Majika's Island Resort
All reviewsisland resorthot springsthe cottagescoral gardenstable tennisship wrecksno electricitytake caremarine parkcoron tripkeep up the good worknature loversthank you so muchwould highly recommend this placesoul searchingbeautiful naturenice house
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This place is pretty average. The location isn't great, not much of a beach, more a swamp and therefore a crazy amount of mosquitoes. Unfortunately the rooms are not sealed up very well so bring a mosquito net. The rooms are also quite hot as they aren’t positioned to get the breeze. The tours are really good, such a beautiful area. The staff are nice and welcoming, plus great food and cheap drinks. However, the staff don’t seem to understand what tourists want. On our day trip to the lagoons we seemed to follow all the other boats around a circuit of attractions. If we had waited half an hour or left earlier we would have had the places to our selves which would have added a great deal to the experience. They also didn’t explain where we were or anything about the areas we were visiting, not sure if this was due to their English skills but if so they should have a book or a map on the boat they could point to our location. They took us to a beautiful beach for lunch. After lunch they said it was time to go and we asked if we could stay longer but they said we had to get on which was fine except the reason we had to leave was so the staff could go to Coron town to do their shopping! In the tour notes it said we would visit the town for half an hour, we were still waiting there to go back to our accommodation 2 hours later. There was nothing to do and we were getting very hot and tired. We asked a number of times to leave and nothing happened until I got quite angry with them (unlike me!). Very frustrating!! We noticed that the staff improved once Maggie the owner came back to the island. Overall, I think there would be better places to stay in the area for similar price but it is ok if you don’t mind being hot, being bitten by mosquitoes and waiting for hours so the staff can have their leisure time. I think there is something fishy going on with the other reviews.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Peach_Peach_Peach
MajieCoron_Palawan, Owner at Majika's Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2012

Hi Peach,

We are delighted that you had a chance to visit our country. We sincerely apologize for our shortcomings regarding our staff and any disappointment that may have inconvenienced you during your stay with us. However, we feel utterly insulted by your insinuation that our reviews are “manufactured.”

Out of their own free will, these reviews are given by our guests from all over the world who want to share their experience and give advise to their fellow tripad members. In no way do we manipulate them to write their reviews. Some of the comments that you gave are incredible. We are located in front of a protected Marine Park where a coral reef and mangrove forest exist. Mangroves are essential for marine life to live and thrive. It is outright misleading to say that our place is a swamp.

Our cottages are fully screened. As such, no insects will get in unless the guests leave the cottages’ door ajar carelessly. They are fan cooled as stated beforehand. During summer ( April/May) in the Philippines like anywhere in the world can sometimes be punishing because we are a tropical country.

Sincerely yours,
Majie Palanca
Resort owner

Reviewed April 22, 2012

It was the first time for us to go to Busuanga and we were definitely not disappointed. Majika resort simply blew us away. This is the place to go when you want to relax. To feel at peace and to unwind. This is the place to stay if you desire a family experience. The island is so quiet, so peaceful and beautiful. The staff was great and made one feel as if we were part of the Majika family. The few days we spent there were some of the best days ever. The tours were well worth it, from the hidden hot spring to the lake, even just simply snorkeling and diving.

What really made an impact to me was the fact that Majika resort strives to maintain the balance between man and nature. The place is so clean and natural. The beauty of nature well respected. Even the lodgings are not garish but rather simply made to emphasize and not take away the focus on the island and nature itself.

I also experienced a wonderful hillside sunrise. It was well worth the climb to the top, to bask in the sunlight as it greets the earth. One thing I will definitely miss is the silence of the place. it seemed so respectful of the place....i felt so....relaxed and calm unlike how I normally am in Manila...

