“Seat at Kitchen Counter”
Review of Gorski & Jones - CLOSED

Gorski & Jones
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We visited Melbourne last year and truly enjoyed this find of a restaurant. We arrived without a reservation and could only get a table for two at the open kitchen counter. This proved to be a very nice treat- as we were able to see chef, sous chef and one kitchen staff prepare all the meals for that evening's orders. It was great to see this. Our meal was one of the last that evening. Maybe we were starving but the meal was excellent and the scene was very stimulating. I recommend our seats at the open kitchen. It was memorable.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The best meal we had in Melbourne was at Gorski & Jones last night. Our server could not have been more patient or more helpful. The Octopus salad is amazing and the pastas are very good. They do a nice job with gluten free--offering breads and pastas to substitute when you wish.
Wines by the glass and carafe are good and reasonably priced. We'd go back tonight if we hadn't moved on to Tasmania.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

The owners seem to have put a lot of hard work into this restaurant, and the ambience and location should ensure its success, but I regrettably feel they have a long, long way to go and may not survive.

They take themselves way too seriously and need to lighten up and expand their menu a little.

I attended lunch mid-week and the first thing that concerned me was how empty it was here when other restaurants on Smith Street were packed.

The restaurant itself is a lovely space with exposed bricks, high cathedral ceilings and a light filled sun room eatery at the rear.

But what was missing was an upbeat, happy vibe with the staff. The whole vibe seemed very dull and sombre. Our waitress was not rude but just perfunctory and just seemed bored and unmotivated. This definitely has an impact on how you feel at a restaurant.

The spaghetti marinara was quite nice but the veal schnitzel was not particularly good.

I normally can NOT go past the Tiramisu if I enjoy a main, and yet my friend and I both did not wish to order anything else or stay at the restaurant.

They definitely need to work on getting happier, more energetic staff and start making their customers feel important and 'valued'.

I wish this restaurant the best of luck as they have the right idea but it needs a "chutzpah" makeover !!!!!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Good service makes all the difference and if you can back it up with an atmospheric, lively venue and an interesting menu then you are on to a winner. I've been to Gorski and Jones three times this month for dinner, breakfast and a snack and I've been treated well every time. I'm a particular fan of their luscious pate, my partner enjoyed the goat although I found their mussels (a special of the day) disappointing - I will forgive them that, since I am certain if I had told them at the time, they would have responded constructively. The menu is not extensive but it is lively with a particularly sparkling breakfast menu that includes options for the kids. They accommodate food intolerances, use Bonsoy (excellent) and have a few vegetarian options.