Black Rock Lodge
$194
Rumors Resort(San Ignacio)
$85
$83
Gaia Riverlodge(Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve)
$189
Venus Hotel(San Ignacio)
$57
$55
Travelocity
Clarissa Falls Resort(San Jose Succotz)
TripAdvisor
Mariposa Jungle Lodge(San Antonio)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Tropicool Hotel(San Ignacio)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,025 results
All reviewsother guestsmacal riveron sitenight hikebird watchingfamily stylevaca fallshorseback ridingrope swingdeluxe cabincommunal diningremote locationcanoe tripacross the riveratm cavejurassic parkbumpy dirt road
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had such a great time at Black Rock Lodge that I just had to go back again! They were fully booked so I couldn't extend to a second night, but I did other things in Belize and came back for another stay in the natural splendor. And by the way, splendor is not an exaggeration. Not at all. The location is pretty isolated, but well worth the drive. (A vehicle with high clearance recommended! You'll have fun on the 4-wheel drive sections, but I highly recommend you plan your arrive to make the trip in the daylight.) You'll find absolute peace in this beautiful location, delicious food, fascinating wine selection, absolutely the best staff (hands down), and fun activites that you'll definitely want to write home about. This lodge was built to be as eco-friendly as possible, so in your orientation, you're told not to run you hairdryer. Guess why? They produce their own electricity! Can you imagine? Ask the manager about the electricity or the water quality and you'll get a great story. Hiking shoes and a flashlight are a must because you'll definitely want to take the night hike to see some of the animals that are shy during the day. Your cabin with en suite is basic, but has everything you need. You can get internet connection in the open-air diningroom with killer view, but it's so beautiful there, you'll find yourself stowing your iPad in favor of enjoying the most pristine environment many of us have ever seen. All I can say, is go! Just do it. Go.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you want to go to a secluded lodge then this is your place. San Ignacio the city doesn't have much to offer so don't feel like you are missing out.
The grounds are beautiful and very peaceful. Staff go out of their way to assist you.
Lodgings are comfortable but not luxurious. This is billed as an eco lodge.
Meals are tasty but can get a little pricey since you can't really go off grounds to eat.
The lodge is remote and you must take a dirt road to get there. Be aware that leaving the lodge requires at least a $40 taxi ride r/t to explore the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank drabiner
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my favorite place we stayed at while in Belize. Location is a bit out there from San Ignacio but when you want to get away from people this is the place to go. The staff is very friendly and helpful with any thing you need. The cabins are great, separate from each other and makes you feel like you are in the jungle by yourself. The food that was served at the meals was fantastic and very filling. Great location with hiking, river tubing, canoes and horseback riding all available. I wished we had stayed a bit longer than two nights at this place!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and my 12 year old son stayed here for three nights. Everything was great. I have celiac and cannot have even trace amounts of gluten and can't have dairy either. It is very easy to have food cross contaminated. It never happened here. Virginia and her friend who were serving worked closely with the kitchen, took notes, and took great care of me. I can't thank them enough. We later stayed at Tranquility Bay, a place that costs us twice as much, and I had gluten poisoning there. Giovanni was very efficient and on top of the details of what everyone was doing with various activities. Isaiah took me and my son along with another guest on a horseback ride. The other guest was very timid, and my son wanted to trot and canter, but didn't have experience. He managed to keep everyone safe and happy. He was very kind and thoughtful. We tubed on the river and Elvis and Carlos were on the shore at the end, waving and encouraging and making sure we made it to shore safely. The place is beautiful and peaceful. The staff were the best and I hope they are paid well as they deserve it! My two small suggestions are to add bedside tables and more light to read by. I wouldn't change anything else. I would strongly suggest that you rent a car. It is a very easy drive from the airport. The dirt road at the end was better than a lot of back roads you would find on our country. The ride on the dirt road is lovely, past farms and orchards. We drove in one night to San Igancio for dinner, just because we liked the drive so much. It was pretty at sunset and we had not trouble driving back at night. Although the rental isn't cheap, it saves a lot of money on separate tours that you might do to caves or Mayan sites. With the car we packed in a lot of great activities. Giovanni will lend you a map. On Saturday morning, for instance, we went to the central outdoor market. It was festive and lots of fun. People there do not try to take advantage of gullible tourists. We got the same prices as everyone else and very polite treatment. We really liked San Ignacio. It's a very nice town. We ate dinner two nihgts at the lodge. I know a lot of people complained about the cost, but honestly, it was $22 including appetizer and dessert and lots of fresh lemonade. You sit at tables with other guests. We met interesting people and enjoyed the dinner table conversation very much. It was a nice way to meet other guests and exchange information. Last thing, don't miss the Botanical Garden at Duplooys and especially the medicinal trail there. Have fun - we did!
PS. We had cabin 6 and loved it. 4 and 5 looked great too.

Room Tip: We liked cabanas 4,5 and 6
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Certainly off the beaten path...one has to mix in at this very informal hotel/lodge. The jungle walks were good and the birding made it very special for us. There are some un-touristy Mayan temples around which are a must.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple