Bird of Paradise
Shoal Bay Villas(Shoal Bay Village)(Great Value!)
$240
Zemi Beach House, Hotel & Spa(Shoal Bay Village)(Great Value!)
$495
Royal Palms Holiday Suites(South Hill)(Great Value!)
$135
Privilege Resort(Anse Marcel)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsday bedrum punchtristanmelodybeautyprivacyvillavacationbedroomluxuryoceancaribbeanbeachesanguillaweddingdill
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I have been visiting Anguilla for 30 years. We have stayed in condos, hotels and villas through out the island. But once we discovered the Bird of Paradise, this was our forth visit, it would be impossible to stay elsewhere. As you enter the property, your reaction is WOW. Hard for one to imagine that such a place of beauty with the most gorgeous beach as the background should exist. The pictures on the web site do not do justice to the actual visuals.The rooms, all decorated with museum quality pieces and exquisite detail, have an individual ambiance that I have never experienced in all my travels. The staff are so friendly and accommodating, that all our vacation seemed as if we're all one big family. I recommend the Bird to any one who needs to find paradise on Anguilla. We hated to leave and look forward to our return. The Bird of Paradise will always WOW us.
Stan Hopek

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Stanley H
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have had the pleasure of escaping more than one hot summer in Florida to visit and enjoy the Bird of Paradise. The design of the villa is open to the outdoors so you get gorgeous panoramic ocean views, and trade wind breezes. It is such a pleasure as you sit on the veranda relaxing, listening to the ocean with a good book to read. The villa has such beautiful artwork both inside, and hidden in the gardens to discover.
While at the Bird of Paradise, I enjoy walking down to the beach for my daily swim before we pick a ''destination" to visit for the day. Anguilla has many nice beaches and restaurants to enjoy so it is fun to rent a car and beach hop. At the end of fun day you return to the beauty, serenity, and comfort of the Bird of Paradise.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We just returned from an amazing week with three other couples at Bird of Paradise. We researched several homes on Anguilla and St Barts before deciding upon this one. The price is steep but it is worth every penny. As soon as you step through those double doors and gaze straight through the courtyard, living room, and beyond the outdoor deck- all you see is water and sky. Absolutely serene and breathtaking.

Even though we booked through a third party villa agency, the on-site personal chef and concierge (Zoe) was more than happy to help us with car rental, ferry transfer, private boat excursions, restaurant recommendations, etc. We did this all via email before our arrival. We also purchased one of her private chef packages (2 dinners, 1 lunch). I recommend doing this so you can enjoy dining in this setting. There is no better spot on the island than the outdoor dining room table on the patio at the Bird. I did read the negative review earlier from someone who complained about mosquitos. This was never an issue for us, but then again, we visited in May when the weather is beautiful and the breezes keep most bugs away. We rarely used the air conditioning, only at night, but even still you didn't need it.

If you haven't already scoured the Bird of Paradise's own website then please do so. The photos represent the property very well. Impeccably decorated, tasteful in every way including the Frette linens and Bulgari amenities.

THe best part of Bird of Paradise? Dora and Jose. They happily and quietly make it their mission to pamper you in every way. Hot coffee every morning, perfectly timed room freshening up when you don't even know how Dora found the time to sneak in, beach chair set ups for impromptu afternoon picnics, and fire place prepping for your nightime enjoyment. Thank you!

One negative- the distance to local restaurants. Expect to drive 30 min each way in your rental car or pay $50 each way for cab. This became annoying after a few lunch and dinner outings.

We enjoyed our week of pampering and the hospitality that the staff and the owners take pride in providing. This is a gem that I will never forget.

Room Tip: The four bedrooms are all lovely. The master has a private plunge pool and outdoor shower. Another guest suite has its own attached office. There is one guest suite with two queens, all other rooms have king beds.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TakeMeAwayNaples
anguillabird, Owner at Bird of Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Many thanks to all of our guests who write such wonderful reviews. Jon and I are extraordinarily lucky to have such a great team hat seem to make every single guest happy. Our last guest had glowing reports, but did have a comment about restaurants being far away. I'd like to address that issue.

When you arrive as a guest, our property manager sits down with you and gives you a map and marks restaurants, grocery stories, etc. She also will give you a cell phone so you can call whenever/wherever you are should you need any assistance. We do encourage our guests to explore the island and it's many beautiful beaches and wonderful restaurants. The island is only 30 square miles, so you can't go too far. For those guests who prefer to stay close to "home" within 5-10 mins of the Bird of Paradise are excellent restaurants. Nearby, I would suggest Hibernia for French/Vietnamese food. On Crocus Bay is DaVida, which has a fun beach bar and a sophisticated restaurant with beautiful views of sunset. When on Anguilla, Jon and I always spend a Sunday on the little island of Scilly Cay, the boat to which is a 5 min drive away. Also at Island Harbor is On Da Rocks, and the most wonderful French bakery, Le Bon Pain. I recommend the almond croissants.

