“Fabulous!”

Carara National Park
Ranked #4 of 13 things to do in Tarcoles
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Without Carlos Zuniga it would have only been a hike. He was a great guide with his huge telescope and a very interesting person. The birds are beautiful and his enthusiasm is contagious. The big blue Parrot was beautiful. He was very interesting and also curious about where we come from (the currently frozen tundra of the Midwestern USA). I have also been to Manuel Antonio and this beats it by far. Thank you Carlos!

Marcy B

3  Thank Marcy B

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Our Family of Six just returned from a 12 day vacation in Costa Rica. Carara national Park is a real and unspoiled park. If you want to be overrun with people go the Manuel Antonio, if you want to see the real Costa Rica take a guided excursion. We saw many sites but it was not till we used certified animal spotter Maurice Vasquez, The most observant person I have ever met, did we really experience all that Costa Rica has to offer. It is now my opinion that after visiting the country twice before, that you are just spinning your wheels if you don't hire a guide to take you into the Jungle. The jungle is simply teaming with life but the problem is with out someone like Maurice to point out what is right in front of your nose you will simply miss the boat. I look at it this way, you have spent thousand of dollars, euros etc. to make this trip, what it the point of skimping when it really counts.
On our trip to Carara we spotted Scarlet McCaws nesting in a dead tree. Once we hit the park we saw numerous bats, birds, white faced Monkeys, Lizards, insects, butterflies, poison dart frogs, deer, and several more McCaws. Keep in mind we saw all of this with our 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old kids with us. On a 2 hours very easy walk we hardly needed to get off the main path and it was all right there you just need to know where to look. We went during the dry season so the trails were very easy to navigate.
After spending some time talking to Maurice I realized that he speaks Spanish, English, French and German. He was recommended to us by a family member and it is funny because
after seeing the sites for a couple days with him, I feel like I have a friend in Costa Rica now.
I am sure that there are more guides that will show you the sites of Carara and Manuel Antonio national Parks but I would not trust my trip to any one else but Mauricio Vazquez Pizarro. If you want to give him a chance to make the most out of your vacation, email him at mauriciovp@hotmail.com, I hope he does not mind I just gave out his Info, but there it is.
Thanks for Reading

3  Thank Traveltolive2000
Reviewed January 10, 2014

You basically pay $10 each for a walk in the woods with a chance to see animals that may or may not be high in the trees. If you have limited time, give it a miss. If you want to see everything, thne go for it.

1  Thank Robert L
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We took guided hikes both here and in Manuel Antonio. Carara National Park seemed to be more "real" with a lot fewer visitors. On the day we went, we ran into only about six or eight other people there. The wildlife in Carara was harder to spot (get yourself a good guide!) but was more in a natural state ... unlike the raccoons and Capuchin monkeys in Manuel Antonio who would come try to steal your food. For those like me who are used to city zoos, it gives a much better idea of what the real world is like.

2  Thank David0514
Reviewed January 6, 2014

It is a wonderful park. Not too many tourists, lots of birds, agoutis and coatis.
You can either park near the rangers or at the start of the most popular trail where someone will guard your car for 4$.

2  Thank Chocolate74