Majika's Island Resort
All reviewsisland resorthot springsthe cottagescoral gardenstable tennisship wrecksno electricitytake caremarine parkcoron tripkeep up the good worknature loversthank you so muchwould highly recommend this placesoul searchingbeautiful naturenice house
Reviewed May 20, 2013

3 weeks has past since our trip to Philippines/Coron . Spent the first agonizing week fighting jetlag in Toronto but now I'm ready for my review :

DAY I SUMMARY

My family visited Majika on April 28-May 1st --Too short to be honest . I would have loved to stay longer but time wouldn't permit as me and my sister had to get back to Canada for work. Everyone seems to always end up in Boracay these days so my family decided to try something different . most of my friends have recommend to head to Palawan instead so my aunt arranged it and off we went . Before our flight to Coron ; my sister did a bit of research about the resort and told me that we couldn't swim in the water because of jellyfish. I thought she was joking ; i thought it was a little odd that we weren't allowed to swim on a beach resort.

From the airport we met up with the Majika van waiting outside . It was a 45min drive to this pier to where were we transferred to these motor boats that took us to Majika island that took another 20mins . The boatmen introduced themselves and Junior told us about the restrictions of swimming in the water due to the jellyfish. He also showed us another fisherman who had scars on his leg because of it. When our boat docked on the shoreline . Everyone had to walk into the shoreline a couple of feet --- I waited till everyone got off and i went in last .

And of course, it had to happen to me .

You see, I took 2 steps into the water towards the shoreline ... and i felt this sting on my left foot . Turns out I walked into right jellyfish tentacles that sat right on top of my foot ! It started to sting even more but after some vinegar that they had applied ( luckily no one had to pee on my foot ) --- eventually the stinging went away. Seriously ; moments before the boatmen warned us about the Jellyfish, one happened to greet me arriving on the island !

After that stunning welcome ( pun intended ha) -- we got acquainted with the Majika staff members . Played a bit of billiards and ping pong and had early dinner so we can head on up the hillside to check out the sunset. I was amazed to see a pitcher plant for the very first time ! They were scattered allover the hillside. The view from up above was just spectacular . Not to mention the gentle breeze -- if only we could sleep up there and gaze up to the stars ! As the dusk settled and night was upon us --- we shared more stories at the bar/lounge area and we called it a day in preparation for the next days activities ! The Majika island is capable of accommodating groups of guests - the 5 of us were the only ones there. I was kind of hoping to meet other people from different parts of the world but I guess our timing was off - but hey that's alright !

DAY II SUMMARY

Our first whole day in Palawan; Me and my sister tried to catch the sunrise but we woke up late . Junior went with us atop of the hill.After lunch we went offered to go scuba diving with Marlon --- I was a bit hesitant to do it at first but I figured how many times will you ever get the chance to go scuba diving ?10 minute crash course with Marlon- oh man, I was hooked ! This was the highlight of my entire trip to the Philippines. We saw an shipwrecked japanese boat on the Tangat Island. If you've never gone scuba diving, DO IT = *MIND-BLOWN*

Snorkelling at white sands was next , ( note: Snorkelling just wasn't the same after Scuba Diving haha ) Lots of nice scenic areas we went to at Kayangan Lake and Barracuda Lake ! The water was insanely clear that you can see the bottom of the ocean floor - and man it was DEEP . lotsa tourists from other resorts but that was expected. We had a mid afternoon lunch at the Kayangan lake shoreline while our feet dangled in the seawater ! We were also greeted by a wild monkey !

After the tours from the two lagoons, our boat went for another pit stop at a coral reef where we did a final snorkelling dive at an area that had the most fish ! I've never seen such an abundant number of corals and fish in one area ! Sea Urchins the size of basketballs . We then proceeded to the town of Coron so the crew can restock and it was nice to have a bit of a break . Found a nice cold glass of coca cola at a nearby sari sari store !

Back on Majika Island ; we had dinner and my family had each requested a 1 hour deep massage session with Ms. Joyce . Man she sure is a tough little cookie with those hands --- there was 5 of us too !

