Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Hotel(Rodney Bay)(Great Value!)
$111
Coco Palm Resort(Rodney Bay)(Great Value!)
$298
$101
Heritage House Rodney Bay(Rodney Bay)(Great Value!)
$90
$69
$179
$162
  • Breakfast included
Bay Court Inn(Rodney Bay)(Great Value!)
$70
$267
Hotels.com
blu St Lucia(Gros Islet)
$265
$95
Bay Gardens Beach Resort(Gros Islet)
$183
Hotels.com
The Ginger Lily Hotel(Gros Islet)(Great Value!)
$105
Stephanie's Hotel(Gros Islet)
$60
7,311 results
All reviewsla toccrepesclub levellondon pubour honeymoonenglish pubmain poolbutler servicebutler suitespeedboat tourjerk shackred lane spast luciafort rodneyno pressurelagoon poolpigeon island
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 13, 2004

This was our first anniversary trip back to Sandals for my husband and I and we had even a better time the second time. We were at the Regency last year for our honeymoon. We enjoyed the Regency also. It seemed like the Grande had more to do though. We really enjoyed getting the conceirge service this time. There were so many things that they just took care of for us. We loved being able to order food anytime we wanted to have in our room too. My husband wanted to tip the conceirge server though. He felt so guilty not tipping the help. I didn't really feel bad after paying a good sum of money for our trip. He is the sensitive one in our relationship. :)

The other thing that I loved was the staff being so friendly. Everyone said hello to you. Even the people who were just on the premises to fix things. I loved Elijah the activities coordinator who played volleyball with us. He was very excited about working at Sandals and you could tell he loved his job.

To be very honest next year I have already booked a trip to the new Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica and now I really wish I was going back to St. Lucia to the Grande. I'm sure I will love the Whitehouse Sandals too! This is definitely a yearly trip my husband and I will look forward to.

• Stayed: December 2004
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 13, 2004

What a beautiful island and lovely resort & people.

First, I must start off saying to all who write negative reviews about Sandals Grande - Just stay home! Anybody, reading this review, DO NOT have any concerns about your upcoming trip and IGNORE all the bad reviews. You will have a spectacular vacation at Sandals Grande. Those bad reviewers must be accustomed to THE RITZ which Sandals is not. Sandals is an experience and a wonderful one...

My husband and I just got back from Sandals Grande and it was a wonderful experience. We have been to Maui and this is very comparable. The view of the mountains from The honeymoon Penthouse concierge room was FANTASTIC! The beach was very nice (comparable the Sandals Negril). The water is crystal clear. The pools are kept beautiful. Finally, the people at the resort from the wait staff to the maid were wonderful. We have travelled to many islands and St Lucia had some of the nicest people. To all who complain about a musty smell in your room - Hello - your in the carribean! Put the A/C on and you will smell nothing but clean air. The room is simple but very clean and tropical like. When you go to a resort like Sandals you are paying for the views/beach and service. If you want the Ritz then stay in the Bill Clinton Suite. That is absolutely gorgeous - we took a tour. If you like bottled piton vs draft - get the Concierge service. If you like layed back then stay at the Halcyon. But, for us the Grande had it all. Good food, good drink, good people and the best of grounds & views.

11  Thank SunshineLL
Reviewed December 13, 2004

I have been obsessed with reading reviews to the 'Grande', since my husband and I were going there for our Honeymoon. I've read so many bad reviews, and I was really worried that all that money we spent would be not worth it in the end.

Well, we just got back on Dec. 11th, and I have to say......It was the most incredible place!!!!

First of all, I've been to MANY five star properties, from Mexico to the Bahamas, and the Grande is by far the most gorgeous property I've been to. I have to agree with someone who cleverly stated "Don't sweat the small stuff", some reviews back. The funny thing is, I found myself thinking that quote a few times.

The only things that weren't perhaps the best part about the resort are perhaps the rooms, and the lack of really substantial seafood.

Here's what I mean; We stayed in a Honeymoon Penthouse Beachfront Concierge room, and I have to say the room isn't spectacular. However, the VIEW is what you are paying for in these rooms. They are kept very clean, and we had a great sleep every night. We did change rooms after the first night, because the room we were in was carpeted, and it was pretty musty. Request a tiled room with your Travel agent, so that you don't have to do it when you arrive. Also, the concierge service is Sssooooo worth it! I know there will be different opinions on this, but I loved coming back to the room at around 4:30, and making a drink for my husband and I....sitting out on the balcony, and ordering up nachos or a cheese and cracker plate before dinner (the cheese and cracker plate isn't on the room service menu, but they'll make one up for you, no problem!) Plus it was our honeymoon, so we may have gone back to the room a little early after dinner.....having the alcohol in the room was nice. OH! And bottled water was essential, and that was also stocked on a daily basis.

As far as the food, we live in Toronto, and have been so many Five star restaurants. The food is good. You're on vacation, at an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean, so it's not going to be exactly the same type of five star you get in the city you're from, but we enjoyed most of the food at the resort. The portions were actually very good. We read that the portion sizes were small, but I went to bed full every night. We loved Toscaninis, and Le Toc at the Regency, and had a wonderful meal at The Pier restaurant at the Halcyon. Everyone has different experiences with different restaurants at the resort. I was looking forward to Barefoot by the sea, but I think the night we went....they were very busy. Also, I looove seafood, and was really looking forward to a lobster dinner, or perhaps crab. The seafood they do have, is a little disappointing. Bayside's breakfasts were really good! Actually their lunches were pretty great as well. For buffet, they tried to change it up as much as possible (which is good, because nothing's worse than eating the same buffet food all week). We had crepes at Josephines one day.....absolutely INCREDIBLE! We found the service to be wonderful.

