Killiecrankie Hotel
Moulin Hotel(Pitlochry)
$245
$199
Hotels.com
Tigh Na Cloich Hotel(Pitlochry)
$105
The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel(Pitlochry)(Great Value!)
$116
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Atholl Arms Hotel(Pitlochry)(Great Value!)
$154
  • Restaurant
Birchwood(Pitlochry)
$146
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshot water bottlesvegetable gardensmall country house hotelsitting roomwarm welcomefirst classlocal produceturn down servicememorable stayvenisoncooked to perfectionwine listwonderful hotelwell worth a visitowner's doghenriettabeanie
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We visited for a weekend in September. Warm welcome from Henrietta, Ross and the team. Lovely room, and made to feel comfortable and at home. Superb dinner both evenings with some very good suggested wine matches on the menu. A very good relaxed breakfast. I was very impressed that Ross remembered odd things from our last visit that I had forgotten! This is a very special place with a team that seem to have got it just about right.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a view to some side of the grounds
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Killiecrankie, Owner at Killiecrankie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you so much - we really enjoyed having you to stay and I do apologise for the tardiness of my acknowledgement - I just escaped to the Tuscan hills for a few days!

I am truly lucky with my team who are always evolving and I am always grateful for their help. It's particularly gratifying when our guests mention them in their reviews so thank you for that too - we shall really look forward to seeing you again before too long.

With best wishes from us all
Henrietta

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Killiecrankie House and its owner/proprietor, Henrietta, are gems... not to be missed if you're in the Pitlochry/Blair Atholl, Killiecrankie area of the highlands. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, Henrietta is a wonderful, and very efficient, host, and the staff are top notch. Beyond that, the kitchen is absolutely first rate. Don't miss the opportunity to stay a few nights as you explore this part of Scotland!

Room Tip: Leave it to Henrietta!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Killiecrankie, Owner at Killiecrankie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

You made me blush - then cry - then blush again! Thank you so much for writing not so much a review as an endorsement. I do love the people who come through our doors, usually without preconceptions, and I am glad to see that that shows.

My little hotel is a 'work in progress' We will never be perfect, (nor have air conditioning!) but thank goodness our regulars seem to like those things about us. Do come back and see us soon!

With every good wish

Henrietta

Reviewed September 15, 2013

What could have been a most delightful experience was tainted by the attitude of the owner. She seemed put out at any request, and we ultimately felt better to deal with the staff than the owner, who only seemed to show a positive face with the locals who dined there (very few restaurants in the area)!

Our room was very well prepared, though small, and compact. We had a nice western view, and were able to open the windows to get some breeze, which was needed, as there is poor circulation of air within the building.

Price for room and breakfast/dinner is £ 208/couple. Dinner was well presented and service was adequate. However, for the price paid, a more generous portion, especially for the gentleman, would have been in order.

Another slight, but irritating issue was that the owner asked us what Saturday newspaper we wanted the next day, and when we checked out we saw a charge for £3.20 on our bill…would have been nice to know we were going to get charged, and that it wasn’t complimentary.

Lovely grounds helped offset the negative attitude, and we tried to enjoy the gardens.

All in all, I’d stay elsewhere, and couldn’t recommend this property.

Room Tip: upstairs for better ventilation
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lawrence C
Killiecrankie, Owner at Killiecrankie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

I’m sorry you didn't like me and that your stay at Killiecrankie was such a disappointment as a result. I do try to make all our guests as happy as possible during their stay but clearly it didn’t work this time.
I remember your visit well, although it is some weeks since you stayed with us. Apart from your wish to chose your room allocation on checking in – which wasn’t possible as they’d been let for some time (and some were occupied!) – I wasn’t aware of any issues. You clearly didn't like the hotel, or me, so I will not make excuses. But I’m sorry to read your review. Doubly so since, as you told me you were a travel agent - and received a special rate as a result - I’d have thought it appropriate to raise your concerns with me directly, rather than through Tripadvisor.
I know that it is not possible to please every guest, regardless of how hard we try. But I hope Tripadvisor readers will balance the odd poor review we receive against the many positive ones (for which we are so grateful) before making up their minds.

Henrietta Fergusson

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have visited only for dinner, initially as a guest of friends locally and always found the whole experience excellent. This time , in August, it was I who had to find a table for five and we were given a time which suited. The other four from the South are used to top rate cooking and thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the whole event, so no more detail necessary : this was a bonus for me.(Good choice of courses and wine|; when one guest asked for a non-menu sweet based on strawberries, it was no problem.) Just an excellent place to dine, and I look forward to repeat visits, as there is no point looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank menzies b
Killiecrankie, Owner at Killiecrankie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Phew - I am so glad your very discerning friends enjoyed their Killiecrankie experience letting both you and me off the hook. Thank you so much for reviewing your experience on TripAdvisor - as always, we take nothing for granted and are always just a bit humbled when we read such nice things about us.

Please do make it a regular stop - we look forward to seeing you again soon!

With best wishes from all the Killiecrankie team

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This small but amazingly friendly hotel is one of the best hotels in Scotland; we have stayed in a few dozen well-rated ones in the past decade. It is well located for shopping visits to House of Bruar and Pitlochry, cultural visits to Blair Castle, distillery tours or walking in hills of the highlands. Our room with private bath for 2 nights at the end of August was well equipped and comfortable and the wi-fi was easy to use. We were not surprised that many of the guests were repeat clients, including Scots wanting a few days of relaxation within a few hours’ drive from their homes.. All staff were polite, relaxed and very helpful. Even the hotel’s spaniel was a welcome companion in the well-equipped bar. The dining room offers a good selection of epicurean dinner choices and a full cooked breakfast.
Peter Hebb, Vancouver, Canada

Room Tip: Ask for a "garden view" - which includes all rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter H
Killiecrankie, Owner at Killiecrankie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

We so enjoyed having you all to stay and to see how patient you were, enduring petticoat government! I don't know how many of my friends' husbands would be quite so long-suffering!
Thank you too for taking the time to write such a lovely review, and for signing it./ THese days TripAdvisor is so important to the travelling public so we do appreciate the effort you make.

Do come and see us again - we love having Canadians to stay, it makes Julie feel at home!

With best wishes from us all