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and restaurant to a friend or family member and will be coming back to stay at some point again this year!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2011

I have visited twice now for lunch and also tried to book business events via mail. The restaurant is hot, noisy and on the second occasion smelt of un changed cooking fat. Service was slow on both occasions on the second visit I went to the bar and to place my own drinks order, had to get up and fetch the waitress to find out if there were any specials. The bar guy sympathised and said the drinks would be removed from the bill, this did not happen and as I was desparate to escape so didn't push the matter.

We will be sticking with the Gatsby where the quality of service and atmosphere never fails, and holding our company meetings in the private dning room at the Old Mill which again keeps up a good level of service and more importantly appreciates the business. Red Lion from the same chain at Bourne end gets it right maybe they should swap mangers for a while!

Hopefully the rooms will will live up to the London prices and I will be booking some next month for US based colleagues, it will be interesting to see how this goes keep you posted

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Frequentdinner10

Travelers are raving about these Berkhamsted hotels

Hertfordshire, UK
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Just eaten at the Kings Arms this evening after being taken over by the Akeman crowd, Decor very nice, waitress very good even though it was her first evening, attentive but not overcrowding.
Food was good until we got to dessert, starters and main course were very good, though menu in general was a bit was a bit heavy going and 'samey' with the sweet potato, the desserts were abysmal, sticky toffee pudding was a ball of what seemed microwaved to death dry ?? I'm not sure what to call it. Chocolate . port and plum trifle was nothing short of disgusting, I have never left a dessert in my life but this one beat me. The chocolate plum and port slop in the bottom was unpleasant, the layer of rubber(Custard??) was powdery and quite revolting, the cream or whatever was on the top was beaten to butter and then chilled to death. I always look forward to a good dessert but these were, very sadly, disappointing. There was no option for someone who wanted something a bit lighter for a dessert either. You have got your dessert menu very wrong which is a shame.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Uk-Traveller300
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkhamsted
The Penny Farthing Hotel
#8 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
De Vere Latimer Estate
De Vere Latimer Estate
#1 of 2 in Chesham

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!