“Great for longer stays...”
Review of Mantra Bell City

Mantra Bell City
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Found that the rooms had a very modern feel to them. Bathrooms in the Studio Apartments can be very small and tight-spaced. Very different room configurations - depending on the floor and wing your room is at.
Most of the staff were attentive and friendly. Nathan (who works as the concierge/chauffeur) was very helpful during our stay.
The Chill Restaurant and Bar serves pretty good food - unfortunately there is not much else around (nearby anyway) in terms of food.
This place is especially ideal for longer stays, especially since there is ample parking available and also storage cages in the basement.

Room Tip: Higher floors are best, as the traffic noise can be quite an issue on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
MgrBellCity, Marketing Coordinator at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Hi S28,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, we appreciate the feedback. Next time you stay, have a chat to our guest services team, there are some fantastic hidden gems within walking distance for dining out, including Little Henri, The Moores Head and Fu Manchu. We’ve passed on your lovely feedback to Nathan, we agree, he’s always helpful and a great guy to have around. Looking forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,392)

Reviewed February 15, 2014

The majority of staff are very friendly and courteous. They are happy to cater to special requests for you, and try their best to help you if you need it. When calling reception you sometimes have to wait 2-3 minutes as they do often seem very busy down there.

We stayed in the Rydges Residence 28 day+ Superior room which was nice. It is very spacious, has a very limited kitchenette (no oven). It is worth noting the bathroom is compact but is as big as it needs to be. There is lots of space for toiletry bags, either under the sink or behind the mirror. The shower is nice and strong for those who like their showers that way. The air con is great and unlimited.

There is a small shop for snacks on the ground floor which is expensive and has limited opening hours but convenient none the less. You can also get sandwiches/muffins/rolls etc. There is a restaurant in the hotel which I didn't try.

The gym is well equipped compared to other hotel gyms I have seen. As another reviewer mentioned, the rooms are clean but lack detail cleanliness. Our room was very tidy, neat and on the surface clean upon arrival but there is some dust around the room, again nothing major - I am a clean freak and it hasn't particularly bothered me. I'd rather dust than grime and bugs of which there are none FYI.

Would stay here again. Of note, the area is considered rough by people from Melbourne, and I can believe it. The area looks tired, vandalised with lots of graffiti etc. however it does not feel unsafe walking from the hotel to the train station (a 5 min walk). The train takes 25 mins to Melb CBD and runs every 20 mins. There is a Coles supermarket open 6am-Midnight just a 5 minute tram journey down the road at Northcote.

Room Tip: I found my room to be much bigger than the show room I looked at the week previous, as well as havin...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank nscu
MgrBellCity, Marketing Coordinator at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Hi nick_scio,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate the feedback and tips to share with future travelers. The area is rapidly developing as an up and coming suburb in the inner north, with lots of great shops and cafes opening nearby which are worth checking out next time you are in the area. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stayed at Bell City Hotel many times always in a studio on the top floor . It is well appointed, modern with a great vibe and good view through floor length glass windows. Staff pleasant , easy checkin. It is conveniently situated near the tram to Melbourne (about 8k). Good facilities such as coffee shop on ground floor and Rydges bar & restaurant. Thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor studio
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi henriettaSydney,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we’re pleased to hear that you always enjoy your stay here. The views from the top floor are the best, good tip for fellow travelers! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I decided to stay at Rydges Bell City due to a convenient location for a funeral and a good internet deal through expedia. I found reading the reviews were helpful to iron out the quirks. This hotel passes my 'would I stay here again' test.
I needed an early check in to freshen up prior to attending a funeral. I made this request on the internet and phoned the night before and this was arranged with no issues. Upon arrival I found it hard to find reception and where to park whilst booking in. Finally parking in a side street some distance from reception. I checked in with a polite lady who asked why I was in town, when I said I was there for a good friends funeral, she replied along the lines "that's good you will have an excellent time then" I think the look of shock on my face might have indicated that she got it a bit wrong and when she realised her error was apologetic. I also had free parking and breakfast on my deal which seemed to be a mystery to the lady, but sorted it with little fuss. Check in should be seemless. I carted all my bags/suits etc up to my room on the fifth floor and my card didn't work in the door. Time was ticking and I had a role in the funeral, I didn't have time to waste. I asked one of the house keeping guests to help me into the room as my card didn't work. She replied to me to ring reception, well hello if I could get into the room to ring, I didn't need reception. When this logistical impossibility was pointed out, she rang reception from the room she was cleaning next door. Reception told her to tell me to go back downstairs to sort it out. Management if you are reading this feel my frustration that I had to cart all my stuff back to reception and then back to my room. Finally I got into my room. My first impressions were good, it had a really nice feel, I like the window seats a lot. I was hoping for a quick freshen up shower, I had been on the road since 5am and it was 39oC, but with all the time wasting there wasn't time. After the days events I arrived back at the hotel and went to Chill for a quick burger and a glass of wine. The burger consisted of cheap bun, meat, lettuce, tomato and caramalised onion, I reckon that a slice of cheese, beetroot something would have made it a lot more interesting. The cost of this could be alleviated by reducing the big serve of fries. It was late in the evening, a mix of patrons, from steroid abusers to business women. I had a good night sleep the bed was comfy etc. I wasn't sure where the buffet breakfast was held, not even in the hotel info. I found it at Chill. Upon arrival the lady said to me "room number" and that's all. Not even "have you been here before" or "there is the food/coffee". Talk about coffee, it was next to cold in the thermos dispensers. The food was lovely and as good as I have had elsewhere. I had a paper on my table and an empty bowl, two cups, plate. I lost count of the amount of times that the waitress walked past my table with empty hands whilst setting up the tables for the next service. There were only two people in at that time and I guess it doesn't matter if the empty plates are taken immediately or not, but other hotels do and it is a nice touch. Now if you are still with me. The room I was in lacked a long term clean. Nothing has been moved in recent times to dust/clean etc. I bent down to plug in my phone charger and found someone elses dirty tissue behind the bed side table. Upon leaving level 3 of the underground car park I heard voices and smelt cigarette smoke. It appears that the staff have a little nook set up for smoking. Not a good look for the hotel, not to mention a fire risk 3 levels underground. I got a good deal on the net, I got what I paid for, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank TraleeTraveller001

