1,616 results
All reviewsbell citybed manhattancoffee shopconvenient locationchill barreception staffquiet roomcomfy bedwould stay againenjoyed my staybuffet breakfastfloor to ceiling windowsgreat value for moneypublic transportmelbournekitchenetteparking
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I stayed at this Motel with my son for 2 nights at $120 a night with 60 other people for my daughters wedding. Arriving Fri and departing Sun. My personnel experience was a tiny room, room was always cold as the heating did not work. Shower was ok, but bathroom was virtually flooded after. Toilet did not have a toilet brush to clean any mess you might have left. TV was very small and too high to watch. Local channels were clear, but the five cable stations were not clear at all and some had no sound. The 2 beds were the smallest single beds I have ever seen, but these 2 beds took up most of the room anyway. Other bad features of this Motel was the check-in. The check-in staff were friendly, but It was always crowded and took so long to get through. The prices for alcohol & soft drinks were over the top and so was the food. The day after the wedding I had a knock on the door at 9.30am, when I answered, a cleaning lady was standing in front of me, mumbled something and said she would be back. I am guessing she wanted to clean the room at 9.30am. I went downstairs to see how my son was going with his breakfast. Unfortunately, as he only wanted baked beans on toast, he was told that he could have them, but would cost $22 as they were part of the breakfast buffet. The quality of the buffet was terrible anyway, but since he was hungry he had no choice. Breakfast closed at 10am, my son ordered 15 minutes before closing and was told whilst eating that he had to hurry to eat & leave. A couple of minutes later, the bossy waitress approached and once again told Aaron to hurry and leave. I then said to her, excuse me, my son will leave when he has finished his breakfast that he paid $22 for and told her that she was very rude. Many of the people in our group that stayed at this ex-hospital Motel did not like it either. People had to change their rooms as the rooms stunk badly. People were awoken by cleaning ladies as early as 8am and some even entered their room whilst they were sleeping which startled them as they were awakened by the person. Many said that they didn't even have a kettle in their rooms. Unfortunately, a BBQ was arranged in advance and payment was complete for 50 people, for a Sunday lunch at $25 a head. Prior to the BBQ, we were once again approached by a waitress and told to vacate an area and disperse or go outside at which she opened a door for us to vacate. This woman was VERY rude. The BBQ was very basic, minute steak, chicken pieces, sausages and onions, corn, potato and a couple of salads, later some fruit and cheese were at hand as well. Not enjoyed by many, certainly no effort was made to enhance the food to make it interesting. A common BBQ at a friends house would have been more appealing.
In closure, this Motel made a small fortune from our group from the accommodation, drinks and food, but the service by some staff wrecked the whole weekend. I can ensure you that zero of our people will be back. Thanks Ron.

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank Bundyrum_7
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2008

Dear Bundyrum_7's,
I appreciate some time has passed since you reviewed the hotel. I appreciate your honest feedback and totally agree that by all accounts what you experienced was indeed very poor. SInce this time the management team has changed with the new opening of the brand new Rydges Bell City. Please be rest assured that we are reviewing all feedback in every medium old and new with the aim to use all comments good and bad as an example to ensure that we achieve the quality of service and facilities expected of us. I do hope that when next in Melbourne you take the time to visit our new property as I am sure that you will be suitably impressed. Once again thank you for outlining your thoughts and I hope we have the opportunity to Welcome you to our all new Rydges Bell City.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 24, 2008

