“3.5 / 5”

Dining options: Breakfast
Sydney, Australia
“3.5 / 5”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were really searching hard to find the best coffee on our trip to Melbourne, and read lots about this place. I am not sure if it was expectations, but I did fail to see why there was such a line up - the coffee was a 3.5, and the food was a bit of a generic add on to their 'coffee fame'?

The food was much better at Dead Man Espresso - really worth a visit.
Maybe we ordered the wrong things though?

The atmosphere and design of the cafe was great though :)

• Visited March 2013

Footscray, Australia
“fantastic coffee”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

when proud mary opened, we were regulars until her popularity grew and massive queues started forming on weekends. i dropped by again for a cup of coffee on an off hour, it still is very gut! (: rightly so, after all, she was runner up at the coffee contest a few months ago.

Visited February 2013
Hong Kong
“Wish this was in my neighbourhood!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

If you don't live in Collingwood then Proud Mary is a bit of a destination, but nonetheless it seems very popular. Fortunately we were just 2 people so after a short wait we got seats at the bar. As coffee aficionados visiting from Hong Kong - where there's a sad lack of expert baristas - we were really excited to make it here.
Espresso drinks: Expertly pulled of course, and the smooth coffee had rich, tangy notes.
Siphon coffee: I was surprised how much I liked this, as I generally prefer mid to strong coffee and this is a bit lighter. The flavour was great, I added a bit of sugar, no milk, and found myself guzzling it down quick.
What we were most surprised about was how delicious the food is. The Avocado dish came beautifully assembled with thick toast, tomato and a sprinkling of fine herbs. We also had a Pumpkin tart special that was so tasty.

• Visited February 2013
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Truly amazing breakfast choices”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

A small group of friends had breakfast at this very popular inner city cafe. Despite a short wait, which meant a short stroll along Smith St we secured a table inside. The menu had a great selection of breakfast delights. Seasonal produce dominating I had ricotta hot cakes with caramalised peaches. Really worth it and great value for money. A big recommendation.

Echuca
“Swamped by their own success”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

No doubt about: this place produces great coffees and nothing wrong with the food either. I had two cups trying their own blend first (which I wasn't wild about) then a single origin Brazilian coffee which I really liked. Even our own baristas back home (who do a great coffee) are in awe of the crema these guys at Proud Mary produce.
My only quibble was that it was so damn busy and noisy that I couldn't wait to escape outside to one of the eight ONLY seats they are licensed for but where you can hear yourself think and carry on a conversation.
Top marks for the coffee but I'll be looking elsewhere for an equally good cuppa but somewhere quieter.

• Visited December 2012