NRMA Murramarang Beachfront Holiday Resort
  • Pool
Lakesea Park(South Durras)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsnational parkkids clubocean spabeach frontforest villabatemans baybeautiful locationtake awayfamily holidayschool holidaysgreat for kidsextended familybeachfront cabinmogo zoocamping arealovely beachfriendly kangaroos
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Dirty and tired. Beds not made up. Had to fetch own linen from reception and make own beds. Light bulbs needed replacing. The only redeeming feature was the position - right on the beach. But even that could not entice us to stay. We had booked through the Info centre and the very helpful lady at the info centre helped to find us alternate, very comfortable and CLEAN accommodation at the BIG4 just down the road.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We only stayed one night, but were overall quite happy with it.

We weren't aware of the bore water until we checked in, but reception provided us with 3 litres of water and told us we could get more if needed. We stayed in a forest cabin and it was very nice, clean and modern. Because it is eco-friendly, we couldn't walk directly from the car space to the cabin which was a bit of a pain considering we had a lot of baby gear to cart to the cabin.

Our cabin had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and a nice large wall mounted LCD telly. Plenty of storage space for luggage. The kitchen was small, but we didn't really do any cooking anyway. We had pizza from the takeaway on site which was delicious.

Showering was rather gross, due to the bore water. It was brown and very salty and you could not even get a lather with soap. I used my regular face cleanser and ended up with a rash on my face for a few days, I gather from it mixing with salt water. Luckily it didn't hurt or itch...

The location of the resort is beautiful. The beach is nice and clean, the cabins are set amongst trees or along the beachfront with kangaroos quite at home among them. We also had a possum come to visit during the night and he nearly got in because I'd left the door open while taking a photo.

I would love to go back again, but the bore water is the main detractor (that's given in less one spot in the service rating). Great place for families.

Reviewed April 11, 2009

After looking at some brochures for the resort I was looking forward to our stay - I wish I had only read some of these reviews first! The first cabin we checked into was dirty (old towels and ash tray on the floor), but we were quickly checked into a clean cabin. The location was fantastic and we loved being so close to the beach. The cabin (or villa) had basic facilities and we were provided with some bottled water as the tap water is rather saline. I'm not sure why this is called an ecoresort as it seems to be very similar to other holiday parks I've stayed at. Overall we were happy enough with the resort - but did not feel we got value for our money.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2009

First they cancelled my booking without notifying me after receiving my deposit. They requested payment in full on arrival. The room was nothing like the pictures on the internet. The room was dirty. The kitchen and bathroom sinks were filthy. The carpet and lounge had stains all over them. The crockery and cutlery were still dirty from the last users, complete with crumbs. The bedding had stains that could have been laundered out. When checking in they advised the restuarant was closed on Saturday night, did not advise this at time of booking. The water is swamp bore water, not treated and salty, just terrible. They give you two bottle of drinking water for your entire stay. Had four other couples book with us at the same time, they all had similar horror stories. Staff were rude and uncaring and blamed the high turnover of staff and expected our sympahy? I can't believe they call themseleves a resort??? Do not go there!!!!

Reviewed March 8, 2009

We've been regular visitors to Murramarang over the last 5-6 years and it has been getting worse and worse, especially if you are a camper. The amenities these days are terrible and run down, the bore water is dark brown and salty. Showering is a waste of time, you may aswell just swim in the surf it's so salty. I compared the water to a Service Station up the road and their bore water was crystal clear(and it was the Service Stations toilet water!) The septic smell is usually constant, though some times overpowering, especially near the pool. Not nice when you are chowing down on dinner or a snack from the takeaway. They are forced to squeeze in more and more campsites(taking away play areas) to make up for the required percentage of cabin to camping quote required in the National Park.

The restaurant is nice, though a little over priced. The takeaway is pretty good, and has improved over the last few years, now at least their pizza's are made fresh. The pool bar is over priced as expected, though during the holidays, I'm normally happy to pay for a beer by the pool. The entertainment is certainly nothing like it was in the past when they ran the annoying glitzy ads on TV, though is passable for a lazy evening sitting by the pool having a few drinks. The kids always like the karaoke nights and the staff that run it seem to enjoy it aswell.

The playground is falling apart, all they do in kids club is run up and down the club house (not alot of fun for a small girl). Once upon a time they did arts and craft and a variety of things for kids all ages. Campers now also have to pay for Kids Club.

Don't get a cabin or a campsite near the pool, as some nights the noise can be heard clearly until after midnight (especially if they are holding a wedding).

Why do we still go? We live in hope that it will get a magical renovation! Though we're looking for somewhere else just as magical all the time. The positives currently outweigh the negatives in my book.

The area itself is perfect. The two connecting beaches are normally clean and stinger free. The bush walking is fantasic as you search for hidden beaches. Mountain biking on the fire trails is alot of fun. The surfing isn't fantastic for the pro's but good enough for others, though around near the island, is a secret spot for those daring enough to take on the rocks and the locals when there is a good swell. The snorkling is great on clear crisp days.

I was told things may improve if one of the owners is able to sell their share, though they have been saying that for two years.