Shoal Bay, also near by, has many beach bars. Gwen's Reggae bar is great fun for lunch and/or late Sunday afternoon dancing. Madeariman for dinner and Zara's is known for having some of the best fish on the island. Their chef, Shamash is a showman and often serenades the guests. He works at Cyril's in the Hampton's during the summer. Jon and I also thoroughly enjoy visiting the local road-side barbecues and English Rose which has an amazing snapper salad for $10. I'd like to assure future guests there are many choices for eating very close to the "Bird". These are just a sampling of restaurants which are within 5-10 mins of the villa. But, of course, more than one of our guests has said the best restaurant on Anguilla is Zoe's cooking at the Bird of Paradise!

If you're interested in how Jon and I, as owners of the Bird of Paradise, spent a recent week in Anguilla, check out my blog on face book (AnguillaBird) where I write day by day where we ate and the beaches we visited. Scroll down to March 23 and "getting to Anguilla" to start the week... I plan to do this again on our next trip as there are too many places to got and not enough time in only one week.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our group had a fabulous time at the Bird of Paradise. We went there with big expectations, and they were exceeded in every way. It's difficult to believe after looking at the website, but it is more spectacular in person, and equally spectacular are Zoe, Dora, and Jose who not only accomodated our every need, they anticipated most of them. I can't imagine the meals at any restaurant being better than the meals Zoe prepared for us. The villa has great areas for the group to gather, and plenty of private spaces as well. The beach is extemely private, many times we were the only ones there. Thank you to everyone at the Bird for a vacation we will never forget.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and i stayed at Birds of Paradise for our 30th anniversary. We love Anguilla ,usually stay at Cap Juluca but thought for our anniversary staying in a private villa would be special.

Unfortunately we were very disappointed at Birds of Paradise. The week we went, 2nd week in November the weather was beautiful but the week before they had a lot of rain on the island.

What we didn't know what that only the bedrooms have air conditioning and the living room has no screens so you couldn't even sit in there for more than a minute without getting bit by the mosquitto's. It was horrible, literally smacking yourself constantly to kill them on you. The villa manager bought us what looked like a tennis racquet but was a bug zapper. So if you wanted to stay in the living room and watch tv or listen to some music you had to swing this bug zapper. It wasn't worth it, we stayed in our bedroom.

Here we were in this beautiful high end villa not able to enjoy the living room. I think they made a huge mistake by not having screens put in. All the glass walls open up but no screens.

Next was the condition of the beach and the distance from the villa. In the photo's the beach looks beautiful but it was horrible, full of smelly seaweed. You couldn't use it. I got a call from the owner Melody the day we got there apologizing for the condition of beach. Why did she wait until i got there to tell us about this? The pictures are decieving appearing closer than it actually is but it didn't make a difference because it was unusable. We drove to Shoal Bay once and everyday there after we drove to the west end of the island to the beaches there.

Most of the restaurants are on the west end so we did a lot of driving back and fourth. Also the private pools were so cold we couldn't enjoy them. The one off the bedroom would of been great at night if it was heated like a hot tub, it was too cold to use.

Birds of Paradise is beautiful no doubt but if i knew there was no a/c or a the very least screens in the living room that would of been a deal breaker for me.

In the end i wished we had gone back to Cap Juluca, we never had any issues with mosquitto's and alway go the same time evey year. Also, there is nothing like being on Maunday's Bay, just a few steps from your villa. It's Perfection.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank lori58

One of the reasons Jon and I chose our building site was because of the wonderful trade winds. Rarely is there a mosquito problem, not only because of the winds, but because Anguilla is a desert island! The guest that complained visited in November following a tropical storm that dumped more than a foot of rain on Anguilla, leaving puddles everywhere and complaints from everyone from one end of the island to the other about the mosquitoes. While her husband was not bothered, the lady who writes below was, indeed, uncomfortable. I, too, am one of those people to whom the mosquitoes migrate, so I am very sympathetic. Bird of Paradise spent $800 that week to professionally spray. As she mentioned, our property manager bought her a mosquito zapper as well. Staff did their best to create an environment where she could enjoy the indoor/outdoor living of Anguilla and not be closed up behind doors and walls. All the bedrooms have screens and A/C, but the Bird of Paradise living areas are designed for indoor/outdoor living with complete walls opening to the panoramic views, and we even have a second, exterior living room, with a fireplace which, obviously, has no doors, windows, or screens. We were extremely sorry and did everything in our power to make her comfortable. Her daily rate was heavily discounted.