“Homely Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tawang
Dolma Khangsar Guest House
Ranked #1 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Tawang
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed at this place for 2 nights. The guest house is well located , within a walking distance of the famous Tawang Monastry.

We were a little apprehensive initially as we had never before experienced a homestay. However, all our fears were unfounded!!! The rooms were cozy and decently furnished. Bathrooms were clean and with a hot water geyser. The view of early morning rising sun, from the room windows was simply breathtaking

Dolma and her family take good care of you. Hot, home cooked food was delicious. We tried some delicious and authentic vegetarian Arunachali cuisine including piping hot Thukpa.

Service was very courteous.If ever we visit Tawang again, we would definitely stay the same place!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MADHURKJAIN

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed with my family including my old parents in this guest house in October 2010. By the time we arrived at Tawang, it was very wet and chilly and night had fallen. Nothing was clear excepting for the moonlight. With great difficulty, we were able to locate this guest house and when we entered, we were not sure if the right choice was made

The owners were expecting us (on our account of prior booking) but due to our delay, they had given up hope. After that everything fell in place. They gave us a warm welcome, proivded us hot piping vegetarian food cooked with garden fresh vegetables and showed us to some very comfortable and cosy rooms.The hospitality was unmatchable

We realised the beauty of the location only in the morning since sunrise. We were awestruck by the beauty of this location. The guest house is on a slightly higher altitude compared to Tawang town just next to the Tawang Monastary. The rooms overlook the small town and the mountains beyond. The rooms may not be of a star category but were very comfortable, clean and cosy (wood panelled). There is a narrow balcony running in front of the rooms converging each room in terms of accesibility. This is specially comfortable for families. Tawang faces shortage of water and we faced it during one of the days we stayed there. However, best efforts were made to arrange for water from eslewhere and no inconvenience was caused to us

Accomodation options in Tawang are not many and this place is the best one can stay in (atleast, it was so in 2010). A special mention and appreciation goes to Tenzing, his wife and his parents. They were extremently helpful and honest. We became a family and they took great care of us. They made our stay memorable

We also made a trip to Zemithang through WWF and the experience was amazing too

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Trimon
Reviewed May 11, 2013

It has a nice location just next to the Tawang monastery. The rooms are really nice and spacious. The service is good, but only after you tell them that you want something. Food is okay and especially with the no slaughtering in Tawang it has become even more limited. Nice homely stay with a few hiccups

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stepping inside the guesthouse gate, we wondered if we had made the right choice, but once we met the people and were led to our room, all our doubts were dispelled. Many establishments impress with their decor, rooms size and amenities, creating good photo opportunities, but it's the people who weave memories, leaving a lasting impression, and that's what Dolma Khangsar is all about. Not that the rooms are small or shabby by any count, but that became irrelevant basking in the warmth of the people who own and run the place.

The guesthouse itself is a little away from town, but it's one of the things that make it special. They now have another establishment in the middle of town for those who want to be central. Anyway, this is the best place to stay in Tawang, hands down.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Revolver-Darjeeling
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Staying at Dolma Khangsar Guesthouse was the highlight of my trip to Arunachal Pradesh - indeed it was the highlight of my trip to the Northeast states. I was there in the winter of 2011 with friends and found this place by walking on the second day. We were the only guests. The guesthouse is run by a wonderful Monpa/Tibetan family (Dolma is the owner and is the mother and grandmother). They are all wonderful people and I consider them my friends even after only being there a week or so.

The guesthouse is located a very short taxi ride out of town, and right down the road from Tawang monastery. There is not much to see in Tawang town, so being a little outside of the town is not a bad thing at all - and much more peaceful. The rooms are comfortable and clean with great views (and televisions). There is an awesome hike you can do from the guesthouse to a Gompa and Anigompa to the northeast and then come back by another trail that crosses the creek/gorge below the guesthouse by bridge, so you don't have to retrace your steps.

If you want a warm, intimate experience with a great family - drinking chai and butter tea, being included in family meals, maybe even drinking a little chang and singing some songs, then this is the place for you. The family is also religious and it probably is not uncommon to see local monks performing puja at the Guesthouse (we did). Dolma even took care of me when I got sick (with a little help from vodka and a little worm).

I really can't recommend this place enough!!!

Ryan Hickel
Alaska

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Ryanhickel
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I highly recommend Dolma's Kangsar Guest House to anyone visiting Tawang! The food was delicious (I couldn't get enough momos and thukpa), the room was spacious and bright with a stunning view, Dolma's family was eager to share and talk, it's minutes from Tawang's gompa, and if you're up for a hike, the nunnery (ani gompa) is about an hour or so of hiking from the house. Their hospitality is something I will never forget and it still warms my heart reminiscing about it. It really was more like a homestay (as we were really the only visitors in Tawang in late Jan/early Feb), which is exactly what I was looking for.

The guest house is about a 20 minute (descending) walk into Tawang town center. They do not provide transportation to and from town, so getting there is on your own accord. I didn't mind the walk into town, as it took me through the winding streets, around the neighborhoods, and past billowing stupas. The walk 'home' in the evening was always nice, watching the sun set over the mountains while getting your heart rate up for the day.

As I said, I was there in late January and the first half of February 2012 and it was cold! Being from Alaska, I was prepared for the temperatures, but it was a little chilly at times in the guest house. I was constantly in my light down jacket, my long underwear and wool Ibex pants, with a shawl. Dinner is wonderful in their kitchen, with food and drink that warmed my body and soul.

Have a great trip into Arunachal Pradesh and Tawang! It is truly a magnificent part of our world.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank mizaliss

Been to Dolma Khangsar Guest House? Share your experiences!