I stayed at this Motel with my son for 2 nights at $120 a night with 60 other people for my daughters wedding. Arriving Fri and departing Sun. My personnel experience was a tiny room, room was always cold as the heating did not work. Shower was ok, but bathroom was virtually flooded after. Toilet did not have a toilet brush to clean any mess you might have left. TV was very small and too high to watch. Local channels were clear, but the five cable stations were not clear at all and some had no sound. The 2 beds were the smallest single beds I have ever seen, but these 2 beds took up most of the room anyway. Other bad features of this Motel was the check-in. The check-in staff were friendly, but It was always crowded and took so long to get through. The prices for alcohol & soft drinks were over the top and so was the food. There was no way that I was going to pay $4.40 for a pot of beer that had 2 inches of froth on top, and $32 for a small steak accompanied with a couple of vegetables. Even a hamburger with fries cost $15. The day after the wedding I had a knock on the door at 9.30am, when I answered, an Asian cleaning lady was standing in front of me, mumbled something and said she would be back. I am guessing she wanted to clean the room at 9.30am. I went downstairs to see how my son was going with his breakfast. Unfortunately, as he only wanted baked beans on toast, he was told that he could have them, but would cost $22 as they were part of the breakfast buffet. The quality of the buffet was very terrible anyway, but since he was hungry he had no choice. Breakfast closed at 10 or 10.30am, my son ordered 15 minutes before closing and was told whilst eating that he had to hurry to eat & leave. A couple of minutes later, I entered the room and checked on my son, and sure enough the bossy thick set Asian lady with glasses approached and once again told Aaron to hurry and leave. I then said to her, excuse me, my son will leave when he has finished his breakfast that he paid $22 for and told her that she was very rude. Many of the people in our group that stayed at this ex-hospital Motel did not like it either. People had to change their rooms as they stunk badly. People were awoken by cleaning ladies as early as 8am and some entered their room whilst they were sleeping which startled them as they were awaken by the person. Many said that they didn't even have a kettle in their rooms. Unfortunately, a BBQ was arranged in advance and payment was complete for 50 people, for a Sunday lunch at $25 a head. Prior to the BBQ, we were once again approached by this bossy Asian lady and told to vacate an area and disperse or go outside at which she opened a door for us to vacate. This woman was VERY rude and was told in some words, to go away and leave us alone. Very basic, minute steak, chicken pieces, sausages and onions, corn, potato and a couple of salads, later some fruit and cheese were at hand as well. Not enjoyed by many, certainly no effort was made to enhance the food to make it interesting. A common BBQ at a friends house would have been more appealing.
In closure, this Motel made a small fortune from our group from the accommodation, drinks and food, but the service especially from the bossy Asian, I can ensure you that zero of our people will be back. Please be aware that I have nothing against Asian people as I travel to Asia every year for the past 11 years and love the people. Thanks.

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank Bundyrum_7
Reviewed December 27, 2007

The Rydges on Bell has re-invented itself as 'luxury student accomodation' (Le Student 8) and offers very competitive rates for stays of 2 weeks and longer.

Features: Shared kitchen, laundry and gym facilities. Internet access can be purchased.

Negatives: I wish they were more upfront about the rooms and the facilities. The rooms are tiny. If staying for 2 weeks, housekeeping is not included (no towels, no toilet paper).

Positives: Its cheap, within minutes of tram and train lines.

All-in-all, its a good bargain but not satisfying.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
EAMCanberra, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2008

Dear Bundyrum,

I Know it has been some time since you made your comments, but I would like to acknowledge your feedback and assure you that your comments are taken very seriously and that the management team have addressed the issues raised by you. In August we will opening our new building next door and will offer the newest Manhattan style apartments in Melbourne along with the best facilities in the local area. I do hope we are given the opportunity to redeem ourselves when you are next in Melbourne and that you can see our exciting new facility.

Reviewed July 12, 2007

I found a lot of some others hair in my bed. The room was dirty. The wall to wall carpets were filthy and discusting to walk on.

Always a long que at the reception. No door to the bathroom, you use the showercurtain as a door.

My friend had to change room two times to escape the cockroaches.

During the week the fire alarm went on three times in the middle of the night. Only one time did the staff announce in the speaker system that the alarm was false. On the other two occasions had I to go down to the reception in the middle of the knight to know that it was a false alarm. There was no excuse or something from Rydges for the fire alarm.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank rrollegunnarsson

Dear rrollegunnarsson,

Some time has passed since your comments but still I feel it is important to post a response. Since your feedback the entire management team has changed and a new focus is now in place at the hotel and I would like to assure you that even now your feedback is important to us and will use your comments as a good example of areas to improve in. Thank you for your critique and that when next visiting Melbourne we would be delighted to welcome you back at Rydges on Bell Preston.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2007

Surprised at the bad reviews here. I stayed at Rydges while my flooded house was being fixed as it's just down the road. Preston is less than 10kms from the CBD and it doesn't take 30 minutes to get to town even in peak hour (unless you get a dodgy cabbie who takes you the long way) The tram does take ages but the train (just down the road) is much quicker.

It is not in an industrial zone at all.

I found the staff friendly and the rooms clean, although a little small for the price.

It's clearly not a city hotel - they're twice the price, but for those wanting somewhere nice not too far from town I'd recommend Rydges.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank DjinnAgain

Dear fellow Melbournian,

Thank you for your support, I too believe that the location and convenience of the hotel is excellent. A lot of work is currently underway and in August we will be opening our new building next door and will offer the newest Manhattan style apartments in Melbourne along with the best facilities in the local area. I hope you come on down to see our exciting new facility.

reagrds,