“Highlight of my foodie week in Melbourne”
Review of Saint Crispin

Saint Crispin
Ranked #2 of 131 Restaurants in Collingwood
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in a former cobbler’s workshop originally built in 1865, Saint Crispin is in the heart of Collingwood. Saint Crispin is Scott Pickett’s second of four eating establishments. As well as Saint Crispin, Scott also owns Northcote’s two-hatted Estelle by Scott Pickett (ESP), Estelle Bistro and Pickett’s Deli & Rotisserie at Melbourne’s iconic The Queen Victoria Market. Scott Pickett is the essence of Australian hospitality. His generosity of spirit and abundant personality is at the core of his establishments. His understanding of seasonality and respect for Australian growers and producers is testament to his origins.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I'd been given a copy of The Age Good Food Guide by my local foodie friend, and I selected several places for us to eat out during Melbourne Cup week. This turned out to be the high spot - a sensational meal.

We were seated opposite the kitchen. To watch Jo Grbac at work with his team was amazing. My starter was Wagyu Breseola, concealing a steak tartare. Equally mouthwatering was my main of Greenvale pork, heirloom carrot, curried raisin, & saffron. My friend chose the Flinders Island lamb, which he delighted in finishing without giving me the taste I asked for.

We were booked on the early sitting, but service was well paced, informative & friendly. We had started with appetisers of super light pork crackling, and two eel croquettes that were delicious. On wine, we took a recommendation from the sommelier, a Pinot blanc, which we enjoyed.

No room for dessert, so we investigated the new bar upstairs, enjoying glasses of an off-dry Riesling to finish off a superb meal.

Discovered that the exec chefs, Jo & Scott, had previously worked together in London. At a restaurant in Mayfair - The Square - where by coincidence I had eaten 6 weeks earlier, and enjoyed a similar outstanding meal.

1  Thank OscottGold

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We dined at the early seating at St Crispin on a recent Saturday night. Although 6pm still seems too early, the place was full with enthusiastic diners.
The staff were great. Professional, knowledgable, helpful. They made the dining experience special.
We started with cocktails and loved them all. We also enjoyed the complimentary olive macaroons. Stangely sweet and savory.
We had the three course menu. Great value at $60 with a choice from four dishes each course. I had the vege option - spring salad. It consisted of thinly sliced seasonal veges like asparagus and fennel, with goats cheese and pea purée. Light and delicious. My companions all had the salmon and oyster signature dish and raved about it.
I had the pork main and it was great, particularly the braised cheek. Delicious. My friends had the lamb and book thought it was too undercooked.
The chocolate dessert was awesome and we also enjoyed the blood orange parfait.
When we were (politely) asked to leave at 8.30 we were pleasantly surprised at our bill of about $110 each. Not bad for 3 courses, cocktails and several bottles of very nice Chablis.
This restaurant lives up to the hype.

1  Thank AussieJulesW
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I'm so pleased I live in the neighborhood! I've had two lunches here so far and have booked dinner for a Saturday night in the near future. Love the light airy space and the great service - light, friendly and professional. The food is superb - a wonderful mixture of flavour, textures and presentation - and very good value. As a foodie destination Smith Street is becoming more and more interesting. St Crispin's sits well here, lifting the game to a new level.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

St Crispin was named Best New Restaurant in this year's Age good food guide. Expectations high. Expectations exceeded. The service, the mix of flavours, just divine. We sat at the bar, great for two. You can watch the kitchen and the bar, while enjoying the overall atmosphere. Snap, Crackle and Pop is a starter, essentially crackling, but be warned it is quite a hefty serve so don't spoil your appetite! The attention to detail in the dishes is really quite something. Staff will happily explain each delivery and answer as many questions as you might have. A side of asparagus came with crisped zucchini flowers, first time we'd seen that and very tasty. My better half had a pork main and was delighted that it was not fatty at all. I am not going to even try to describe our dishes, you need to experience it, see it, smell it, taste it, savour it. Two courses for $50, clearly you are going to have to book ahead.

1  Thank J0hnnyG13
Reviewed November 1, 2013

What an amazing foody experience
From the comfortable seating , the simple earthy but elegant decor and the delicate and tasty food so beautifully prepared and garnished
this place is first class.
We loved every part of the 3 course meal that we shared amongst the four of us
and the service was just great.
Incredible food and wonderful value for money
we enjoyed Prosecco from Venice and a lovely Pinot grigio also from Venice
this was a lovely way to celebrate 2 birthdays in one.