“Excellent food.”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Durham, Canada
“Excellent food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

The food is excellent. Fresh local produce is used. The atmosphere isn't the greatest but you can overcome it with a nice glass of wine.

• Visited July 2014

Chatham, New Jersey
“Gem hidden in small town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

I had heard good things about Rowan Moon Bistro and on our trip up to an anniversary vacation at wonderful treehouse in the area we decided for lunch at Rowan's. We were amazed at how the chef took simple local foods and combined them into amazing flavors. His complex way of incorporating food to complement each individual component was a work of art. I live in the NYC area and his food rivals top notch restaurants. The local beers were an excellent complement to the meal. The only downside was they were not open on Mondays and Tuesday was Canada Day and they were closed so we only were able to go the one time. We would have loved to go back for more. What a neat discovery!

• Visited June 2014
Markdale, Canada
“Fabulous food at fair prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We've eaten at Rowan Moon a number of times for lunch and dinner. Food is great and prices most fair.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank CanadaPat2013
Durham, Canada
“Thoughtfully made-from-scratch fresh meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

When I entered Rowan Moon Bistro, I entered Peter Rowan's universe: in an uncertain world we all deserve a meal that is certainly good!

Also known as Pepe, this self-made chef is worth his salt. His soups - usually a creamed vegetable - appear and reappear with a variety of lip-smacking spices. Entrees vary from fresh Georgian Bay trout, local lamb and beef, and come in every form from pan-fried to curried! It is perhaps Rowan's Scottish heritage that you can also find - or ask for - the occasional cayenne-strengthened dish.

Deserts always include Bethany Gowan's hazelnut pie and cheese cake. She also doubles as Rowan Moon's silent and efficient waitress.

For a small bistro - and Rowan Moon is a true "Bistro" - this one specializes in local beers, ales, ciders and wines. McLean's Ales hardly ever remain in stock! For children there are organic sodas.

Rowan Moon Bistro is handily located at the crossroads of Ontario Highway 6 and Grey Road 4, right in the centre of the village of Durham, about 110 miles northwest of Toronto (c. 180kms), about a half hour south of Owen Sound.

The restaurant itself would have lost points on my evaluation, except that its deep, dark-red painted cinder-block walls totally match it's chef's personality! You get what you see: salt-of-the-eath good food and drink. As for sauces, over the past year I have been approached several times by Pepe, asking me for my opinion for a new sauce he had concocted. Needless to say, I was a happy guinea-pig!

A final strong point for this restaurant is that its walls are often hung with local art - artists who deliver an equally surprising impact that the chef does with his cooking. Some Saturday nights Pepe invites a band for after-hours entertainment.

Rowan Moon Bistro is open Tuesday-Saturday for breakfast and lunch from 8:00 a.m. till 2:00 p.m.; Thrusday to Saturday for dinner from 5:00 til 9:00 p.m.; and on Sunday for brunch from 10:00 a.m. till 2:00 p.m. My experiences at Rowan Moon over the past year included a sampling of all their meals and I keep going back!

• Visited March 2014
London, Ontario, Canada
“I'll be back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

I was looking for place for me and my dad to spend some time together and have a delicious lunch. ( We both love food!)
I researched the Bistro before going, so I wasn't surprised that the decor wasn't posh. But the aroma when you walked in really feel that you were in for a culinary experience. Not your every day menu that you would just choose...your taste buds danced at every item, so it was fun trying to pick the one that seems most appetizing.
Dad had the Portabella burger and homemade potato/bacon soup...excellent!
My husband had the Llama burger and soup....excellent!
I had the trout burger and soup....I wanted seconds!
My dad doesn't live in Durham so it was a bit of a drive just eat there, but so well worth it. Our server was sweet and helpful...she even took our picture!
I will be back!