El Guacamayo Camp Ground
  • Breakfast included
Ka'ana Resort(San Ignacio)
$224
$194
Clarissa Falls Resort(San Jose Succotz)
$102
$90
  • Pool
San Ignacio Resort Hotel(San Ignacio)
$145
Venus Hotel(San Ignacio)
$47
$46
  • Restaurant
Tropicool Hotel(San Ignacio)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Mariposa Jungle Lodge(San Antonio)
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I hesitate to write a review for El Guacamayo because I think it could easily ruin what makes this place so great.
We stayed in a tent, but the cabanas looked very nice. Larry, David, and Julia are truly good people who treat as though you are guests in their home rather than campers on their property. The grounds are covered by large mango, banana, and coconut trees and there is a large patch of pineapple bushes. Excellent views of the surrounding areas are provided by a steep 168 or so steps to a river crossing. The 'adventurous' ride back to town takes a bit of time, but is a magnificent one if you enjoy the countryside and don't mind getting stuck behind a herd of Brahman cattle.
El Guacamayo is not a good place for loud partying or a quick and convenient spot to crash between adventure tours. It is an excellent place, however, for relaxation and contemplation miles away from the closest t-shirt shop, and an incredible meal with friendly conversation.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mcgaffinsm
Reviewed June 25, 2010

#1 best bed on my whole stay in Belize. The food was fantastic and their hospitality was memorable. Truly a unique trip - LOVED THE FIREFLIES
THANKS

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I was sold on the beaches of Belize. I can enjoy the forest and hikes, but they are not my cup of tea. I always thought, that I prefer water and sand. Two weeks in Belize, I consider the three days that I spent in the mountains with David and company to be the most worthwhile and best time spent in Belize. The land is amazing and the food is unbeatable. But, the best part is to spend time with a beautiful Belizian resident that is dedicated to his country and making you comfortable. Take note, though. David somehow exposes you to the country and it's most memorable residents while giving cave tours and explaining trees/birds/flowers/customs/culture/history in an intimate and heartbreaking way. I was not the same when I left. The experience is not for the pampered or closed. If you want to be privy to the culture and kindness; forget agendas, believe in the goodness of man,,David Simpson is the start and finish.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank leahgogo
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I went to El Guacamayo with a couple of friends last week, and based on the extremely reasonable price, expected to be "roughing it" in a little hut with hole in the ground for a bathroom. But we were blown away when we arrived and saw how beautiful not only the landscape was, but also by the accommodations! The rooms are incredibly clean and nicely furnished, and the bathroom (separate from the rooms) was also very well kept. If you are a light sleeper bring earplugs--if there are other guests you will hear every word since there is no ceiling (just one tall shared roof over 4 rooms).

David, the one who mans the office in San Ignacio, and Larry, the one who brought us out to the property, are wonderful hosts and are very knowledgeable and passionate about the place (as is Tasha the Doberman). We got a pre-dinner tour of the lush grounds, exploring the unexcavated ruins and organic fruit plants.

The meals are phenomenal! Julia cooks up a feast in her kitchen: for dinner we had chicken, rice beans, fresh tortillas, salad and home grown avocado. You won't get seconds but you won't need them...portions are hefty even for a big eater like me! Breakfast was bacon, eggs, fresh pineapple, mango, papaya (again, all grown on site) fry jacks with homemade mango jam. AMAZING.

Larry woke us up very early at our request so that we can watch baby toucans get fed. We also saw many hummingbirds and butterflies.

If you go, just be sure to also take a flashlight to have on hand for mid-night bathroom runs!

I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone who wants a night (or more!) of peace and quiet in the "middle of nowhere" which nothing but jungle sounds to put you to sleep and wake you up.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2009

El Guacamayo is a truly unique experience. Larry has set up an amazing 21st century lodge, where one is able to appreciate and enjoy the great outdoors while still having the benefit of solar-powered electricity and clean, drinkable running water.

The value cannot be beaten. The price includes breakfast, lunch and dinner (assuming that you aren't off on an adventure during mealtime), which are prepared by Julia, Larry's business partner's wife. Julia's Guatemalan cuisine is fantastic, she does all her cooking over an open fire, and makes fresh tortillas for every meal. Most of the fruits and vegetables that are served are grown organically right there at El Guacamayo. The food that my wife and I enjoyed there was the best food that we had in all of Belize. The value also included MANY free rides to and from San Ignacio, as well as a final drop-off at the Guatemalan border.

Larry is a fantastic host. He has many enjoyable stories to tell, about Belize, about his life, and he is very friendly and open. He makes a very earnest effort to ensure that his guests' needs are provided for. For our visit, which happened to fall on my birthday, he went above and beyond the call of duty by actually going to town and procuring a birthday cake for me (at my wife's request). One can only imagine my happy surprise at actually getting a birthday cake all the way out in the jungle! What a treat.

There is a beautiful river just down the hill from the camp, it is clear and clean and refreshing, excellent for swimming or canoing. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the river.

Of course, the wildlife is amazing. I have never, ever seen fireflies like I did at El Guacamayo, and may never again. It was like a field of fairies. Remarkable.

The ONLY problem with El Guacamayo is that it is HOT there, REALLY HOT, and when we were there Larry did not have fans for the rooms (he may have rectified this by now). Without fans, sleeping is hard. Really hard. Really, really hard. It's just very hot there. Hopefully, Larry will get some fans for the rooms and this one unfortunate defect of the experience will be rectified!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple