Open today: 6:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Big Sky Adventures Deliver Again!

Our second time on the trail. Just on 12 months from the first time. Have ridden several of the... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
CharlieD1037
Big Sky adventure

Many thanks to Big Sky for organising our trip along the Otago Rail trail. Excellent accommodation... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago

from $128.41
from $128.41
from $32.43
1,065 results
All reviews tiger hill days cycling side trips cycle surgery st bathans head wind hayes engineering easy ride great accommodation clutha gold cycle trip highest point hired bikes e bikes bucket list great ride autumn colours
Selected filters
Reviewed January 21, 2020

This is a great holiday experience for all ages young or old. Highly recommend using Cycle Surgery as they are so helpful and attend to all the details.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

As a family of four, we had GREAT time. If you haven't cycled this yet, do it! Lovely scenery, easy grade of riding, lots of places to stop along the way if you want, great places to stay on the trail. A v well-maintained trail. We went with SheBikesHeBikes on rec of many friends and had a marvelous experience, they took care of everything for us - bikes, accommodations, rec places to eat, moved our bags each night, etc. Can't wait to cycle this trail again.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

We went on the trail over the new year, and everything was perfectly organised by Big Sky - bikes, accommodation, dinner reservations, shuttles as required, extra scenic train ride to Dunedin, even curling at Naseby (an organisational challenge).

It was good cycling for us, quite calm and little rain during the day. :) We do commuter cycling in Auckland, so by comparison found the track easy, barely any hills to speak of (we went the Clyde to Middlemarch route). Previously we were concerned about bumpy gravel, but found in actuality that there were generally smoother car tracks to cycle in.
The only difficult day was after a heavy rain over night which turned the track into a choice between gravel or a sucky mud that took 5-10kph off our speed. Hooray the rain had stopped and there was no wind to speak of!

We stopped off and did most of the little side walks, so enjoyed seeing the old miner huts and the surprising Taieri river tunnel (build independently of the road tunnel).
I also loved visiting the historic places preserved Hayes Engineering Works and Homestead. The Works are amazingly preserved, everything in working order, together with some farm buildings; and the Homestead as if the family just tidied up majorly and walked out the door. Well presented explanatory material is given too.

The only negative is that ideally we would have just cycled smoothly from accommodation to accommodation, but this was not realised because we were too late to get accommodation right next to the trail. So for some accommodation we needed to catch shuttles. Unfortunately this added some psychological time pressure, even though plenty of time was allocated by the organisers.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

I am not a 'serious' cyclist, however this is a trip that I had wanted to do since it opened.As I would be doing the trail alone, I booked with 'Shebikeshebikes' for expert advice and support....and I received both. Great people, very patient with my nerves when planning and helpful advice before the trip. I was provided with a good bike, panniers and ...a gel bike seat. The accommodation on the trail was always clean, comfortable and very welcome each evening.
A railway incline is never very steep and the trail was well cared for, even so. the first two uphill days were a challenge for my legs and I wondered about Day 3, when I would be cycling over 40kms......Day 2 took 7 hours, Day 3 took 3.5 hours...I forgot that the kms were then downhill.......Wheee!
The best thing about the trail itself was being able to cycle without worrying about vehicular traffic, even though the road was never far away. So the scenery, history and fresh air was mine to enjoy car-free.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed January 13, 2020

We used Cycle Surgery to complete our 4 day cycle of the Central Otago Rail Trail and we were not disappointed in any way. Everything went to plan with company being amazing in all ways.