Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
Oceanview Hotel(Gros Islet)
blu St Lucia(Gros Islet)
Stephanie's Hotel(Gros Islet)
7,247 results
All reviewsla toccrepesclub levellondon pubour honeymoonenglish pubmain poolbutler servicebutler suitespeedboat tourjerk shackred lane spast luciafort rodneyno pressurelagoon poolpigeon island
FilterAll languages
Queens, NY
Reviewed June 4, 2006

Sandals was beautiful. One of the highlights of our stay was the staff, they were always there to take care of you. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. The food was great, a good variety to choose from. All we did was eat, swim in the ocean then the pools and sleep. A hike up to Fort Rodney is well worth the $5 per person...the view is amazing. The only problem was that our room smelled a little musty and the bed seemed old and too springy but we were hardly in it anyway. It's not worth to upgrade unless you want to stay in all day and not enjoy how beautiful the island is. We had a great time.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington D.C.
Reviewed May 30, 2006

Like most folks we went to Sandals Grande for our honeymoon (May 21 thru May 30, 2006). What we wanted was a relaxing trip; lots of sun and a beach and time to enjoy each other’s company. Despite some trepidation because of the negative reviews we had a wonderful time.
Trip from the airport – The trip was long and we were exhausted but getting through customs and our bag was a breeze. Don’t take a porter no matter how many bags you have because twenty feet beyond the door you put them down and never pick them up again!! The Sandals desk is easy to locate and we were on the bus within minutes of leaving the plan. We actually enjoyed the bus ride to the resort. My husband had never been to the Caribbean before and this was a neat way for him to see some of the island. Our driver was great. Yes, it is a hilly journey and the “rules of the road” are definitely different from either the States or the UK but it really wasn’t that bad. If you get motion sickness easily take some meds prior and sit toward the front of the bus.
Arrival and Room – When we arrived we dropped our bags and were escorted up to the concierge suite. Champagne, some munchies and a few forms later and we were escorted to our room where our bags were already waiting. I loved our room. We had a “Penthouse Concierge Ocean View” room and it suited us to perfection; on the top floor with a view of the Atlantic (I actually preferred this side to the Rodney Bay side). The floors were tile, the A/C worked great and the bed was comfy. We did ask for more water and more Piton beer; a request which was granted immediately and kept throughout the week. We sat on our balcony every single night enjoying the view, the quiet and the beer. We enjoyed the slight advantage of the concierge lounge as far as requesting assistance and making reservations (thanks especially to Leah and Rebecca for all their help) but it may not be worth it for everyone.
Food – This was the area I had the most concern about but I was pleasantly surprised. We ate at all of the restaurants at least once and never had a bad experience although there were places we preferred. Bayside: We went there every morning for breakfast. Nice selection. Yummy pineapple and I loved the omelets. There are birds but for us they held more entertainment value than anything else. They were really cheeky and if you didn’t guard your plate they were not afraid to help themselves. However, they were never in the area where food was being served and the Sandals folks did try and keep their presence to a minimum. Went for dinner one night as well and was pleasantly surprised since it wasn’t buffet. My husband had dolphin here which he said was really good – all I could think about was Flipper. Josephine’s: Yummy crepes and milkshakes. Made a nice change of pace for lunch and several times we would take a “to go” plate up to our room with one of their dessert crepes later at night. Toscannis: Nice change of pace for dinner; it was fun to dress up and go on a “date”. Loved the antipasto bar and the pasta was pretty good. More fun for the fancy date feeling than the food. Irish Pub: Great atmosphere and after a day out in the sun it was almost too cool. Yummy fish and chips, fun bartenders and connected to the pool tables. Finally Barefoot: Loved the atmosphere and the food was good too. Went there for lunch (hamburger joint type stuff) and dinner more upscale (my favorite meal was the yellow fin tuna). At all the restaurants we tried to stick to ingredients and flavors that lent themselves to the Caribbean – we were never disappointed. Alcohol – both my husband and I like wine and therefore didn’t drink any. We weren’t willing to spend more for what would be acceptable wine and we were both happy with the beer or the mixed drinks. At dinner I would ask for the better alcohol but during the day it didn’t bother me that I didn’t get top shelf stuff in my drinks (who wants to be snozzled by noon?).
Beach and Pool – We are beach people so that is where we spent most of our time. However around 2 or 3 we would have enough of the sand and head to the pool for the rest of the time. We actually only hung out in the main pool once – after that we discovered the other, quieter pools and went there instead. Never had trouble with towels or finding chairs. The beach was great and never felt too crowded. The water was gorgeous and crystal clear. The fish are curious and will come and nibble on you if you stay still too long. I hesitate to say so because I know it will freak some people out but it doesn’t hurt, it tickles and, once again, we were more entertained than anything else. The water is so clear you can actually see them swim up to you!! A word of advice for all the sun worshippers out there: Remember to wear sun block!! We wore spf 45+ and stayed in the shade when possible. We still got a bit burnt and we are not fair skinned. Lucky for us our sunburn turned into a tan but I saw some folks who looked absolutely miserable.
Activities – There was plenty to do, even for my husband who gets antsy if he sits still for more than five minutes. We did most of the water activities and had a blast. We are also tennis players and went out to the tennis courts. The pro was great, the classes were fun and the courts were very rarely busy. We also went snorkeling which was a lot of fun (and how we burned our backs). Also went on the Sunset cruise (cost extra) affectionately known as the “booze cruise” and had a really wonderful time. If I ever went back I would be tempted to do the whole day cruise it was so beautiful on the water. We also took advantage of the spa (cost extra) and had a massage. Wonderful and well worth the extra cost – we came out feeling like melted pads of butter.
All in all we had a great time. The staff was friendly and the service, while definitely in Caribbean time, was polite and (despite the time lapse) efficient. My advice; if you want a relaxing vacation and the opportunity to unwind and enjoy one another then go. Relax, have a Piton and have a great time!!

