“Fantastic Holiday!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Karesuvanto
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Holiday!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

It was a truly action-packed 4 night holiday. I stayed with my son and daughter in a 2 double bedroom aparment in Fell House which was fine. Food in the main hotel was OK but could have done with more fruit and veg. All the staff are fantastic, both indoor and outdoor staff. But the main thing was all the activities. They were all great fun - reindeer farm and reindeer sled, showshoe walk through the forest and especially especially husky sled driving (all included in the holiday). We opted for cross-country skiing (optional extra) which was brilliant but hard work and painful (after falling over so many times). But the highlight of the holiday was the 24-hour snowmobile trip. It was fantastic: we drove through the snow to our cabin in the middle of the forest, had a great meal cooked by the outdoor staff, chatted til midnight in the warmth of a log fire, watched the northern lights til 2:30 am, had eggs and bacon cooked on a log fire for breakfast and then a wonderful drive back on the snowmobiles to the hotel in the sunshine. I couldn't recommend it more.

Room Tip: Our 2 bedroom apartment in Fell House was great - warm, clean and airy. It was good to have the liv...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Greek first
Co Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights 24th-28th Feb in a cabin which was warm, cosy and clean although tea making facilties would have been nice. Sauna was used twice but had weather been colder would have been used a lot more. We were half board and nearly all the buffet meals were wholesome, filling and plentiful. We found all Transun staff to be friendly and professional with a special mention to Johnny and Mandy for their bubbly personalities.The temperatures during our stay ranged between 0 degrees and minus 6 which we were told was very unusual for Feb as it is usually a lot colder but it did make the excursions a lot more comfortable especially the nights spent up the hill waiting for the Northern Lights to appear. All excursions were well organised and very enjoyable with my favourite being the nightime trip across the frozen river on the snowmobiles managing 45mph on the journey back! We were lucky to see the Northern Lights on the last 2 nights which where memorable even though on the scale of 0-10 were apparently only a 2. We did take some alcoholic drinks from duty free with us as the hotel bar was a bit expensive 6Euro per pint and 5.50 E for a glass of wine in addition to snacks for lunch e.g. crisps & cereal bars. Could not believe how quiet the roads and surrounding area were especially the 2 hour trip to & from the airport but such a nice change to the hustle & bustle at home. You can easily walk down the hill to the local garage service station/ cafe where you could buy snacks, beer & small souveniers although a little further over the bridge into Sweden you will find the tourist information and a couple more supermarkets selling reindeer skins and a wider choice of goods. The suits and boots provided are very warm and clean but you still need your baselayers especially good gloves, I used a thin pair of inner liners with a good outer pair of mitts which kept my hands nice & warm. Flew from Newcastle with Polish airline Enter Air which was good, on time and you could buy limited drinks & snacks on board as no meals are included. We met some lovely people who were there mainly to catch a glimpse of the lights but who also accompanied us on our excusions as you usually travelled by minibus in small groups with the same people. Best holiday/experience yet and a beach holiday is boring in comparison do not hesitate to go.

Room Tip: Choose a cabin next to the main hotel
2 Thank ChristineSCoDurham
yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

17th-21st Feb. What a great Holiday we had at the Davvi. stayed in a cabin which was warm and clean and a minute walk to the Hotel for our meals. The food was basic but very nice . the staff could not do enough for you and you were always greeted with a cheery hello.all the Activities were fab especially the Huskys and all were very well organised. We met some great people Group H2 you know who you are and all got along famously. we were privelledged to see the lights on two nights and that was the icing on the cake.The thermal boots and suits were very warm and cosy. Read many negative reviews before we went but we had a Fantastic time. If shaun and liz read this sorry we never got to say goodbye bye!! it was great meeting you both and sharing some amazing experiences with you. Jane and linda hope you will forgive Neil (ha ha ) .would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and book a cabin, ours was fab with a sauna.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jazzyboo2
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Incredibly friendly staff, a sauna in our cabin, the most peaceful wilderness on our doorstep and the luck of seeing the lights every night.

Expect to be outdoors a lot of the time; the opportunity to do things is never ending. How often does one have the opportunity to drive a snow mobile on a frozen river in the middle of the night with the lights dancing above, or hang out with six of the most adorable huskies for hours? You'll be exhausted, but a late night sauna after star gazing (I saw three shooting stars in one night) in the super snug complimentary snow suit, followed by a drink in the bar speaking to some incredibly friendly and interesting fellow guests, you finish by climbing into the most comfortable bed in your toasty cabin. What's not to like?

The food was the only slightly disappointing factor, but that's not really the focus and we quickly realised that it's not an option to have fresh food deliveries every day. On arrival we asked the reception staff for wi-fi access; their reply was fantastic 'we're afraid not. We are in the Arctic.' I couldn't answer one work email the entire time we were there. If you ever need an excuse, this is the best of them.

On the transfer from Kiruna airport I was a little worried that the trip may be a little 'package-y', with a very sweet rep asking if we'd like to get involved in things, and having never been on a holiday with a 'rep' before, I wondered what was coming, but my fears were completely unfounded. After a brief talk in the Davvi that night, we were left make the most of what we wanted and chose to do.

