“Worth It”

BreakFree Bell City
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Look, when you check into a hotel that costs about $70 a night you're not expecting Crown Towers or a Penthouse. What I did get was a nice room that was as clean as it could be and was very comfortable for a nights stay. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean.
The carpet had seen some use but was ok enough to be presentable. The bathroom had everything you needed and the TV worked as well as the split system heating.
The service I got was good and the o/night parking was only $7 dollars. The food at JD's Bar and Grill was good too. Give it a go if you need a quick stop over.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank MattClau
MgrBellCity, Manager at BreakFree Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Dear MattClau

Thanks for the fantastic review! It is great to receive such positive feedback and I am glad to hear you found your stay both comfortable and convenient. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Joel Day
Front Office Manager
Bell City

Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)

Reviewed July 9, 2014

It's a very small room but there was only the 2 of us and we were out all day and only in the room for sleep. JD's diner is very handy and the staff were great except one lady was very snobby and gave me the impression she didn't like what she was doing- which isn't what you would want running your front counter. They need a hair dryer in the bathroom and they also changed our towels and toilet paper while we were away which we thought was invading our space a little bit... Also the fridge is pretty much a bar fridge which we needed an upgrade as we could hardly fit anything in it!
And at 10:30pm there was an announcement saying that something was happening on a floor and further action will be told later, 10mins later we were told on another announcement everything was okay and no further action was required, this was very annoying as we were asleep and it was very loud and disturbing. I will be coming back again hopefully with a lot better luck !

• Stayed: July 2014
MgrBellCity, Manager at BreakFree Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear stephaniemjz12

Thanks for your feedback from your recent stay at Budget 1 Hotel. I'm glad to hear you found the rooms comfortable and accommodating. I am surprised to hear of the service your received at JD's and have passed on your concerns to the department manager. In regards to the Alarm activation you experienced, I do apologise. We are currently undergoing a review of our fire safety systems to help prevent these disturbances from reoccurring. Again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the not to distant future.

Joel Day
Front Office Manager
Bell City

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We stayed there for 3 nights on our way from Adelaide to South America and chose it for its location (not too far from the airport, near our relatives and close-ish to the city) - on those fronts, this place was a good choice for us. We know Melbourne well and have stayed in uglier/more pricey hotels/motels so were weren't totally unhappy with our experience.

However the room is very small once 2 people bring their baggage in. The floor to ceiling windows, while they offer a great view during the day, become a bit of a problem in terms of effectively closing out the chill of the night that comes off the glass, and the morning light/heat. Although it seems as though the hotel may have had a recent-ish renovation, the hallway carpets/floors seemed lumpy and a bit grubby.

We'd probably stay there again if we needed a place for a quick entry and exit to Tullamarine Airport but we wouldn't rave about it.

** BTW Trip Advisor needs to come up with a 'good' category - there's quite a gap between 'average' and 'very good' ...!**

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Netski66
MgrBellCity, Manager at BreakFree Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Hi Netski66,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your thoughts, we are glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.
We appreciate the feedback about the insulation in your room from the floor to ceiling windows and will pass this on to the engineering team.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed here as a delegate at a conference at LaTrobe Uni. The room was fairly clean and tidy and that's really all the positive comments I have about the place. There wasn't a deadlock or bolt on the door and for a lone female traveller, that's a worry. No safe, so had to take any valuables with me as I wasn't keen on leaving them in the room. The room was very noisy as I was next to the lift shaft and was grateful that I had earplugs. I asked to move but was told the building was full. The food in the cafe was ok - a decent pizza. But, the food in the cafe in the main Rydges building was terribly over priced and pretty nasty - they wanted to charge about $5 for HALF of a wrap and the quiche I ended up buying gave me a dodgy stomach! No free wifi available in the room which these days is a must for a business traveller and I wasn't going to pay what they wanted. I wasn't convinced that the roller blinds over the window gave privacy as I could see clearly into several rooms through the gaps in their blinds. I opened the window as the room was very hot (not able to switch the heat off despite it being December) but had to close it due to the smell from the unofficial smoking area beneath. I believe the conference I attended will be using this hotel again this year...I'll be making other arrangements.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and stay at the main Rydges Hotel...you might feel a little safer.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank welsh_in_adelaide
MgrBellCity, Manager at BreakFree Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Hello welsh_in_adelaide,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review. We would like the chance to discuss this with you further and I have sent you a private message.
We hope to have a chance to welcome you back to Sleep&Go.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

First the positive, the staff at check in were nice.

Now the negatives: room was dirty, carpet was filthy, mould throughout bathroom, bedside lamp was broken, two wall heaters covered in mould and dust that didnt work, when asked at reception about heating we were told the only heating in the room was centralised despite having no vents in the room it was freezing. Broken chair in living room, couch was ripped. Bags of dirty stinking rubbish left outside the room, filthy walls and door. And the worst part the bed, it felt like someone had let an air mattress go down. Check out staff were rude.

Wouldnt let my dog stay here, disgusting dump.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chriso328

Hello chriso328,
Thanks for taking the time to write your review.
We were thoroughly disheartened to read about your experience and would like the opportunity to discuss this with your further. We have messaged you our details and hope to have the chance to work this out.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is a terrible place to stay!
I have stayed here for several days over the xmas holiday with family during a trip to Melbourne. My jewellery box was stolen some time on the new year's day, when I was not in my room. It contend several pieces of jewellery which worth more than that holiday and a ring from my mum. The worst part was: the hotel concierge was an absolutely a joke and asked me that was my jewellery insured! Unbelievable!
The room was tiny, noisy without standard set up, worse than a motel.
Do not fooled by the description on their website and Photoshoped pictures.
Stay anywhere else would be better than here.

Room Tip: Choose anywhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lighthouse321

Hi there lighthouse321,
Thank you for your review, however we were saddened to read about your experience and would like a chance to discuss this with you further. I have messaged you privately and hope to have a chance to talk to you.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Stayed at Sleep&Go to attend a conference at Rydges was disappointed with the
room. Power outage,bad smell in the bathroom, noisy. Furnishings have been well used and needs updating. I understand that this cheap accommodation but would
advise traverllers to stay at Rydges or upgrade your room. Didnt feel safe, no lock
internally. Staff pleasant.

Room Tip: Upgrade or pay extra and stay at Rydges, go for a suite instead of a room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank LynneT56

Hello LynneT56,
We were disappointed to hear that your Sleep&Go accommodation was not what you expected. We do have a range of accommodation styles here at Bell City to suit all budgets and needs, perhaps when you are due to return you could contact our reservations team directly and we will work through what the best options are for your needs.
We hope to have a chance to welcome you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
Mantra Bell City
Quest Ivanhoe
#1 of 1 in Ivanhoe
Bell Motel
#1 of 3 in Preston

Been to BreakFree Bell City? Share your experiences!