Billabong Gardens
The Urban Newtown(Newtown)(Great Value!)
$82
$78
Veriu Camperdown(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$151
$143
Cambridge Lodge Guest House(Stanmore)(Great Value!)
$61
$94
  • Breakfast included
Glebe Space(Sydney)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstravel costscar spacedouble ensuiteceiling fanlong term guestsking streetsecure parkingfresh towelsprivate bathroomtrain stationmin walknewtonsydneytransportratesroomy
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a nice hostel compared to a lot. But I found the staff to be extraordinarily rude for no reason over some interactions. Unreasonable, arrogant and eager to conflict and judge guests. However, the common areas of the place I found very pleasant and if you can swallow hard and accept all their petulant pedantic rules then it's a good spot and cheaper than most places.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Billabong G, Manager at Billabong Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Our apologies if we may have upset you with our 'pedantic rules' in asking to pay for your accommodation. However since you were behind in payment and we had asked you several times to pay the overdue bill to no avail, you may have experience us as persistent.
Also we had to ask you for payment for using the staff laundry facilities which were clearly marked not available for guest use. You ignored this sign on purpose in order to avoid payment on the coin operated laundry facilities.
We understand you curtailed your stay as you ran out of funds. We wish you happy travels and all the best in finding a more suitable accommodation befitting your requirements and circumstances.

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Billabong Gardens, Newtown

This hostel was very clean and well laid out, the rooms having individual lamps and plugs for each bed. However, although the staff were friendly enough when my friend and I stayed here we felt unwelcome, most people living here seem to be here long term and therefore seem to not want to speak to anyone just passing through, we have stayed in many hostels between us and have never encountered such an unfriendly bunch before! Another negative point that annoyed my friend and I was that in our mixed dorm room the ensuite did not have a bin which is pretty inconvenient for girls. The town itself was extremely boring, we thought being so close to the university there may be something happening each night but we were unfortunately wrong, the busiest place we seen on a Saturday night was the local coffee shop. If you are looking for some quiet alone time then I highly recommend but if you are looking for some fun, a bit of socialising and meeting new people, steer clear!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed for three nights in a double room with shared bathroom in the terrace house, away form the main hostel with dorms and rooms with own bathrooms. I stayed in a room upstairs with no common walls to other rooms, there were only two others opposite. The room was comfortable with a tele, a fan, the mattress was just ok, my bed linen smelt a little stale, but the walls really could have done with a clean, as well as the outside of my door and the power point station in my room, on the sides which I noticed plugging in my phone and computer, it was a bit yukky. Towels were quite old, but clean. The staff were very friendly, the kitchen in the terrace was kept very clean, even though people staying at times didn't show enough care. I was also told the bathrooms were cleaned over everyday, If they were the shower wasn't done, nor the buttons on top of the toilet, but it was clean enough.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms would be cooler in summer and you wouldn't have to lug your luggage upstairs, as the rooms in the terrace aren't airconditioned.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Great mix of hostel and hotel. Friendly staff, great location, very clean. Cheap weekly rates! Lots of different guests. It is not a huge place, so the atmosphere is very personal if you stay a while and get to know everyone. Newtown is the best area in Sydney!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Thank you for your hospitality your location was perfect for our requirements
Your welcoming & caring staff was appreciated..
We enjoyed our time at your place
Deep pool centrally located in the premises, secure parking
Suit self catering guests, close to lively Newton and RPA for appointments
Café & Dining a step away All shopping available.
Interesting walks through colonial streets.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business