“Very pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wild Grass Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kaziranga National Park
Wild Grass Lodge
Udaipur, India
“Very pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

A very laidback attitude of senior staff hides the effective functioning of the place.The central area which includes the dining area has an aura of the colonial past without the formalities.The food is excellent with big helpings at a very low price which makes it so much more comfortable for the tourist.The game drives effortlessly arranged with good drivers and naturalists.The service staff makes the stay very pleasant with smiling faces and eager to please even under pressure of work as the place is very busy.I would surely stay again if possible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Guwahati, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

My knowledge of this lodge ranges over a period of 10 years or more.I used to come here with my parents as a kid, and was there in the month of Dec 2012 with a friend of mine.It has always been known for the serene and calm surroundings as well as excellent hospitality. They also provide some of the best Assamese cuisine. They did live up to our expectations this time as well.

One of the most important issues while visiting any wildlife hub is to get the best guides..the guides here are mainly the local people who know the Wild life sanctuary very well. For all the photography and wildlife enthusiast..this is the place which will provide you some of the best guides, and others who just want to spend some quiet time this is definitely the place to be...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DrManishgoswami
cape town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

There is no other lodge in east India as famous as the Wildgrass of Kaziranga NP. The place has a beautiful and peaceful ambiance. The rooms are well lit and cozy. The staff are used to tourists and have been in the job since decades. The food is simple and good. The location of the property is serene.The place feel very old and charming. Definitely the best place to stay if you're in Kaziranga NP.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bonginmove
Pune
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

It wasn't a very difficult decision to choose the Lodge as so many people have already said! Extremely reliable and solid service levels characterize the Wild Grass staff. right from reservations, check-in, Restaurant, House Keeping and Naturalist / Guides, all know thier job very well. Location is also great as being in the centre it has got easy access to all three zones of the park.

To be frank its not the most luxurious of properties, but rooms are good sized and clean and well kept, gardens huge and the restaurant is quite the star of the property. Rooms are in large building blocks and the one right in front of the restaurant looks newer. In some rooms people on lower floors may hear people walking on the wooden floors above.

We booked on Full board and the food they provided was excellent, Local delicacies on most days and some Chinese and Continental thrown in for a few meals. Its not a buffet but there's loads and loads of food served! Limited alcoholic beverages available for purchase. Service staff may not appear overly smiling and friendly, but they are very efficient and nothing is too much trouble.

The Safaris can solely be the reason to choose them. They have a great bunch of drivers / guides who are experienced and know their stuff really well. We though had a bit of a mixed experience. Our guide Gokul was excellent, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and friendly and he took care of our Safaris exceedingly well. The driver provided to one of our two Gypsies though was relatively new and inexperienced and we had to struggle alot with him, mind you he was very polite and helpful, just that he had no idea of how to drive on a safari. Without our guide though we could have been in a bit of trouble, but we ended up with fantastic overall sightings including the elusive Tiger.

Overall their arrangements are spot on and hands down they are the most experienced lot in Kaziranga. The lodge and its highly respected owners having been around for a number of years, they are well respected in the park as well and it shows!!

If you can do without top-end luxury, this is the place to be in Kaziranga!

Room Tip: Higher Floors, so you may not hear people walking above you!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We spent 2 days at Wild Grass over the weekend and had a great time. set in very quiet surroundings, the rooms were ok, but what stand out is the team of the hotel, always polite and wiling to help with a shy smile. the food was great. our Naturalist Tarun Was super, and ensure we saw the rhino. elephant, eastern swapm deer, wild buffalos and the elsusive tiger. all in all a great trip. we will return

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GopalV
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is one of the original tourist lodges near Kaziranga, operated in a conservation minded way, and set up to meet the needs of travelers. While it is not luxurious, it is well maintained, clean, and reasonably comfortable. (Though I do recommend earplugs so you are not bothered by those above your room or the "cultural presentations" outside the room in the evenings.)

I arrived quite ill and asked for special meals the first few meals of my stay. They provided me with plain rice and a potato/banana mixture that helped get me on my feet again. After I could eat normally, the food was good. Waitstaff were always attentive.

The room was clean with hot water - electricity is off and on in this area but they do have a generator. Bring a flashlight. The only annoyance I had was the room key was a challenge and it took several minutes to make it work - twice I had to go get staff to assist as I could not get into the room. A minor hassle.

The most important thing to me was the wildlife viewing in Kaziranga. I was assigned an excellent guide and driver, who also arranged the elephant rides for me. The morning elephant rides are fantastic and I highly recommend them if you can stomach the fact that these elephants are in captivity and theior training was probably not one we would wish on any animal. I never saw any mistreated by park staff or mahouts here, and I think the cruelty was largely in the past, and whether we like it or not these elephants will remain in captivity not only for tourist rides but more importantly to assist the rangers in park management issues, such as chasing rouge wildlife back into the park, etc. If you can accept riding "domestic elephants," you get fantastically close to rhino and it is absolutely a gorgeous hour long excursion. Unlike other parks, you do it before the morning game drive here so you don't have to give up a game drive for a ride. Fabulous, unforgettable experience.

The game drives were very nice and there are three sections of the park to see, so allow at least 3-4 game drives to see them all. For whatever reason, they do not limit the number of tourist cars here so I strongly advise you to go during the week when cars are minimal. I visited in early March and it was the perfect time to see animals per my guide, as the grass (other than some elephant grass) was not too high, visibility and weather were good, no crowds. My guide (Jintu) spoke perfect English and was very knowledgeable about the park, all animals, and all conservation/wildlife issues and able to answer all my questions.

Overall, would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DAEsmae
Monmouth, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Thanks to all at Wild Grass for our wonderful stay there - for your warm Assamese hospitality and all your tremendous help before and during our stay! The accommodations and atmosphere (a bungalow and village feel), the craftsmanship, the food (with thoughtful extras), the evening dances of the Assamese women and Tea Pickers (beautiful and exciting), the people (taking a real interest in us in order to help out), the location in the lovely village and among all the botanically labeled trees - all were so very, very, very good. I become emotional when I think of it and hope to go back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good because of the way it is arranged. The unusual looking buildings are...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
#2 of 10 in Kaziranga National Park
Camp Rhino
Camp Rhino
#17 of 25 in Kaziranga National Park

Been to Wild Grass Lodge? Share your experiences!