“Brilliant food in an unpretentious setting”
Review of Gorski & Jones - CLOSED

Gorski & Jones
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Brilliant food in an unpretentious setting”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Gorski & Jones is one of those gem of a restaurant on Smith St, Collingwood. Smith St is a long stretch with a mixed bag of retro, grunge, suspicious, organic foods and "vintage" shops and eateries. The food is excellent, fresh produce and 'just right' portion. The menu and wine list are affordable. The service is friendly and welcoming. Try the chicken poussin stuffed with date/fig....absolutely delicious. Coffee is great too. Ambience is funky, honest and spacious. Gorski & Jones is definitely Worth a trip back again....and again.

• Visited November 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can be good, or not so good”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We have been to G&J for breakfast only a few times. Most of he time it has been good. Unfortunately weekend of October 18 was terrible. The service was consistently poor, from the moment we walked in and weren't seated for ages, although there were many empty tables. Then had to wait for menus and only received them when prompted. No water was forthcoming although requested. Partners toast was ok but my porridge was gluggy and not pleasant. To top it off the coffee was mediocre. Went again this Saturday and it was good, service up to scratch and food fine. So they seem to have good days and bad days, would go back, but if we strike two consecutive bad days, probably won't again. Pity, nice place with good potential. Oh, another complaint is, we wanted to book for dinner previously, but they would only book for inconvenient sittings, so didn't bother. A bit of flexibility would be good.

• Visited October 2013
“So right”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Great bar to sit at, great open kitchen to marvel at, great service to make you feel welcome. Part of a group table, we have this on our list to return by ourselves. We think we can have more fun with the menu. With our group we tried the antipasti platter with lots of interesting cooked morsels accompanying the usual. The group opted for pastas for mains, and while ours were delicious you should ask about size and ensure you have a side or two if necessary. All good, excellent in fact. Grazia.

Visited October 2013
“Great food good value”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Have had breakfast here many times and lunch once. The breakfast is great, good hot cakes and eggs also. The service is great, very friendly and efficient. Would recommend to anyone wanting a casual meal but you may have to queue as it is popular.

• Visited September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Significant improvements requireed to pizzas”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Walked in 2 months ago, atmosphere was nice and the decor inside was pleasant, was hoping for an excellent meal. Was sadly disappointed, lunch menus were very narrow in range, prices were steep but I picked the pizza. No drink order was taken and trying to get a drink was tricky. PIzza finally arrived half hour later in a large blog on the plate. One big crust with a little cheese and orange sauce. Sauce//cheese tasted horrific to a point where I couldn't eat it as the bad flavour was so strong. Pizza is my #1 favourite food and I've tried it everywhere in the world but this was the worst! Furthermore the whole pizza blob was uncut and I couldn't eat it with the butter knife theyd given me. I couldn't get any service from our waitress who was inattentive/apathetic and frankly looked stoned, so I acquired a steak knife myself but to no available it did not cut the concrete pizza with much ease. The waitress finally asked how the meal is and I politely provided the feedback, and she ordered me a replacement which was good. Another half hour later it came out, I tried it and was exactly the same. Horrible sauce favour and horrible cheese once again, in the concrete blob. Even worse we'd been placed in a table directly next to the open air pizza kitchen and all the italian looking chefs were watching my reaction as I tried to politely eat the putrid pizza. I wish I was invisible!

I paid and left and the owner/manager was very nice (I really wish I'd had him as my waiter too as the service was quite poor from our stoned looking waitress). Also a couple next to us had ordered a Risotto I believe and had also not liked their meal, they left with the meal incomplete.

Recommendations for management:

- Reinforce your waitresses to smile and be a little friendlier to customers
- Ensure the waitresses attend to the customer and prompt for any drinks throughout meal
- Overhaul your entire pizza menu, put more normalised pizza styles on their and change the recipes so they don't taste like poison. Maybe check your other dishes too for taste?
- Expand your lunch menus with the selections

If you guys can do this I will come back here as I do like the interior design and manager, and really hope everything can be improved.

• Visited July 2013