As the day came to an end ; I went for a walk, I hung out at the bar and had a beer with Tin Tin sharing stories while we watched Game of Thrones on TV ( Season 3 episode 3 ! )

DAY III SUMMARY

Sadly our trip came to an end. We were supposed to go on another snorkel run in the morning but we passed because we just wanted to unwind and relax for the remainder of the morning. I hung out by the shoreline and found a Jellyfish that beached on shore ( oh yes i got my revenge ) . Momentarily, it was time to part ways . We bid farewell to half of the Majika staff and group of them brought us back to the mainland pier :

Just before riding the Van back to the airport ; Junior took us around this Mangrove Forest and Marlon brought out this giant nautilus shell/ snail --- The biggest f'n snail I've ever seen in my life !

We all got back on the Van and they took us back to the airport . Our flight was a slight bit delayed but we made it back to Manila around 3pm. It was my last and final day in the Philippines . May 1st, we flew back to reality ... Back to Toronto …….

*** SOME RANDOM NOTES ; IN MY OPINION ***

LOCATION : Some people might find it inconvenient that you aren't able to swim in the water freely because of the jellyfish but there are so many places they take you to do that ! There is also a pool being built so rest assure you will have the time of your life ! Hammocks everywhere . The bar/lounge has billiards, ping pong, Karaoke too ! We all had zero mosquito bites . Just bring proper bug repellant and you'll be fine.

SERVICE : The food was decent ! I was content . It tasted good too ! I was hoping for inihaw na pusit ( BBQ Squid ) but that's ok Ive had too much already in Manila -- nonetheless, no real complaints. Cold drinking Water was available .They have various beverages , pop, beer, for a very small reasonable price ; Not bad at all ! First towel is free ℅ the staff but after that its a $100 pesos ? i can't remember … we had our own towels . We never had mosquito problems in the rooms . (I think ive gotten more mosquito bites in manila actually !) Just make sure you close the door or they'll come in of course .. One thing about the rooms you should be aware of is the electricity is only on during the evening to preserve power ( makes sense ) … so charge your electronics, mobile devices at night =)

The staff are the friendliest nicest and hard working people I've ever met on an island resort - very thankful for making our stay a most memorable one !

CLEANLINES : It wasn't so bad . The cottage/rooms are well kept. No big complaints or issues. Food was clean. Drinking Water was clean . A+

ROOMS : We only really used the rooms to sleep as we were out most of the day . We were in house 5 . I slept like a baby at night under that electric ceiling fan. Theres no AC but theres ceiling fans which made it even better in my opinion. Bathroom was decent ; There was a tabo and big pail, c'mon its traditional filipino style bathing ! I don't remember having hot water but the water temperature from the faucet was tolerable and actually refreshing - Toilet flushed normally in our cottage. If they didn't flush its not the end of the world people . Be thankful you have toilets even.. geez !!!.

SLEEP QUALITY : Slept like a baby - no joke !

VALUE : Comparing it to all the other overly priced resorts in Coron, it was well worth it., it was well worth every peso . I'd go back again without any hesitation.

*** GENERAL TIPS AND OBSERVATION ***

* You'll have a much better time going to the island with zero to no expectations ! I did and I absolutely LOVED it

* The Majika staff are the nicest, friendliest and well informative group of island resort hosts I have ever met !

* Watch out for jellyfish in the water ! The head is harmless but tentacles will sting ya . They majika crew have vinegar around so don't worry, no one will end up peeing on you .

* If you're looking to relax the best possible way, Majika has massage services on the island - make sure to ask for Joyce . She's tiny but man she will seriously destroy all stress out of your body … I mean it ! She will ask you, "Soft, Medium, Hard" …. I picked medium and oh man; i can't imagine what the HARD massage must be like . Joyce was surprised my sister went for the hard massage and was able to get thru it ! Highly Recommended =)

* 3G signal on the island doesn't work very well but cellular works ( i was able to text ppl in manila ok using a smart sim card)

* The bar/lounge at Majika has a television set which gets the regular channels. At night we were watching Hunger games and Game of Thrones on TV .

* Scuba Diving with Marlon -- ( for P2000 / 30 min ) ---- DO IT ! Absolutely INCREDIBLE ! Highlight of my trip !

* Bring your own snorkelling goggles/snorkel . They have some to use but may be limited in numbers . If you have a dive suit or rash guard , bring that too to avoid having jellyfish come in contact with your body. Remember that some areas are inhabited , mainly near the shoreline and mangroves .

* If you do go Scuba Diving and have an underwater camera ; make sure to check with Marlon the depth limit of your camera or the water pressure underwater will ruin your camera/housing. I brought along my iPhone 4s watershot camera and it has a depth limit of 40m

* Bring mosquito repellant / OFF spray if you're gonna hike. I never gotten bitten once or had any major complaints about bugs

* Wear shoes if you're gonna hike up the mountain hillside behind Majika, it's a bit rocky but doable.