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wrexham, UK
Reviewed May 27, 2006

We stayed at the Grande for our honeymoon 17/5/06- 26/05/06 and tried not to build up our expectations too high before going as we had read the negative reviews.
We took the helicopter from the airport which was well worth it- that's not to say I wasn't scared stiff by the journey!! It cut down on the travel time after spending so long on the plane.
We were greeted with the cold towels and champagne on arrival which was just what we needed- v impressed with that. The bell boy showed us to our room shortly after and noted we did not have an ice bucket in our bathroom (as we should have- and stated he would sort this out). We approached reception twice more during this trip to ask for one to be put in our room- nothing arrived. In the end we used a plastic bag to fill with ice from the ice machine and put the champs in the ice in the bathroom sink!!
We had some very good food during our stay at the Grande- we enjoyed dinner at Barefoot and the London pub, not overly impressed with Toscaninis.
The hotel was ok, is built up to be more than it is. The accomodation was average, if not slightly above average but nothing more than this. The advertising for Sandals leads you to believe you will enter paradise- not quite the case!!
Weather was great, staff were generally v friendly and dealt with all requests.
Could not believe number of weddings that happened at the hotel each day- 6 was the most we saw per day. Brides would pass each other which doesn't seem right.
Sandals is billed as ultra all inclusive- true, lots was included for the price, but if you want true luxury there are lots of extras you pay for!
Don't think we'd go back. We'd maybe try another Sandals resort in future but not in a hurry.
One more thing to note is the annoying sellers on the beach- my husband went to the beach alone for 10 mins and was asked if he wanted to buy necklaces, starfish or a tour round the island (3 seperate sellers). Sandals have guards on the beach so don't understand why these people are allowed to come up to you and hassle you still.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 27, 2006

We stayed at Sandals Grande St Lucian from 30th April to 14th May 2006, this was our third Sandals holiday and was by far the best experience, our previous stays were in Cuba at Royal Hicacos and Royal Carribean in Jamaica.
Our room a deluxe, oceanfront was very comfortable and was well maintained, the standard of servce we received from all the staff was of a very professional nature.
On arrival at the hotel we encountered a few problems with two of the restaurants, this was dealt with promptly by the manager and the issues were addressed, from then on we did not have anything else to trouble us.
We used the Spa facilities they were excellant and very good value for money, the gym was like you would expect to find in any four star hotel in England.
We ate at all the restaurants at the Grande and we also went over to the Regency and ate in Kimonos, this was a great experience and one not to be missed in your holiday.
We found there to be plenty of activities to keep you occupied if you wished to participate, but equally if you were happy to be left alone then that too was not a problem.
Entertainment in the hotel is pretty low key, there were a couple of very good singers who performed on seperate nights, they were very easy to listen to.
The location we found to be the best of the three resorts in St Lucia, the resort itself was by far the most accessible, the restaurants were all close together, where as at the Regency you needed to take a shuttle bus between the restaurants.
The diving was very enjoyable and the staff were very professional, they spent lots of time and effort ensuring that everyone was safe and enjoyed their time spent diving.Most days were a two tank dive leaving in the morning after breakfast and returning at lunchtime, well worth the extra few hours.
To evaluate the whole holiday we both enjoyed the resort very much, we made good use of most of the facilities and thoroughly enjoyed the choice of restaurants and different foods there were to choose from, the fish was especially good!!
The staff and service we received were faultless, we will definately be recommending this resort to our friends and will be returning there for another holiday within the next couple of years.