The people in St. Lucia are WONDERFUL! I've never been to a friendlier island. I guess we were lucky, because unlike a recent review, we found the St. Lucian people to be genuine, hospitable, and VERY friendly. "No Pressure, no problem". It's a great motto. They live by it. Our drinks had plenty of alcohol in them, and yes, sometimes you wait for a few minutes, but they always have two or three bartenders serving, so if there's a wait, it usually wasn't long. We absolutely can't rave enough about the friendly people of St. Lucia! The "Playmakers" (activities staff) were also fabulous! Always, lots to do. My husband and I won the Newlyweds game they put on! How fun is that?! (I never win anything, so I get a little over excited about it)

Overall, there are so many things to do at the resort, and the island itself is the most spectacular place I've seen. As a wise reviewer once said, "Don't sweat the small stuff". You will have a wicked time, if you just sip your 'Dirty Banana' and enjoy the sunshine!!!

18  Thank Kate_Kulas2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed December 6, 2004

Long flight from Bay Area. Took helicopter from airport to Castries airport to and from, would have saved money if booked with sandals before we left and would have flown right to resort if we didn't come in on sunday. Helicopter transfers do not land at the resort on sundays. Helicopter ride is the way to go my wife gets cars sick.
Had honeymoon beachfront penthouse concierge room. The room we had 1407 was right next to the Clinton suite, what a perfect view. Room was great, but it did have a musty smell. Room was restocked with everything each day. Room was cleaned twice a day.
Room service was great you had a good selection of food to order from.
The food at all the restuants we went was good, but some of the service was slow. We ate at Barefoot by the sea, Toscaninis, Bayside, Josaphines all at the grand, Kimonos at the Regency, The Pier, Marios's at the Halycon.
Activities were great.
Wedding was on the beach and was wonderful, my wife and I both had the wedding of are dreams. The photography was not up to par though, but the video was very good. Book the diner on the beach it is great real romantic.
Planing another trip for our aniversary.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed December 1, 2004

We were at Sandals Grande St. Lucian for our honeymoon Nov. 2nd thru the 9th. Friends of ours had honeymooned there 3 years ago and told us to save our money and go to Hawaii. We truly wished we had. It was a relief to read similar complaints in the previous reviews. We too felt like our room was comparable to Motel 6. We stayed in the honeymoon concierge suite. There was nothing "suite" about it. It was just like all the other rooms, with a couple of chairs and a table next to the bed. The carpet was very worn and stained. The furniture was severely damaged. There were deep scratches in the tables, armoire and headboard. It looked like they had just had a wild frat party there the night before. On the positive side, our view was beautiful, overlooking the beach and island.

Our main issue was with the resort staff. We found them to be forcibly polite and less than helpful. We had the same problems with the pool bar - standing there for 10 minutes with staff right in front of us and ignoring us. One staff member went so far as to start dusting the bottles of alcohol like it became a sudden priority. We went to the London Pub for dinner one night and were told the wait would be 45 minutes, which we didn't mind. We waited in the bar for close to an hour and noticed that people that had come in after us were being seated. My husband went to check on our name on the waiting list and saw that we had been checked off as having been seated. When he told the hostess that we had been waiting all that time she insisted that we must have left the restaurant and missed our seating. We were in the bar the whole time. She reluctantly seated us without an apology. Our dinner came an additional 45 minutes later and our drinks were served by me - having to get up and go to the bar myself as our drink order was never served.

We had our wedding vows renewed and paid to have pictures taken. We were told the pictures would be ready the next day. We went to the photo shop the next day and a staff member told us we were incorrectly informed and the pictures could not possibly be ready until the following day. We again went to the photo shop the following day at 4pm, giving them most of the day to complete the job. When we walked in, there were 6 staff members standing around the counter laughing. When we walked in, no one said anything to us. We asked about our pictures and they said they were not ready. We asked when they would be ready and they said they didn't know. There was no sense of urgency and a blatant disregard for any courtesy whatsoever. We told them that we were leaving at 4am the next morning and were told that the pictures could possibly be delivered to our room when they were done. At 9pm that evening there were still no pictures.

We went to the activities booth one day to see if we could play tennis. Normally they request a 24 hour reservation on equipment. We thought we would take a chance. We asked the woman there if we could play and she asked if we had a reservation. We told her no, but we were hoping something might be free that afternoon. She told us that she could reserve something the following day, seeming unwilling to check the current day's reservations. So we finally asked her to check the current date. Resentfully she checked and informed us that the entire afternoon was free. We were exhausted by the effort we had to put into this. When we got to the tennis courts a tennis instructor was there giving a lesson to another guest. He noticed us and informed my husband that he would have to put a shirt on. When my husband told him that he wasn't aware of the rule and that they hadn't mentioned it at the booth the instructor said "they probably figured that you played tennis before and you knew what you were doing". We have played tennis before and were happy to comply with the rules but the comment was rude and completely uncalled for.

We were fortunate enough to have one staff member willing to go out of her way to be nice to us. Her name was Michelle and she worked at the Bayside restaurant. She was great. I asked her if should would mind brining ice cream to go with my dessert and she said "you are my people, I'm here to take care of you". Unfortunately, her positive attitude was definitely in the minority among the staff.

Amazingly enough, I have many more unfortunate stories of our trip, just not enough room or time to list them all. Overall the staff seemed extremely resentful of the guests. I wanted to go home after only a few days there. The best time we had in St Lucia was when we weren't at the resort. We wasted a lot of money on something that was supposed to be wonderful. It was anything but that.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member