Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
Good 3.5/5
Stephanie's Hotel(Gros Islet)
Average 3/5
7,247 results
All reviewsla toccrepesclub levellondon pubour honeymoonenglish pubmain poolbutler servicebutler suitespeedboat tourjerk shackred lane spast luciafort rodneyno pressurelagoon poolpigeon island
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was our third Sandals vacation, and the Grande St. Lucian was the best yet, even beating out Whitehouse, which in my opinion is tough!

The resort:
Absolutely beautiful! The beach was beautiful, a few rocks and shells in one section, but the other sections of the beach were perfect. There was also a beautiful view of Fort Rodney and Signal Hill on Pigeon Island which was a quick walk along the beach from the resort (more about that below).
Our room was perfect! We stayed in a Rondoval and would definitely recommend it! Having your own private pool and hot tub was so worth it! And our butlers, Immer and Sabie, were top-notch! This was the first time we have booked a butler room, and they definitely added to the experience. My personal favorite touch was how wonderfully Immer unpacked my luggage upon arriving. It made the entire trip a lot more organized and gave me one less thing to worry about! And Sabie was very attentive the entire week. She made sure to check with us multiple times throughout the day, even if we hadn't called her with any requests.

We love to snorkel, but were so busy seeing the island most days that we failed to schedule any snorkeling through Sandals. However, most days we used our own snorkel gear and swam around the various jettys at the resort and we saw tons of beautiful fish right there off the beach!

The food is what you expect from an all-inclusive, it was good, but not what you would get a true 5 star resort. However, Gordon's was fabulous! We had dinner there two nights and it cannot be beat. From the food to the location, it was wonderful! Have your butler request a table on the end overlooking the water and you will not be disappointed.

St. Lucia:
As nice as the resort was, the island of St. Lucia is what made this trip spectacular. If I can recommend one splurge for your entire trip, it is to take the helicopter transfer from the airport! It was a wonderful way to begin our vacation and see the island while everyone else spent an hour and a half on winding roads getting to the resort! We took the private car transfer back, and while our driver was wonderful, the roads were less than ideal, especially for someone who gets as carsick as I do! Also, make sure you book the coastal route, and not the direct route through the island.

As I mentioned above, the resort is right next to Pigeon Island. We spent a morning at the park, which you can get to by walking along the beach and paying the small admission fee (I believe it is around $6). I recommend that everyone climb to the top of the fort, because you do not want to miss the beautiful views. There are a few points along the climb that are fairly steep, but most people should have no trouble with that. If you are fit and not afraid of a bit of a dangerous climb, I definitely suggest climbing to the top of Signal Peak as well (the taller of the two points in the park). While looking up, it doesn't look bad because you see the grassy side of the hill, once you start to climb, it is pretty difficult when you get around to the other, more steep side, but so worth it when you get to the top! The view of the island (and of nearby Martinique) was breathtaking!

If you are going to do one excursion while you are at the resort, I definitely recommend an island boat tour (but not through Sandals' tour company). We booked ours through Exodus, which has reps walking up and down the beach most days. We were skeptical at first, because they looked a bit sketchy, but several other guests came up to us and told us how wonderful the tour was, and boy were they right! This was an all-day tour, but because it was via boat rather than bus, you didn't feel like you were wasting an entire day traveling because you got to see so many things on your way to each destination. They took us into Marigot Bay, to snorkel at the base of the Pitons (AMAZING!), to the mud baths (this was an experience I wouldn't repeat.. but it was worth trying once), waterfalls, and to eat lunch at a local restaurant, which was the best meal we had in St. Lucia..and it was served in a shack! You can also negotiate on the price a bit with these guys, and it ends up being cheaper than the Sandals version of the trip, and a lot more fun! It was the best day that we had the entire time we were there!

We also went zip-lining, and booked this through Sandals. The zip lining tour was a lot of fun, but it was about an hour away from the resort by bus, so if you get car sick easily, this may not be the trip for you.

Room Tip: Book a Rondoval!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JRS87
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had fun here, but the buildings were a little dated compared to another Sandals I've stayed at. There were a few days during our stay that the hot tub wasn't working, so that was a dissapointment. The food, nightlife, and staff were great. Our main focus was to relax on the beach, which we accomplished.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed in June for 7 nights and loved it. I am a Director of Sales & Marketing at a high end resort in South Florida and being in the resort business the service/cleanliness level expectations are pretty high for me. The process of booking our wedding was very smooth and seamless. We didn't have a wedding party as this was our second marriage but met some nice couples before the wedding that watched and cheered us on. Wonderful wedding pictures were taken even thought expensive, they turned out very well. Monica in Wedding Sales should be promoted. She really came through and did a great job ensuring it was a smooth process from start to finish.

The staff was wonderful. Prompt service, with smiles and eye contact. If you asked directions, they didn't point in any direction, they escorted you to your destination. We moved from a concierge suite to a Butler room where we had our own private pool, hot tub, living area and butler overlooking the water. More expensive indeed but you are paying for the experience. The resort in itself is beautiful. The food was excellent and drinks were great for being an all inclusive. I have mentioned the Pro's but here are the Con's that upper management needs to address are:

The staff at the water sports Desk are unfriendly. They don't smile, look at you as if you are dumb tourist..which we probably are but they don't have to reinforce it. The men stand around and look at your wife while she is in a bikini...kind of uncomfortable. This is a simple training issue that can be addressed during staff meeting. Another issue was that you had solicitors on the beach that hassle you to come over and buy their service. Sandals doesn't own the beach so they are allowed to stand there day and night. There are stray dogs outside of the resort in the park which is sad but it seems to be the norm there which is unfortunate. The cons wouldn't keep me from going back...trust me. But thought you should know.

If you are looking for Sun, good drinks/food, friendly staff, clean rooms, activities, honeymoon or wedding this is the place to go. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Just because you select water view doesn't mean you are going to have a good view. There is the front side of the resort and the back side. Always ask for the front side otherwise you are looking at a road and some AC units on the back side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Brett L
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Being at sandals grande for the day was very exciting and fun. I must say that the staff gave very good treatment like they were trained to do so. Firstly I at the bar, Carol was very friendly and respective and also gave me a special drink called "Carol special", this drink was so delicious that i had more than one. She really exhibited good bar tending skills and ethics.

Next on my list is Francis, he was the guy at the bar in the pool area. He really has a great sense of humor and not to mention. his drinks , GOSH , they were up to standards. He had different specials with a variety of mixtures and blends. He really loves what he is doing and passionate about it. This was reflected in the drink that he made for me.

Also, Keenan at the pizza place was really friendly and warm hearted. She demonstrated good customer service and also made it her duty to attend to the every needs of the people in her surrounding area. She greeted me with a smile and had a friendly approach towards me. I rate her service EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donna Regis at the front desk was welcoming and made me feel special with her radiant smile and up beat personality.

Lastly sherlene at the burger area was a very down to earth individual and gave excellent service for the time i spent there.

Overall this individual that i mentioned deserved some sort of recognition, because they have done too

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had the pleasure of going to the Grande on a day pass and I must admit that I had a wonderful time! From the time we arrived to the time we left it was non stop fun and relaxation. Of the staff members I do remember by name i must commend Carol and Francis for the amazing drinks and jokes, for sure I cannot forget Keenan who served us at the pizzeria with her infectious smile and great service and Donna Regis and Shirlene who entertained us while waiting for our meal! Thanks to all who made my time there an truly enjoyable one!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lawrencius
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review. We're so happy to read that you spent some time with us and enjoyed your day at Sandals Grande St. Lucian.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Hopefully, for a much longer stay!