“Spice is Nice”

Cuisines: Sri Lankan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Araliya is perhaps a little pricy but food is excellent and the quality of the ingredients perhaps justifies the cost. This is destination Asian dining and if you go in with that attitude you will be fine. They always have a large variety of unusual vegetable dishes , we sampled heaps on this occassion. Standouts were the shredded brussel sprouts with coconut and the okra dish. The slow cooked lamb shoulder(they say it serves 2 but is a very generous serve ) is superb. The accompaniments , breads and the divine delicate string hoppers are always yum . Quite good wine list . They are making an effort with the deserts, especially loved the coconut custard served warm with coconut icecream and toffee shards.

1  Thank Kewbite
There are newer reviews for Araliya

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have been to Araliya many times across the 20+ years it has been serving beautiful food and I could not recommend it highly enough. The owners source and use only the best quality produce on the menu and, as a sufferer of allergies, I can vouch for the healthy eating this provides. I trust their food completely and have never been disappointed in any way with the suggestions made by the charming hostess, who has so patiently introduced us to the stunning cuisine and spices of a culture we knew so little about. It has been fun, delicious and rewarding and an experience of culture and gracious teaching about food that I have never found elsewhere, an enriching journey of its own. I appreciate everything about Araliya, especially the way the owners care so much about the food and the quality of experience guests enjoy. As a Hawthorn resident of around 15 years, I have never tired of this food and the delightful ambience of a restaurant run by people who really care. We need such businesses as their care and passion are so inspiring and, unfortunately, not easy to find in an era of mass production.It is the first place for eating out that we I return to when we have journeyed from Melbourne.

2  Thank CityB21
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We went for the Sri Lankan night with friends and was served very ordinary Sri Lankan dishes. It was not restaurant quality at all. We were not explained what is included in the menu and all the dishes were brought at the same time (entree, main). This explains why the place was empty as we were the only customers that night. This was my third visit to Araliya and can see how the standards have gone down. I will not recommend this place to anybody.

5  Thank Playsolo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Sri Lankan food can be very aromatic and tasty (without necessarily burning your mouth) if the spices are mixed just right and this restaurant provided some wonderful tasty courses even though the selection of food was a bit limited. You can order the amount of "heat", ie chilli, that you want but I preferred to savour the aromatic spices without too much chilli. Everything was great including the Roti. Somewhere to go for a "special occasion" in order to fully appreciate the food.

1  Thank gidsaa
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The food is expensive but great taste and beautifully presented. The wine is very reasonably priced. I was surprised to read reviews on poor service as we were looked after really well.
Will certainly return