9  Thank Jack1216
Reviewed May 22, 2006

We went to the Sandals Grande in St. Lucia in March 2006 for our wedding and honeymoon. We are in our mid-thirties and travel a lot and picked St. Lucia because it was exotic but a reasonable, direct flight from Atlanta. Since we have stayed at very nice places, we were a little sketchy about Sandals, we are so sorry we did listen to our gut. We landed in St. Lucia and boarded the Sandals Bus with 4 other couples. We knew it would be a long ride - but we were not expecting 3 hours! Upon checking into the hotel, we were greeted with a drink and shown to our room quickly. We got into our room and immediately found a few very very large cockroaches dead on the floor being eaten by swarms of ants! The room also smelled very old and musty. We also booked an OCEANFRONT room - but our room looked out to a road and the slightest peak at the ocean was blocked by trees. The porter, seeing the bugs and the smelling the odor quickly agreed our room was unacceptable and tried to help us arrange for a new room. Finally after much haggling with the front desk, we got a new room. This was room was like night and day compared to the old one. It was clean, smelled new, had new furnishings and a great OCEANVIEW. Since we had specifically said we were on our WEDDINGMOON - we thought it was pretty bad that they stuck us in such a crappy room first.

The food was the second worst part of this trip. There is really not much to do here so you look forward to sitting down and having a good meal, but there is nothing to look forward to... The buffet is downright disgusting, the little outdoor grill is probably your best bet and the Italian restaurant is not bad as long as you don't eat the meat. It's not meat like Americans are used to - it's some kinda of tough, chewy strange tasting substance. The drinks are completely watered down and are served in these cafeteria style plastic cups that really don't make them look fun or tasty! The food is really bad - it's like cafeteria style meals... pretty gross.

Now for the worst part - our wedding! The day after we arrived we met with the wedding coordinator which is basically a big sales pitch to try to sell you a bunch of stuff you really don't want. They meet with you for 15 minutes - take a little information - then tell you to come back in an hour or two - this goes on throughout the day at least 3 or 4 times - so don't make any plans for that day. For the location of our wedding - we picked the beach - that is why we came to the Caribbean! They showed us a quiet area on the end of the beach away from people - this is what we wanted - we wanted our wedding to be as quiet and secluded as possible. The day of the wedding, they came to get me, almost an hour late. While I'm waiting outside, they walk my husband to be right in front of me as I'm standing in my white dress and veil. We walk down to the beach, but the wedding is no where close to the spot we picked. They set up the arch right smack in front of the pool, where they're doing limbo and a bongo band is playing! They get the band to stop for our wedding but by now a crowd of at least 50 people have gathered around! As they play the "here comes the bride song," the CD player breaks. As I walk up to my groom he says - don't say a word, I know this is horrible, I already yelled at them, let's just get married, it is what it is! So that was our wedding. The cake and food and pictures that followed were also very disappointing. We spent a lot of money on the pictures because they are the only wedding pictures we have - and they look very cheap - very poor quality - and they are not artistic in the least. My husband sums it up best - it's like getting married in Vegas - only we were on the beach.

Basically everything was so awful we wanted out of there so bad, we made up an excuse and left the day after our wedding. We spent $5320.00 for 8 days - so this was not cheap - and since Sandals would not give us our money back - we have a 4 night credit to go back - oh joy!

We seriously did not want to go back - but we don't want to waste more than $2500.00 either so we thought we would just book the Bahamas because it's close and less than 10 minutes from the airport. If you have a credit - BEWARE - it is not easy to rebook and you will not get what you paid for unless you fight for it. First you have to call a number - you'll be on hold forever, they tell you to write a letter with your preferred location and dates - you have to fax it in and then wait for a phone call or email. I actually had some questions and wanted to discuss my options - but I never got a phone call - just an email with our reservation... and a room category FAR LESS $$$ than we had originally booked. The letter stated we were entitled to a room of COMPARABLE VALUE- but we had a credit of $2630.00 and they booked us in the least expensive room - valued at $1100.00! When I called - they told me the rates had gone down and it's comparable at today's rates! They said if I wanted dollar for dollar - I would have to call the hotel in St. Lucia and get a letter that stated COMPARABLE CREDIT - and ONLY THEN - could they give us a better room.

My advise - just stay far far far away from Sandals. If you 're looking for a luxury - save your money and book the Four Seasons or the Ritz - you will pay the same and actually get nice accomadations and service.

36  Thank TravelBug1971