“May 2013 - highly recommend this restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thanasis Place

Thanasis Place
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Kouklia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Live entertainment on Thursdays, Friday's and Saturdays.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“May 2013 - highly recommend this restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We first came to this lovely restaurant four years ago on a recommendation from friends who had just returned from staying in the same resort as we were going to. The owners are lovely and welcoming and we enjoyed several meals there on that visit. We chose to go back there for our first meal of this holiday and were made to feel very welcome once more. The food is delicious and plentiful and diners are treated to an "on the house" speciality starter to try different things. We chose to keep returning to this restaurant and tried several of the traditional dishes plus fish and kebabs. We did not try the meze as we weren't sure we would be able to eat it all! Most nights there were plenty of locals and holidays makers and large groups enjoying many different meals, including the meze.

Meals were followed by a complimentary plate of fresh fruit and some nuts.

We have only positive things to say about this restaurant and are somewhat surprised to read the recent reviews. Very good value and excellent service. We shall certainly be returning on our next visit to Cyprus.

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank Jennie U

• Greek first
“Friday cypriot nite - April 2013 - All pork "n" cheese.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

No booking made, we just turned up about 7.30pm and where seated. The place became pretty full shortly after.
My husband and I ordered a meat Mese from the Friday menu at eur 18.00 each. We were told we would not need a starter as the courses will be so filling- which was true.
Dips and pitta bread were served and the hummus was very nice. The local red wine was tsangarades winery 2011 (14%) and was really really nice. Im going to buy a bottle for my villa.
The mese was served and consisted of a bowl of salad and mini burger, sausages (hotdog like), olives, cheeses, bacon, cold baked beans! pork kebab, another type of sausage, aubergine etc. Now this was my first Mese meal and I was looking to be impressed as the reviews for this restaurant had been good. Sadly I felt as if i was missing something, what is everyone raving about meze for / It was a flop for my taste buds.
I was expecting a bit of variety some chicken and lamb/goat or rabbit dishes but it did not arrive. Every meat dish bought out was Pork based.
My husband is much more travelled and experienced in world cusine than me and he was expecting a better mix of meats also. He felt dissapointed for me as he had promised more than was delivered and he too felt he had been jibbed.
We had a dish of fruit for pudding of sliced Kiwi, apple and what looked like blackberrys but they didnt taste of anything really. The music and dancing was a bit "gimiky, touristy" but im not one to join in with the hokey cokey. I wouldnt rush back to see it again. It was forgetable. Thankfully.
Overall the meal was very disapointing. At €18.00 each and 10.00 wine = total of €46.00 I thought it was way overpriced.
As im writitng this review I am thinking of a comment I overheard some vetran tourists who come to cyprus year after year to the same place. They were discussing about quality of meals and meats they had this year vs the same menus they had last year and how they felt they were getting less for there money. They felt vs last year cheaper ingredients were a higher percentage in meals and an obvious filling with cheaper ingredients and veg over meat seemed apparent.
I am taking this comment into consideration with this dining experience.
A lesson learnt for me that when I order mese again i will ask what the dishes are before i order them.
I wont be going back here. too expensive. all porked out. tacky entertainment. Chav tastic.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jsl_uk
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Slightly dissapointed by the Meze”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Based on reviews we decided to give this resteraunt a go. We got there around 7pm and were quicky seated, good thing as the place became packed out with visitors an locals. We ordered he meat Meze and a botle of the local red wine. The wine proved excellent and was under 10 Euros but unfortunately he meze was entirely pork based which surprised me as I expected maybe some lamb and chicken as well for 18 euros per person.

Overall it wasn't bad but we couldn't justify a higher rating based on the meze (even though it was plentiful). Incidentally, Friday night has traditional music and dancing which was fun but be warned you might be asked to join in!

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AndyY_UK
Nicosia, Cyprus
“Traditional Cypriot food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Welcoming staff,nice traditional cyprus tavern menu...delicious small dips with hot pita bread 2 start off..followed by cyprus chicken or pork souvla cooked just right accompanied with local salad

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Ann P
Warrington
“Delicious Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have enjoyed 3 wonderful meals here. The menu is extensive, the staff friendly and you are made to feel most welcome. The glass balancing act during the live music on Thursday night, has to be seen to be believed!

Visited March 2013