I definitely will come back with my wife to Majika Resort. Ate Maj and her staff made us be one of the family and not simply guests. That hospitality and passion is something that cannot be found everywhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank JowgsAlbert
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Coron was our first stop in our 3 week trek through the Philippines and we're glad Majika's resort was a part of our trip. We will never forget the warm hospitality, friendly staff, delicious food, and the tour guides who took us to the best spots. There's no internet, no tv, and the cottage is pretty bare bones but clean so if you're looking for time away from the city, this is a great place to do it. Oh and if you ask how far the drive is to the dock from the airport, if they say 5 min, it's actually 45 minutes. I don't know why they said 5 min but we had a chuckle about it anyway. Thank you for making our stay in Coron a pleasant one!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Jeannine A
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My family and a group of friends had just spent Holy Week at this resort. This was my family's third time to Busuanga and we wanted something different. We found this resort through the net, contacted them and got very good rates for a 5D/4N stay. The owner and her staff were very warm, courteous, attentive, helpful and just simply took good care of us. They offer free tours with the package but you can customize your tours with very reasonable add on rates.The rooms are simple but ample, no airconditioning so those who can't do without this, be warned. It was pleasant to listen to different bird sounds from our room throughout the day. The hill and its climb was a challenge but the view you get from the top is something else. I would definitely recommend this resort and stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank chantal55_12
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Me and my wife and my 3 kids (11, 12 and 14) just spent 5D/4N at the beautiful island resort. We had wanted to spend time together as a family away from the hustle bustle of the city and start searching for an island resort and thus selected Majika resort after reading all the reviews both good and bad.
I must admit we were quite skeptical initially as we were required to fork out half the trip cost as deposit upon booking and then the balance half 1 week before the actual date. However, our worries turned out to be unfounded as Majika is really genuine.
We were picked up punctually from the airport and then whisked away in a van to a jetty from where we were transferred onto a boat to the island. All in, it took about an hour's journey and was not as long as we had feared.
It was an adventure really from the time we landed at the airport until the time we departed. Just sitting on the boat and looking at the beautiful blue sea and the many surrounding islands got our spirits lifted and my kids really enjoy the blowing sea breeze and splashes on their faces.
We did snorkelling at the coral garden and even scuba diving at a WWII japanese shipwreck. The colourful corals and fishes certainly filled us with joy having the opportunity to view such beauty close-up!
A hike up the hill is a must-try. The great view from the top of the hill more then make up for the tiring legs. We were also brought to Lake Kayangan (twin lagoon) and the natural surroungings and scenery were fantastic. The experience at the hot springs was really unique and soothing after overcoming the initial surprise that it was hidden inside a mangrove swamp. What a surprise!
My kids wanted to fish and they arranged for it too and even though we only managed to get only about 10 fishes, we thoroughly enjoyed the activity.
They have kayaks at their beach front which you can use. So my kids tried kayaking and it was quite easy to master.
Fearing that our kids might not like their food, we had brought instant noodles just in case. Turns out their home cooked food was really delicious and we thoroughly enjoyed all their local dishes especially the Chicken Abubo and the fresh seafood lke fishes, squids and crabs. Simple but delicious dishes.Thanks Chef Ricky for the delicious food and also the Turon desert. Can't get enough of them! All of us actually put on about 1 to 2 kg each during the trip.
Never had a chance to meet the owner but all of their staff are so friendly, warm and helpful that we felt so comfortable and at home. I had read some of the reviews of some rude staff but after experiencing myself their kind hospitality, I guess these guests must have been extremely obnoxious to invoke any rudeness from anyone of the staff.
Me and my wife would like to take this opportunity also to express our heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all the staff of Majika of which only some names we can remember: the manager Ms Tin, Met and her husband, Abun, Jomel, JR, Aunty Maji, divemaster Malone........sorry can't remember all.
To thorughly enjoy the Majika Island Resort, please bear in mind this is a secluded private island where you get away from the city comforts of aircon, heaters, internet connection, mobile reception, electronic gadgets and games, etc.
Majika Island Resort is no 4 star hotel with all the amenities but that's what makes it so alluring, down to earth simple, basic, unspoilt, beautiful and peaceful. This is as close as you can get to nature itself!
What more can you ask for???
This heavenly place is definitely not for those people who wants 4 star amenities and comfort.
But for me and my family, Majika Island Resort is the place for us!
Hope to be back!
Thanks Majika!

Room Tip: Cottage no 6, 7 and 8 are quiet and sufficently distanced from the lobby noise
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family