“So close to great”

Lulo
Ranked #11 of 260 Restaurants in Hawthorn
Cuisines: South American, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A unique Latin-American dining experience in the heart of Hawthorn. Lulo offers a broad range of South American-inspired dishes designed as share-plates for you to enjoy with friends and family. Sip on cocktails at the bar or experience our boutique wine list.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Living in the leafy green suburbs, a delicious slice of tapas can lead one to rapturous delirium. I so wanted Lulo to be that place that I could share with special people that I visited more than seven times. The food was consistent, the jamon delectable , but I needed more. Each time I came (after booking) I was politely asked if it was my first visit...it was not., actually I knew the menu as well as the waiting staff. So I have persevered but I am afraid there are other restaurants who remember my name.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Dined here for the first time last week with some friends from interstate. There were six of us on a really good-sized table which allowed plenty of room for the large number of dishes we ultimately ordered (a small table would have been a disaster!).
The tapas and small dish range was terrific - great variety and reasonable prices.
We tried most of the tapas dishes and each was terrific; highlights were the tuna (raw); crab; Iberico ham and great chorizo but truly, everything was good.
We also had some larger dishes - slow cooked beef; delicious pork belly; lovely field mushrooms - together with two beautiful salads.
The selection of good quality Spanish wines was appreciated. We had several bottles of Tempranilla and several Riojas at about $55 per bottle which was not outlandish.
The sparkling water was very different; high sodium, almost soapy wbut once accustomed to it, it was good.
Service was friendly and overall we enjoyed the meal and experience very much and will be back again for sure.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have dined here on a couple of previous occasions and been well looked after, but tonight we had a less than satisfactory experience. We ordered wine which never came (and had to be reordered), the food came in a great rush including the sides 15 minutes before the mains. There was obviously something strange happening in the kitchen and they had too few staff to cope with a Saturday night. Even had bones in our pork belly! Touch and go....you may have a great night...or maybe not!

1  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed March 2, 2013

On the expensive side but everything was amazing. We had a great waiter who recommended some great wine to complement the meal. Moved outside for a glass of sangria after our meal. Lovely!.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Fantastic food that's very well prepared & worth the price. Service was good & everything flowed well. Only slight drawback is it can get noisy with everyone talking & enjoying themselves. Only a hassle if background noise makes it hard to hear your friends. All up, a great experience & worth a visit :)