“Lovely, quite place for a lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Araliya - CLOSED

Araliya
Cuisines: Asian, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely, quite place for a lunch”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I tried this place as part of my daily lunch adventure along Glennferie road, Hawthorn. I liked the place and the food was very genuine.
The prices for the lunch menu are ok.
The atmosphere was relaxing. just what I needed after a stressful morning at work.

2 Thank Xevak

Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful food, let down by the service.”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

IF you ever notice in a restaurant how the level of service changes when you do not order alcohol, this is one of them. We had legitimate reasons for not having alcohol, but surely we don't need to justify it to a restaurant to get service?

We were then promptly notified of the minimum $40 per head spend for Saturday nights. This, despite nothing stating to that effect on a sign on the premise or website. A big deal was made when we only ordered 4 entrees ($15-28), 3 mains ($32-65) and 4 vegetarian sides ($14-16), 3 rice and 3 breads for 7 diners. We added another main when we were reminded yet again of the $40 minumum.

The food arrived after a short wait and was thoroughly delicious. Beautiful flavours and well balanced spices. Coriander Prawns, Fish Baked in Banana Leaves, Chicken in Spicy Pistachio Sauce and Jaggery Beef were faultless. So were the vegetarian sides-- okra and white bait, pickled eggplant, cauliflower and coconut sambol, cardamon kipfler potatoes. All were freshly made, not sitting in a bain-marie, hence the wait. I had no idea Sri Lankan food was so delicious!

I have no problems with minimum spend, but I need to know that BEFORE I book.
I have no problems with mains sitting at $35 mark, but I DO need the portion size to be slightly bigger. ie, 6 prawns for $35 is a bit much, perhaps 10 prawns??

In the end we did spend about $45 a head without having any alcohol.
Lovely food, but really could do without the snooty attitude.
What a shame when the front of house lets the kitchen down.

Would I go back again? Well, if it's cheaper I can close my eyes and forego service.
But at this price? I need more professionalism expected of fine dining.

• Visited March 2012
4 Thank Glorique
Melbourne Australia
“Excellent tasty Sri Lankan Restaurant”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

A reasonable selection of very tasty Sri Lankan dishes. Nicely served and would highly recommend for an enjoyable evening with friends. Service was good and although no BYO, is fully licensed and have quite a good wine list.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank CatsAustralia
Melbourne
“Delightful Sri Lankan”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Third time here in three years. Very friendly staff and really imaginative and tasty food. Well worth the experience and in Hawthorn, there is not a lot of this calibre. Great selection of veges to go with the mains. Probably a 4.5 but they don't have such a rating!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank c_and_a_Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Highly overpiced for an average meal”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Highly overpiced. Very expensive meals and beverage, The fine dinning restaurants are more cheaper compared to this restaurant. Meals are average nothing exotic to charge that high price.

• Visited February 2012