* They're building a swimming pool on Majika island ! Not sure when it will be done but will be available for people who wanna go swim !
3 days 2 nights is way too short -- If you can book 5 or maximum days I think you'll enjoy it even more !

* Have cash to carry around as creditcard/debit machines are tough to get by in town.

* If you're expecting something like Boracay --- this isn't it. It's a x1000 times better .

* Not used to being on such a remote, rustic island ? Quit complaining and just be happy that you are on vacation . Would you rather be in cold climate or listening to your boss ?! Think about it

* Relax, Have fun .. unwind and ENJOY THE ISLAND !

*** FINAL THOUGHTS ***

Growing up in a technology driven, industrial environment , it was really nice to be disconnected from it all --- it wasn't crowded or noisy . The island was calm and peaceful - The perfect getaway for relaxing. I admit i was a bit thrown off when we first got there ( jellyfish stings, poor 3G internet signals ) but in the end, you just end up embracing it all for what it is. If there was anything i could change about the trip to Majika , it would be making it a longer stay !!I ---- 3 days 2 nights just don't cut it.

It saddens me to read such degrading reviews from other guests/visitors because EVERYONE at Majika was so accommodating and outstanding hosts … seriously some people need to re-evaluate and get over yourselves ! Yes, I've read the previous reviews ; What kind of idiot goes on VACATION … ON AN ISLAND and COMPLAINS that they weren't taken to the mainland to attend Church. I am Roman Catholic and I go to church and pay my respects. Gee, I think the Lord will understand if you are unable to make it down for ONE DAY. Besides I don't see Majika advertising that Church is part of their excursions *sigh* . Anyway not to go off topic, but remember that moment when I got stung by jellyfish right when I took 2 steps in the water - well one would think that would set the bar and be horrified for the rest of the stay but that didn't ruin my trip at all ! Mother nature was just doing its thing -- its way of welcoming me to Coron .. right ? ! The sting disappeared after an hour . I was ok. .. and now have my jellyfish story to share and laugh about !

Well I could rant on and on about the beautiful scenery, corals, lagoons, scuba diving ,etc …. It was the wonderful Majika staff made my trip most memorable.

Tin Tin, Junior, Marlon, Ken, Joyce and everyone at Majika who may have been misunderstood/mistreated by previous guests , if you're reading this ; remember that we can't always please everyone and thats the reality of this world --- I've never met such thoughtful, friendly and good hearted people, don't anyone ever tell you otherwise because you guys are all P-H-E-N-O-M-E-N-A-L in my book !! ( Alright wheres the Facebook like button when you really need it ? )

Tita Majie, I never got a chance to meet you ( hopefully next time ) I want to say that your team did an absolutely incredible and outstanding job taking care of us during our stay … Yup - They definitely deserve a raise *wink* !

God bless my friends , until next time … i look forward to seeing you all again ! You can find a more detailed adventure about my trip on my website found here :

…. and also you can find me on instagram : http://www.instagram.com/sideshowsito

that's my 2 cents trip advisor folks

…This is Mr. Sito . Hope you all get to enjoy and experience the "majik"-a of the island !

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
18  Thank sssito
Reviewed May 12, 2013

If you're looking for a quick summer getaway, Majika is the place to go to. The resort will make you forget about the wild and rowdy Boracay, and give you an experience completely unique. I especially like that it is on a remote island in Coron and it will make you feel miles away from civilization for a much-needed unwinding. First thing I did upon arriving was turn both my cellphone and brain off, and headed straight to the dining hall for a welcoming meal. Then we spent the next two days boating and snorkeling around the different islets and it felt really refreshing coming from the usual 9-5 life of busy Makati. The meals in between the trips were also well-varied and satisfying, and my boyfriend and I slept like babies at night. Recommending the resort to everyone looking to recharge their batteries!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank aubs_011
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My group of college friends stayed at Majika’s this summer. Doing our research for the trip, we had a choice of staying at the cheap lodges or hotels at Coron town, at ultra expensive exclusive resorts or at this fairly priced island resort. Bad feedback from our other friends who experienced staying in Coron town accommodations led us to this booking.