Leaving Karesuvanto was a huge disappointment. You'll find it difficult to adjust back to the noise of city life at first. All the worries and stresses melted away and the wonders of nature shone for us.

I'd highly recommend the Davvi, but try to go around a full moon; it massively helps considering there's no light pollution and it's your guide for nighttime activities.

Room Tip: It's definitely worth getting a cabin with sauna over a hotel room.
2 Thank Steph H
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband surprised me in July 2012 with this 7 night holiday for my 50th Birthday in December. We checked out the reviews just before we went. Some negative reviews did make us wonder what we were heading to but decided to make up own mind once we were there. And we were not disappointed! The Davvi Arctic Lodge is in the middle of nowhere and just a 10 minute walk to the bridge that takes you over to Sweden. We stayed in a cabin that was so close to the hotel we didn't don our thermal suits to walk over there. It was literally a minutes walk! The cabin was basic and clean. The sauna very welcome after a trip in the cold weather. The weather wasn't too bed when were there - 13th-20th January. Minus 5 to Minus 18. It snowed once and it didn't feel really cold as there was no wind.
We had to travel to Gatwick the day before and also had to travel back the day after our holiday as no flights from Scotland. The flights back were delayed by a stop at East Midlands, where we had to disembark to go thru passport control and security again. Enter Air are a budget airline and the staff were polite. My husband and I are tall and felt cramped in our seats.
The food was basic but filling. Deserts were really good! We were half board and ate a few times in the hotel at lunchtime. The ham and cheese toastie was amazing! We ate at the garage/cafe down the bottom of the hill once and had a huge ham omelette! Lagers and wine at the hotel were both around 5 euros. Its cheaper to buy wine by the glass as they fill it right up to the top, whereas a bottle of wine was 25 euros. Being Scottish we like value for money!
We walked for miles around the area. As a keen photographer and lover of snow I was in my element with so many beautiful trees and landscapes to take photos of. The trips were all well organised apart from a blip on the last night when our snowmobile safari was moved to a later time. But the Transun rep organised for us to go earlier - thanks to Joe for taking us, especially the return trip thru the woods. Truly magical! The huskys, snowmobiles, snowshoes, cross country skiing were all fantastic! I was a bit dubious about the huskys at night but bit the bullet and had a go and although I had a little mishap I thoroughly enjoyed the exhilarating experience. Snowmobiling over the frozen lake was great! We got up to 45 miles an hour! And I have to say thanks to Tom for staying with me on the cross country skiing while my husband did 2 circuits to my one.
We saw the Northern Lights 3 times. The best night was on the last night when we had just returned from our snowmobile trip. A mass exodus out to the cabins and then up to the viewpoint with cameras, tripods etc. Mittens are better than gloves for taking photos. I had etip gloves with me which did nothing to keep my hands warm. You really have to know your way around your camera as you can't see a thing in the dark. The lights were truly spectacular!! The most amazing sight ever!! Standing there, with our new friends from the holiday, sharing the experience is something I will never forget! It was such an emotional night.
The only faults I can find were the cabin walls. You could clearly hear conversations thru the wall. And we took a travel kettle (as recommended in reviews) but found our milk froze outside on the step and there's no fridge. Our cabin had only a standing heater in the living/bed area so it did get a little chilly but this was maybe a godsend as others complained about having to open windows on their cabins as it was too hot!
All in all, a fantastic memorable holiday. Would love to return some day.

Room Tip: We chose a cabin - the sauna was great for heating yourself up after a day in the cold.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FionaG437
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

21st-24th Feb. Wowzers, that was an amazing holiday! You know how sometimes people say they have no complaints but then they do? Well we don't. We loved it all and feel very priviledged to have been. The staff were very friendly and fun, (thanks Corinna, Verity, Johnny, Boy Joe, Irish Joe ,Girl Jo, Mandy and everyone). We enjoyed chatting with other guests, our rooms were comfortable and the food was good. Loved the snowmobiles! So glad to have achieved the ambition of a lifetime and seen the Aurora. Go if you can!

6 Thank S and J C
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

21-24 Feb 2013 Having read a few of the not too glowing reviews the day before travelling, I wondered what we had let ourselves in for. I am not sure we went to the same hotel with the same tour company because our experience was all fantastic, starting right from the on time flight from Gatwick. The hotel staff were very friendly and informative, the trips fantastic, husky sledging truely memorable, reindeer sledging and skidooing at night will never be forgotten. The mini zoo, just along from the garage on the left well worth a visit at 5€. We were really fortunate that the Northern lights appeared with increasingly impressive displays on the three nights. This brought out great camaraderie amongst the guests who had never met before. " Is it a cloud no its a light" "I can see green" " Look over right" "no behind you" the ooohs and aahhs as the lights performed. A truely memorable holiday.

5 Thank J_and_J_12345

Been to Davvi Arctic Lodge? Share your experiences!