Hi Andrew_S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate the feedback. We apologise for the issues that you experienced, our guest services and CHILL staff will be addressed by their managers to alleviate the communication breakdown in the future. We also apologise for the level three car park issue, our staff have been addressed directly about this. We are glad that overall you had a pleasant stay, and hope that next time you are here you have an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed in a Manhattan apartment, which has a small kitchen, dining table and sofa and large bed. Bathroom was very compact and lacked anywhere to place toiletry bags etc. Room was good overall though, very comfy bed and decent furniture in rest of room. The one downside we found on the service side was almost complete inability to get through to reception when we needed to, the calls kept bouncing round the switchboard and ending up at the cheaper hotel next door. Room service trays were also left outside our room for two days, despite calls to reception staff to request collection, which was unsatisfactory.

• Stayed: January 2014

Hi Archie24,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate the feedback. We apologise for the issues that you experienced, we will be following up the communication breakdowns with our reception staff and housekeeping staff to ensure that it doesn’t happen again. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying on one of the famous Rydges Dream Beds, and hope to have you back again soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

With three tiers of accommodation available found Rydges Aluxstay to be conveniently located for easy access to the city and family members living close by. For a serviced apartment it was comfortable, clean & good value.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi OBT46,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate the feedback and hope to have you back again soon.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Together with my wife and two teenage daughters we stayed in a 2 Queen Bed manhattan room. It was a very different experience - I thought we had booked a two bedroom apartment but to my surprise it was a very large and oddly designed studio room.

The room had two queen beds on either side, split (to a degree) by a bathroom that took up roughly one fifth of the room and had two sliding doors for access (which was potentially embarrassing if each party wanted to use the bathroom). You could walk around the bathroom to the other side of the room, however there was a distinct lack of privacy - most of the two main walls had mirrors so you didn't get much privacy at all. You did get a great view of Melbourne CBD out the generous windows, however the fact that you couldn't hide the noise from either TV (again, all in the one room) made it difficult to watch two separate programs.

Beds were very comfortable and staff friendly, and the room service food was delicious, although the hotel is a little out of the way, being a good 30 minutes drive from the city

Room Tip: If looking for a two bedroom apartment, or wanting any provacy, then the 2 Queen Bed Manhattan room...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
MgrBellCity, Marketing Coordinator at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Hi belairtravellers,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we appreciate the feedback. We understand your experience in the two bed manhattan room was not as you were expecting, and appologise for this, our marketing team is looking at how we can better represent the layout of these rooms online. We are pleased that you enjoyed the other elements of your stay, and hope to see you back again soon.

Hotel Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
BreakFree Bell City
Bell Motel
#1 of 3 in Preston
St. Georges Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Thornbury

Been to Mantra Bell City? Share your experiences!