We were extremely happy that we made the right choice. The moment we set out to sea after the land transfer from the airport, we were amazed by the awesome scenery. The cottages were rustic. No aircon, but comfortable enough. The clean and fresh air in the resort provided a nice respite from the polluted city air of Manila.

We spent the whole vacation on island hopping tours and doing endless adventure activities. Firefly watching was unique. We even saw shooting stars at night. But the activity I enjoyed most is fish feeding while standing on a World War II shipwreck. It was great as advertized! The food served in the resort gave us the needed energy to do this. Some of us even gained weight; home-cooked food prepared the old-fashioned way.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone wanting to visit Coron.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank kimimi08
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary in Coron,Palawan. We already had plane tickets but didn't have a plan as to where we were gonna spend our 6 days in Coron. I googled some resorts and hotels and it just so happened that Majika Resort was one of them. On the plane, we met a nice lady who for some reason shared that she stayed in Majika before. Other than affordable packages, she said the crew was very nice. As soon as we got to the airport, I started calling the number found in Majika Resort's website. 2 missed calls, no answer. On my third attempt, a very warm sounding woman answered my call. We got to Coron at 6pm and was told that it was too late to go to Majika Island Resort. Apparently, the waters aren't that safe at night. But the woman talking to me didn't stop there. She suggested other lodges in town where we can stay for the night. She even said we can tell the locals that we're family friends of Majika. That was oddly nice but nice anyway.

All lodges and hotels were fully booked when we got to town. My husband and I were very worried. It didn't help that we felt really tired from waiting and walking around. We got bored and decided to just drop by the Majika shop in town to meet the owner - Majika. We were ushered by really kind ladies. When we got to Majika's house, she welcomed us like she's known us for years. She gave us refreshments while she explained how she can help us in the next couple of days. When Majika found out that we didn't have a place to stay for the night, she offered one of her rooms in her house - free. I mean seriously, who does that? She just met us but she trusted us and made us feel very welcome. She was really nice.We felt really shy and decided to look for a cheap room just for the night instead.

The next morning, we were fetched by the Majika van. The men were very accommodating. When we met Majika to settle our payment before going to the Majika resort, she gave us a bag of crab. She said it's her anniversary gift to us. How cool is that?! :D

The van drove us to the boat that was gonna take us to the actual island resort. We met Kuya Marlon who was very nice as well. Honestly, my husband and I thought we were in Pleasantville or something.hahah! It was a 45 minute ride to the island resort. We were warned that there might be jellyfish by the shore and were told that they can take us to another area where we can swim safely. We didn't mind at all. You have to give it to them; They keep the mangroves by the shore because they are very environmentally aware of the mangroves' purpose. They keep the fish and other sea animals safe.

The whole 5 day tour with Kuya Marlon was awesome. AWEsome. He had such a good humor that we were laughing all the time. No kidding.hehheh The crew back in the island resort are equally nice. They made sure that we had a lot of food. We couldn't even finish what they serve every time we eat. Mind you, my husband and I eat a lot. We would make requests like we'd want mangoes whenever we eat. They would climb their trees just to give us what we wanted. There was another group that planned a surprise baby shower for their friend and the whole crew was in it. They decorated an area in the resort and it looked really pretty. <You can check the attached photos>

Overall, it was a great experience. Though there was no air-conditioning in the rooms, the experience wasn't bad at all. They have fans anyway. And it's Coron. It's supposed to be about nature.. To break away from the norms of the city. The people in Majika are just awesomely nice. Really a goodhearted bunch. A day after we got back to Manila, we already started missing them. :D

Tita Majika, kuya Marlon, ate Tintin, Joyce aka small but terrible <because she's tiny but gives one hell of a massage>, Arnel and everyone in Majika --- THANK YOU for making sure our stay was enjoyable. We're thinking of going back there in August.hihihih Hope to see you soon! :D

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank JessicaInYourHead
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Every summer we need to unwind and feel free to have joy and stress free for a moment.....

Majika Resort helps me to experience those things even in a short time. It seems like paradise and the highlight of the tour are the generous staff that assist and helped us. On our first day we check the resort and have a historic stories by the staff. We really amaze to those things that Majika resort have. Lots of activities and a grateful sights that you can look at.. all around!

What a full package and unforgettable experience.. When you try to be contented and thankful to those things that we have you will definitely appreciate God's wonderful creation.

P.S : I definitely recommend this resort in your summer vacation.. It is not late to visit and have a grateful stories at Majika Island Resort.. Thank you for reading. GOD Bless

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends